Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen Responsiveness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the point is that the responsiveness of the UI should have nothing at all to do with data transfer.

I can turn off my iPad's WiFi, sit in a cave, and still I get fully responsive zooming/panning--even though I'm not receiving any map data.

I can turn off my iPad's WiFi, sit in a cave, and still I get fully responsive zooming/panning--even though I'm not receiving any map data.

Then, there's the inevitable slowdown from software updates. My first-gen iPad became well-nigh unusable when I moved up to iOS 5 (from 4 with which it was quite zippy); I had to resort to turning a few features (email notifications and such) off to salvage the situation. I can easily get an iPad 2+ to address the perf problem but, we wouldn't (probably?) have that option with the embedded h/w in the Model S. Even if it performs well at production time, it'll surely not keep up in a couple of years.

Then, there's the inevitable slowdown from software updates. My first-gen iPad became well-nigh unusable when I moved up to iOS 5 (from 4 with which it was quite zippy); I had to resort to turning a few features (email notifications and such) off to salvage the situation. I can easily get an iPad 2+ to address the perf problem but, we wouldn't (probably?) have that option with the embedded h/w in the Model S. Even if it performs well at production time, it'll surely not keep up in a couple of years.

True, especially if it's true that Apple practices planned obsolescence with their updates. Tesla wouldn't have a reason to do that (especially if they offer new features to older cars like they did with the roadster)

True, especially if it's true that Apple practices planned obsolescence with their updates. Tesla wouldn't have a reason to do that (especially if they offer new features to older cars like they did with the roadster)
I don't think Tesla has a need to do huge feature updates with the older cars, esp. if it affects performance that dramatically. I think the car world moves slower (it's not like a new model with significant hardware changes comes out every year like in consumer electronics).

Last edited:
On the same token, as many of us do seem to be planning on keeping their Model S for a long time, I'd rather Tesla make the touchscreen console modular enough that it's relatively easy to swap out the hardware (the motherboard or even parts within and maybe even the screen) at some future date. The Model S with all this gadgetry in it is obviously very different from cars thus far so, we should probably consider it just as much a true computer as a car. Surely, we'd want a processor, memory, wireless radio etc. that'd keep up with some newfangled app functionality say, 5 years from now?!

Then, there's the inevitable slowdown from software updates. My first-gen iPad became well-nigh unusable when I moved up to iOS 5 (from 4 with which it was quite zippy); I had to resort to turning a few features (email notifications and such) off to salvage the situation.
I never had email notifications enabled so perhaps that explains why I only noticed things got faster from iOS 4 to 5. For instance, the "previous page" action in Safari seems quicker along with scrolling within a page.

Just an update after I played with the touchscreen at the Bellevue store for about 10 minutes without a sales guy next to me:

Lots of great things about the touchscreen, but it is *definitely* painfully laggy in the map view. Especially given that the local area ought to be cached, performance isn't great. I'm hoping that software optimizations and/or an upgrade from Tegra2 (betas) to Tegra3 (production) will improve performance.

For others who have played with the screen: you really weren't bothered? Maybe it was because the black one is the engineering prototype and doesn't have the newer processor?

Could someone try the touchsreen with regular winter globes?

Would this one work?....
12535440675L0r7J.jpg

TBH, I saw a lot of boohoo-ing with the iPhone came out. "How am I supposed to use that in cold climates!?!?". People did -- well before special gloves. Now we're talking about a vehicle with the ability to maintain interior temperature. Somehow, I doubt it will be as big a problem as we would (rightfully) expect.