Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track camber: arms vs coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How I set up rear tow at home:

I use toe plates to measure total toe in/out.
I use a laser level to get a zero thrust angle. I have a 24” level that shoots a laser in one direction. I set it on double stacked 2x4’s and have a volunteer hold it up against the rear tire. I measure the distance from the laser beam to the lip of the front wheel. I then do the same on the opposite side. I make sure the laser level is face up one side and face down on the other and the base of the level is against the tire. I figure this should eliminate any chance the laser isn’t perfectly aligned with the base of the level.

This method is not as straightforward as the strings method and ends up with multiple adjustments sometimes. I used to use the strings but I kept bumping something and would have to constantly adjust the strings.

Lowering the car will increase the rear camber, but not much, will do next to zero in the front. Economical way would be do the front camber arm and rear camber arm. Rear toe arm is nice to have, makes toe adjustment easy compare to the stock eccentric bolt.

That's my experience as well. Lowered the front 1.5 inches, it's still just -1 degree, which is fine for the street but not enough for tracking. I suspect that the biggest benefits will come from a combination of coil overs, FUCA to get camber to at least -2.5, and MPP's neat little front bushing replacement to delimit the deterioration of front suspension geometry under extreme cornering loads. All those plus roll bars and race tires? I suspect that's how you can get close to or even beat the 1:54 on Buttonwillow 13. Although that time looks scary good.

• Love
Reactions: destructure00
To the OP, on my last car I spent my money on coilovers and not arms. While the car was easier to drive and was slightly quicker, but the lap times improvement from the arms were undeniable. I am not sure if I will mod my car, but if I do it, I will skip the coilover and just get the front and rear control arm, stock suspension.

I should add if I only get the camber arms and keep it stock height, I shouldn't need the toe arms right?

• Informative
Reactions: destructure00
I should add if I only get the camber arms and keep it stock height, I shouldn't need the toe arms right?

Depends on what you want to do for rear camber. If you want different settings for track and street I'd recommend the toe arms, then you can mark track and street positions and swap between them fairly easily. If you just want to increase camber and leave it, the stock eccentrics should have enough adjustment to get the toe set correctly. They just aren't consistent enough to ba able to mark positions and go back and forth.

Having some fun today. Hopefully will get the rear alignment all set this afternoon and do front arms tomorrow.

I had the alignment down to 1/32" toe in each side (.16deg total) measured from brake rotor to string. Then decided to play with camber. Set it back and went to check again but the car shifted a bit on the blocks, so now I gotta restring the car to see if it's still good.

@MountainPass my 6 year old daughter sends her thanks for the candy in the toe arm box :D

IMG_20200307_112831.jpg
IMG_20200307_112810.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: beastmode13
Having some fun today. Hopefully will get the rear alignment all set this afternoon and do front arms tomorrow.

I had the alignment down to 1/32" toe in each side (.16deg total) measured from brake rotor to string. Then decided to play with camber. Set it back and went to check again but the car shifted a bit on the blocks, so now I gotta restring the car to see if it's still good.

@MountainPass my 6 year old daughter sends her thanks for the candy in the toe arm box :D

View attachment 519183 View attachment 519184

More eye candy / suspension Bling? I can't see you without these for long!
20200307_133547.jpg