Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch now available on configurator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add tow mode for future resale value or pass?

Placed my order a few days ago without the tow package. Dont plan on towing anything except the off chance of a uhaul trailer.

However, for $1000 is it worth it to add it for future resale value sake/future usability or just a waste of $1,000?

Add tow mode for future resale value or pass?

Placed my order a few days ago without the tow package. Dont plan on towing anything except the off chance of a uhaul trailer.

However, for $1000 is it worth it to add it for future resale value sake/future usability or just a waste of $1,000?
If I'm not going to use it, I would not add it. For me, I added it because I MAY use it, and hauling mulch, landscaping materials, etc on a (rented) trailer as opposed to multiple trips inside is enough of a reason...a buyer can add it just as easily as you, and may prefer an after-market $300 version as opposed to a $1000-1300 version from Tesla.

Reactions: azjohn
I've tried emailing for an update on where in the delivery process my hitch is but I've not received a response. Has anyone else emailed for an update and if so, how long should I expect to wait for an answer?
I never requested a specific update on delivery, only getting the twice weekly updates on status detailing which parts were still not available. I ordered on 6/19 and install was completed on 7/15.

What do you mean by
... only getting the twice weekly updates on status detailing which parts were still not available...
Did they provide you updates twice a week after you placed your order? I've heard nothing since placing my "shop" order. I want to book my service appointment, but want to make sure they have the hitch, or at least have an ETA before I do so.

What do you mean by Did they provide you updates twice a week after you placed your order? I've heard nothing since placing my "shop" order. I want to book my service appointment, but want to make sure they have the hitch, or at least have an ETA before I do so.
Yes. I submitted the service appt request on 6/19. After that, they replied the parts had to be ordered and they would keep me updated. That was twice a week updates, usually the 2nd of the week was a day or so before the appt and accompanied an appt date change delaying a week while waiting for parts. When placing the service appt request, indicate you have ordered parts via "shop" order. It should perform similarly with the scheduled appt.
I suggest scheduling the appt and see what happens.

Yes. I submitted the service appt request on 6/19. After that, they replied the parts had to be ordered and they would keep me updated. That was twice a week updates, usually the 2nd of the week was a day or so before the appt and accompanied an appt date change delaying a week while waiting for parts. When placing the service appt request, indicate you have ordered parts via "shop" order. It should perform similarly with the scheduled appt.
I suggest scheduling the appt and see what happens.
Ah, sounds good. I'll try that and see if it moves things along :)

Thank you,

Even though you buy it ..it appears to not ship until you schedule a service and the sc arranges for the part
This better not be the case. If it is ill be pissed!

I've since scheduled an appointment though thanks to guidance in the thread, but if they only ordered it after I scheduled the instal, it would be very unlikely I'll have it installed before then end of this month ... when I need it.

Also, I've spoken to the ranger twice about it and he's not mentioned once that it will only be ordered after its scheduled.

Not true at all. Ours has already been shipped and received at the Service Center and we have yet to make a service appointment to install.
Although I can't use your experience as a rule, could you let me know how long it took from order to delivery and where you able to track it or were you simply called to get you know it arrived? I ordered mine on July 4th and have heard nothing as far as status. I've scheduled an appointment just in case since I would have to have it before the end of the month, but not sure if that's helping or just passing people off.

Although I can't use your experience as a rule, could you let me know how long it took from order to delivery and where you able to track it or were you simply called to get you know it arrived? I ordered mine on July 4th and have heard nothing as far as status. I've scheduled an appointment just in case since I would have to have it before the end of the month, but not sure if that's helping or just passing people off.
Here is my timeline.
Original app based service request on 6-19,
text messages from Tesla on 6-23 confirming the order,
next message on 6-29 delaying the appt for parts from 7-1 to 7-8,
next message on 7-6 delaying the appt for parts from 7-8 to 7-15
I also received 3 emails regarding parts for the service visit on 7-2, 7-6 and 7-11 showing which parts they were still waiting on.
Mobile service arrived on 7-15 for the install.
All this was automated, I think, based on the service appt. You should start getting these now that you have the appt.

Here is my timeline.
Original app based service request on 6-19,
text messages from Tesla on 6-23 confirming the order,
next message on 6-29 delaying the appt for parts from 7-1 to 7-8,
next message on 7-6 delaying the appt for parts from 7-8 to 7-15
I also received 3 emails regarding parts for the service visit on 7-2, 7-6 and 7-11 showing which parts they were still waiting on.
Mobile service arrived on 7-15 for the install.
All this was automated, I think, based on the service appt. You should start getting these now that you have the appt.
great, thanks for this. I'll see how it all plays out :).

Sure. Ordered the tow hitch on 6/29 and it arrived at the Service Center in Maryland on July 15. I emailed [email protected] on 7/13 and they gave me the FedEx tracking number. Never received a text nor phone call, but communication isn't their strong suit. Have not made an appointment for installation yet.

Sure. Ordered the tow hitch on 6/29 and it arrived at the Service Center in Maryland on July 15. I emailed [email protected] on 7/13 and they gave me the FedEx tracking number. Never received a text nor phone call, but communication isn't their strong suit. Have not made an appointment for installation yet.
thx. I also reached out to onlineorders but haven't heard back from them, so no tracking number. I've scheduled a SC appointment but it's really a shot in the dark since I don't know if they even have my hitch yet.

thx. I also reached out to onlineorders but haven't heard back from them, so no tracking number. I've scheduled a SC appointment but it's really a shot in the dark since I don't know if they even have my hitch yet.

I don't know where I've seen that adding the tow hitch to the Model Y will cost $1200... Seems like I've seen that in several places.
However, Shop Tesla has it listed as $1650
Can anyone confirm what Tesla is charging to add the tow hitch after taking delivery? I ordered mine before it was an option. I'm considering canceling and re-configuring. I've taken into consideration all price changes since my order, so please, just info on tow hitch pricing is all I need.

I don't know where I've seen that adding the tow hitch to the Model Y will cost $1200... Seems like I've seen that in several places.
However, Shop Tesla has it listed as $1650
Can anyone confirm what Tesla is charging to add the tow hitch after taking delivery? I ordered mine before it was an option. I'm considering canceling and re-configuring. I've taken into consideration all price changes since my order, so please, just info on tow hitch pricing is all I need.
I just paid $1299 including tax for my post-delivery tow hitch install last week. They may have gone up. If you have not been given a VIN yet, I would reconfigure and at worst, it should be no more than a couple week delay.