Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow package vs accessory hitch option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already confirmed my build and then I realized that I ordered the tow package but didn't check off the free accessory hitch. Does anyone know what that means? Will I not be able to use the accessory hitch? Can a car have both?
One or the other. 2" vs 1.25" along with the other differences.
Image: http://i.imgur.com/dtBbuck.png
dtBbuck.png

If someone can explain to me in simple terms what the difference is between these two packages I would greatly appreciate it. Take to me like a kindergartener here, I am very confused by the towing terminology and have no experience with it at all. Tow hitch, tow mount, tow ball, tow rack...

What I'm trying to figure out is, if I get the standard 1.25 inch option, will it be possible to attach a light trailer to it, and if so what 'stuff' do i need in addition to whatever hardware Tesla gives me in order to accomplish that?

Something small like this U-Haul sport trailer (just looking for a little extra storage space for snorkel gear/groceries/duffel bags for a vacation... that sort of thing.)
U-Haul: Sport Trailer Rental

Or is that standard 1.25-inch thing only for a little bike/ski rack and that's it (like, nothing at all that has wheels on it will work...?)

Thanks!

If someone can explain to me in simple terms what the difference is between these two packages I would greatly appreciate it. Take to me like a kindergartener here, I am very confused by the towing terminology and have no experience with it at all. Tow hitch, tow mount, tow ball, tow rack...

What I'm trying to figure out is, if I get the standard 1.25 inch option, will it be possible to attach a light trailer to it, and if so what 'stuff' do i need in addition to whatever hardware Tesla gives me in order to accomplish that?

Something small like this U-Haul sport trailer (just looking for a little extra storage space for snorkel gear/groceries/duffel bags for a vacation... that sort of thing.)
U-Haul: Sport Trailer Rental

Or is that standard 1.25-inch thing only for a little bike/ski rack and that's it (like, nothing at all that has wheels on it will work...?)

Thanks!

The 1.25" thing is *only* for simple accessories like a bike rack. It is *not* for towing anything. If you plan to tow something that has wheels on it, you need the tow package (adds the connectors so that the brake lights, etc. on the trailer work and so forth), not to mention the reinforced connection to the car body for heavier weights and high drag.

Peter+

• Informative
Reactions: masam
The 1.25" thing is *only* for simple accessories like a bike rack. It is *not* for towing anything. If you plan to tow something that has wheels on it, you need the tow package (adds the connectors so that the brake lights, etc. on the trailer work and so forth), not to mention the reinforced connection to the car body for heavier weights and high drag.

Peter+

Not sure I agree. It depends if the 1.25" is a class 1 or class ll.

1-1/4" x 1-1/4" - Class I and Class II Hitches

Class I and Class II trailer hitches typically have a 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" receiver opening. These hitches are most often found on passenger cars and smaller SUVs. There are a few Class II hitches that have 2" x 2" receiver openings, but this is not common.

24658_v_tn.jpg
24747_v_tn.jpg
36271_v_tn.jpg
Typical weight ratings for Class I trailer hitches:

• Maximum gross trailer weight: 1,000 lbs to 2,000 lbs
  • Maximum tongue weight: 100 lbs to 250 lbs

Typical weight ratings for Class II trailer hitches:

• Maximum gross trailer weight: 2,000 lbs to 3,500 lbs
  • Maximum tongue weight: 200 lbs to 350 lbs
I currently tow a small trailer with a 1.25" hitch. I am hoping the X 1.25" hitch is a class two and plan to add a carrier something like this

Amazon.com: CURT 18110 Cargo Carrier: Automotive

A class 1 hitch would actually still be enough to support that little uhaul sport trailer I linked to above - though you could only fill it w about 400 pounds of stuff instead of 1000 pounds of stuff.

I guess for a use case like this, you are really just giving up the software package that only comes with the optional
Tow package.

Would love to see documentation from tesla but doesn't seem likely before my order gets locked down tomorrow.

A class 1 hitch would actually still be enough to support that little uhaul sport trailer I linked to above - though you could only fill it w about 400 pounds of stuff instead of 1000 pounds of stuff.

I guess for a use case like this, you are really just giving up the software package that only comes with the optional
Tow package.

Would love to see documentation from tesla but doesn't seem likely before my order gets locked down tomorrow.

I wouldn't count on it. The accessory hitch likely has no real support structure under the car to control something with a significant moment arm on it like a trailer, one good side wind and you could twist the accessory hitch significantly. The tow package has a high strength steel tow bar, that wasn't the case with the accessory hitch they demonstrated at the launch event. The Curt Cargo carrier should work fine though.

And, again, you don't get the electronics harness, which means that any true trailer (like the Uhaul you linked to) is a no-go because you can't route power and control to the tail/brake lights on the trailer, which is required.

Peter+

You have all been very helpful and I am leaning towards getting the 2" hitch. My rationale is that: I have NO plans to tow anything, but I do have lots of plans to use a hitch rack for things like bikes and snowboards. While MOST hitch racks are 1.25/2" compatible the ones that I am considering, those that can swing away for easy access to the trunk, are all 2" only.

I am wondering though, when the hitch receiver (the right term?) is not inserted into the car, is there anything visible on the back of the car? I assume most of the time the receiver won't be attached so I would like everything to be as streamlined as possible. Thanks!

I wouldn't count on it. The accessory hitch likely has no real support structure under the car to control something with a significant moment arm on it like a trailer, one good side wind and you could twist the accessory hitch significantly. The tow package has a high strength steel tow bar, that wasn't the case with the accessory hitch they demonstrated at the launch event. The Curt Cargo carrier should work fine though.

And, again, you don't get the electronics harness, which means that any true trailer (like the Uhaul you linked to) is a no-go because you can't route power and control to the tail/brake lights on the trailer, which is required.

Peter+

I was invited to configure today. The 1.25" factory install hitch has been replaced with the 2" hitch. I have written asking the about of weight the hitch can support and will post an update when I get it.