Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tpms notification disable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I recently changed my stock uberturbine wheels to 19x9.5 with 265/35/19 tires. Obviously I’m not running the factory 42psi cold pressure and running 33psi cold instead.
Due to this I have the little yellow tpms warning. I haven’t tried resetting but will this be a permanent warning or is there a way to bypass?

Thanks
Steve

That is a super low pressure to run on a 4000+ lb car. I run 265's also and still run 42 PSI. Why do you think you would drop 22% tire pressure for going up 12% in width? That's not how tires work.

All that said, the Tesla manual specifically tells you how to reset the TPMS to the pressure you want to run.

That is a super low pressure to run on a 4000+ lb car. I run 265's also and still run 42 PSI. Why do you think you would drop 22% tire pressure for going up 12% in width? That's not how tires work.

All that said, the Tesla manual specifically tells you how to reset the TPMS to the pressure you want to run.
Actually it's not all all. there are many high performance cars (with weight even above 4000lbs) that run in the 32-35psi range cold (i.e. Cadillac CTSV, Shelby GT500, Charger/Challenger Hellcat). Plus you're running a much wider contact patch so the load gets spread out much more... compared to a very skinny, stretched and lower profile tire like the 235s on the uberturbine which probably needs more pressure to maintain its shape with such a high load on it. I'm not surprised why so many owners damage their rims, since any drop in pressure makes the edge of the rim vulnerable to road contact.

My goal is to get the best tire wear with the alignment specs I have (-2.5 front/-2.1 rear camber) and performance on the street and track. I know on the track you have to lower the pressures quite a bit (4-5 psi) to prevent a blowout if you start off too high. On the street the pressures go up about 2-4 psi max so it's not as critical.

I've read through all the tire pressure requirements for all tesla cars and they seem to all fall in the 40-45 psi range (doesn't matter what tire size). Tesla must be doing that to ensure the best efficiency at the expense of ride quality.

Anyways i'll try to reset the TPMS to see if that resolves the problem.

Reactions: Lindenwood
My goal is to get the best tire wear with the alignment specs I have (-2.5 front/-2.1 rear camber) and performance on the street and track. I know on the track you have to lower the pressures quite a bit (4-5 psi) to prevent a blowout if you start off too high. On the street the pressures go up about 2-4 psi max so it's not as critical.
When I go to the track on street tires, I have to run 46+ PSI in order to not roll over onto the sidewall. I can't even imagine the damage I would do to a tire at 30 PSI. I get my best times right around 44 PSI, but I pay for that in tire wear. I run 2.3 degrees front camber.

The idea a tire would blow out at 47 PSI because you started at the published 42 and it went up to 47?? Most of them publish 50 PSI+ right on the sidewall. Check out all the videos online of people showing up with 100+ PSI in a tire to a mechanic. They do not suddenly blow out at 51 PSI.

Anyway, you do you, but just know you're likely reducing performance and tire wear at those low pressures at least with street tires.

To me it sounds like @stevehifi is talking about pressures set when cold, and @gearchruncher I'm guessing your 46+ PSI on track is when hot.

I can't imagine 46+ PSI cold on "street" tires (do you mean 300+ TW?) working well on track...they'd probably overheat and get super greasy with excessive hot pressure in no time if you started them at 46+ PSI cold.

I get using extra high pressure to compensate for soft sidewalls but not all tires need that.

@stevehifi's pressures do sound a little low to me, but not that far off what I run, after accounting for his wider tires. I've been liking 38-39 PSI cold on my 245/45R18 Potenza Sport. Any lower and it feels too low when cold, that overly heavy mushy feeling, but at about 38.5-39.0 PSI cold it feels good and grips well as the tires warm up. (When set to exactly 39 on my cheap pen gauge the car TPMS rounds to 38.)

Adjusting my 39 PSI on 245s for @stevehifi's 265s gets (245mm / 265mm) * 39 PSI = 36 PSI cold. So, yeah, 33 PSI cold is probably lower than I'd run with 265s, but depending on the exact tires, and driving habits (longer drives vs shorter drives), 33 PSI cold doesn't seem too crazy.

Btw when Tesla service overfilled my tires to 45 PSI cold once...that was not fun. They warmed up to like 48-50 PSI and didn't grip well anymore even just in fast street driving. I don't even know why they'd fill to 45 PSI cold, my door sticker is 42 PSI cold, and same on my other Tesla. Maybe their machine was miscalibrated.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I can't imagine 46+ PSI cold on "street" tires (do you mean 300+ TW?) working well on track...they'd probably overheat and get super greasy with excessive hot pressure in no time if you started them at 46+ PSI cold.
Yes, I mean 300+TW tires. The modern 200TW tires aren't street tires- they are track tires with a 200TW on the sidewall.

I assumed @stevehifi is talking about street driving and street tires. But this discussion is pointless without knowing the exact tire he's running and in what environment.

Hey Guys,
Sorry if I missed on the details. I'm running Yokohama AD09s (200TW) 265/35/19 on 19x9.5 APEX VS-5RS.
I ran at autox today and set the tires to 38 cold. I think it would of been better with 35-36psi cold, but I will try that next saturday at another track event.

On the street I think 38psi cold is pretty good, gets up to 40psi. Tesla TPMS doesn't complain anymore.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Cheers,
Steve

Reactions: tm1v2
Hey Guys,
Sorry if I missed on the details. I'm running Yokohama AD09s (200TW) 265/35/19 on 19x9.5 APEX VS-5RS.
I ran at autox today and set the tires to 38 cold. I think it would of been better with 35-36psi cold, but I will try that next saturday at another track event.

On the street I think 38psi cold is pretty good, gets up to 40psi. Tesla TPMS doesn't complain anymore.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Cheers,
Steve
How did you find the AD09s? What's the wear like on them?

Btw when Tesla service overfilled my tires to 45 PSI cold once...that was not fun. They warmed up to like 48-50 PSI and didn't grip well anymore even just in fast street driving. I don't even know why they'd fill to 45 PSI cold, my door sticker is 42 PSI cold, and same on my other Tesla. Maybe their machine was miscalibrated.
Tesla service at Nambe, New Mexico put 45 psi in my 2022 model Y tires once. The official Tesla direction for my car is 42 psi. I have a friend who bought a model S pretty early on, then replaced it when the dual motors came in, then finally replaced that one last year when his warranty was about to expire. He had seen the Tesla direction at 45 psi on his first two model S cars, and was surprised to see it down to 42 on his model 2022.

Maybe the shop machines got dialed in to 45 by someone who knew the old spec?

Anyway, I adjust mine once a month. So during the fall I steadily add air, as the temperature goes down.