Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow bars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

warby

Apr 17, 2024
exeter
I’m looking for a secondhand M3 LR around 2020 facelift. Ideally i would like a tow bar but there only seems to be one M3 for sale (excluding CPO) with one. Are they really that rare?

I’m assuming they add desirability so dealers would highlight them if they had them?

They went through a stage when I was buying in 2021 where you couldn’t order factory tow bars. I expect it’ll be a rare car.
You can’t retrofit one as the V5 won’t reflect a tow value, so even if you fitted one it’s not be legal.
What do you want it for? Caravan, bike rack, boat etc??

Interesting to note.
Incidentally, how would a non-towing capable towbar be indicated to a subsequent owner? Is the vehicle data plate on the door sill (or wherever it is) different on a factory-fitted towing-capable Tesla?
VIN plate takes president. If you are pulled by the police or VOSA, that’s what they’ll look at (not the V5).

In all honesty, it’s it’s just for bikes, I’d be looking at roof bars. Cheaper and less grief.

• Informative
Reactions: thax1
Interesting to note.
Incidentally, how would a non-towing capable towbar be indicated to a subsequent owner? Is the vehicle data plate on the door sill (or wherever it is) different on a factory-fitted towing-capable Tesla?

You can actually get tow bars that will only fit certain bike racks.

I don’t know how common these are but it will limit bike rack that can be fitted. I know our bike rack is not compatible but a slightly different version is (and with standard tow balls).

I think the bike rack only tow balls have an additional lug fitted which prevents hitches without an opening for that lug to be used. At least I think that’s how it works from the description I have read. A little disappointed that I may need to change my bike rack if I tried it on a different car.

Last edited:
I have a full Tesla Bar and electrics fitted to my 22 plate performance, all parts supplied by Tesla, they would only supply them as I said I was using them for a bike rack, I wouldn't tow as not rated for it but its been absolutely fine with a Electric bike (battery removed) and one other bike.

IMG_2943.jpg

Last edited: