Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you probably need the 1st gen TPMS sensors. Theres two versions and only a specific version will work with you car. Call your local service center and give them the last 6 of your vin. They should be able to look up which sensors are correct for your car and sell them to you. They are $50/ea

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
you probably need the 1st gen TPMS sensors. Theres two versions and only a specific version will work with you car. Call your local service center and give them the last 6 of your vin. They should be able to look up which sensors are correct for your car and sell them to you. They are $50/ea

that doesnt answer my question.. the older cars have older TPMS that do not show tire pressure per corner, im trying to find out whether upgrading to the newer ones will give us that visibility.

gotcha, i did not realise older gen Teslas couldnt see PSI. the answer in that case is NO. New TPMS sensors do not work on older gen Teslas that run on the 1st gen sensors.

i have read of users with the older TMPS swap to the newer ones and they do in fact work, however, no one has mentioned whether they are able to see PSI per corner or if they would need a service center to adjust the firmware for this?

Suggestion to OP--consider getting a Fobo TPMS system:

FOBO Tire Plus - FOBO

Looks a bit funky, but works great. User programmable low and high pressure alerts. Local in car alarm module. Works on Androoid and Apple smartphones with full 4 corner display including tire temperature. Works for me--installed on both S (even though my wife's 2015 S70D has the next gen Tesla TPMS).

You can get Tesla to upgrade the entire TPMS system... just getting the new TPMS sensors won't do it, the antenna/pickups also need to be changed out. People have had it done, but Tesla has to do it.

edit: The FOBOs are a great alternative. But I've had 6 sensors stolen already. :(

I tried to get the Denver service center to replace my TPMS system with the new one today since I have had one of them fail and would like the new sys to see the tire pressure per tire but they were told no that tesla is no longer allowing this to be upgraded to the new sys on older cars, I am pretty dissapointed with it as I was more than willing to pay for the upgrade.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I tried to get the Denver service center to replace my TPMS system with the new one today since I have had one of them fail and would like the new sys to see the tire pressure per tire but they were told no that tesla is no longer allowing this to be upgraded to the new sys on older cars, I am pretty dissapointed with it as I was more than willing to pay for the upgrade.

i cant see it being more work than maybe giving your VIN a different firmware, maybe try another SC?

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Let us know how that works out for you.

It's possible that will work, but the conventional collective wisdom of TMC says that's not possible without also upgrading/swapping out the TPMS receivers in each wheel well.

that is a good question i did not ask, they did quote me $600 for the parts which i thought was a bit high, i see the sensors are $50 a pop so maybe the additional $400 is the receivers?

that is a good question i did not ask, they did quote me $600 for the parts which i thought was a bit high, i see the sensors are $50 a pop so maybe the additional $400 is the receivers?

Ah, yes, you didn't supply all the information. Yes, it sounds like they are upgrading the entire TPMS system, which will do what you want. Just upgrading the TPMS sensors won't do it. Good luck.

i cant see it being more work than maybe giving your VIN a different firmware, maybe try another SC?

Interesting, I guess it is just the Denver SC that refuses then, maybe they are just too busy there to perform optional upgrades over repairs.

i found more info to share,

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10081828-5448.pdf

also after speaking with my service center again, it looks like they dont want owners going out to buy the parts and installing it themselves, they are looking to charge me $600 regardless of if i want to do the install myself and just go to them to program it or if i just had them do everything, it is just a bummer since i am one of those guys that are more than capable to do the work themselves to save some money.

So I just got my car back from the Denver SC. They had replaced the one tpms sensor that was bad but about 10miles into the drive home I got the warning tmps was not working and to call tesla for service, so I called in route home by about the 15mile mark and turned aournd and went back. They did the cheking and detemined that all the sensers were working and showed good battery and signal so the issue was with the control unit/reciever piece in the trunk/hatch where ever it is and that needs to be replaced afterall, as I had originally requested a week ago (annoyed) also the SC manger there let me know that the person there who previously told me it could not be done was wrong and it could be done no issue, however they are on backorder all the time as they make a batch then sell out right away. So time wize it could be 6-18weeks before the part is able to be gotten. The SC manager also let me know the part had been removed from the pricebook for retrofits so he was unable to provide pricing info and gave me a guess of $1,200 <ouch> I was expecting 600-800 but he will find out for me the actual cost and let me know, hopefully in that 600-800 range. I also found out from him that the tpms sensors I have will work with the new reciever+wireing harness with no issue, just a firmware update so none of them need to be replaced.

So I just got my car back from the Denver SC. They had replaced the one tpms sensor that was bad but about 10miles into the drive home I got the warning tmps was not working and to call tesla for service, so I called in route home by about the 15mile mark and turned aournd and went back. They did the cheking and detemined that all the sensers were working and showed good battery and signal so the issue was with the control unit/reciever piece in the trunk/hatch where ever it is and that needs to be replaced afterall, as I had originally requested a week ago (annoyed) also the SC manger there let me know that the person there who previously told me it could not be done was wrong and it could be done no issue, however they are on backorder all the time as they make a batch then sell out right away. So time wize it could be 6-18weeks before the part is able to be gotten. The SC manager also let me know the part had been removed from the pricebook for retrofits so he was unable to provide pricing info and gave me a guess of $1,200 <ouch> I was expecting 600-800 but he will find out for me the actual cost and let me know, hopefully in that 600-800 range. I also found out from him that the tpms sensors I have will work with the new reciever+wireing harness with no issue, just a firmware update so none of them need to be replaced.

what year is your car? that is a bit strange because as far as i know, the 2 sensor systems are completely different.