Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track camber: arms vs coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two down. Lunch/beer break soon then alignment time.

IMG_20200308_101551.jpg

I see you are running the full stack. :rolleyes:

Gotta start somewhere! Lmao. I wanted to get parts installed first then start tweaking alignment.

Just checked front and have camber 0.9 FL 1.0 FR, .08 deg total toe. Instead of dialing in stockish alignment this afternoon maybe I'll start playing a little bit. Just because @beastmode13 is giving me crap :eek:

I'm going to take the advice given here and set and forget the rear. Will adjust front between track and street with shims and tie rod turns.

How do these look for targets? It's a combination of specs that a few of you have posted earlier in this thread.

Rear - full time:
-2.2 camber
.16 toe in total

Front - street w/ 8mm shim:
-2.2 camber
.08 toe in total

Front - track w/ no shim:
-3.5 camber
0 toe

Not sure how exact I'll be able to get the front camber, will just have to see where I land with the shims.

Reactions: MountainPass
Gotta start somewhere! Lmao. I wanted to get parts installed first then start tweaking alignment.

Just checked front and have camber 0.9 FL 1.0 FR, .08 deg total toe. Instead of dialing in stockish alignment this afternoon maybe I'll start playing a little bit. Just because @beastmode13 is giving me crap :eek:

LMAO. I wish I have that type of influence on my teenagers.

I'm going to take the advice given here and set and forget the rear. Will adjust front between track and street with shims and tie rod turns.

How do these look for targets? It's a combination of specs that a few of you have posted earlier in this thread.

Rear - full time:
-2.2 camber
.16 toe in total

-2.2 camber
.08 toe in total

-3.5 camber
0 toe

Not sure how exact I'll be able to get the front camber, will just have to see where I land with the shims.

I read somewhere -2 camber for rear is where it’s at. Of course I like to be different so I run -1.8 camber at rear. -1.8 works well for me running RE71 @35psi hot, it’s enough to keep it from rolling pass the triangle on the side wall. Street front I use 6mm shim so I get full thread engagement with the short bolt with the washer installed. At the track I love dangerously with @MountainPass #noshimparty and shorten the toe adjuster by 4/6 of a turn.

Also, you want to research on the tire, some work well with lots of camber, while others don’t.

For toe, I’ve zero at rear always. Street front with slight toe-in, our car is mostly rear drive according to my MoTec screen. So the front end up being close zero on highway speed.

• Informative
Reactions: destructure00

Rear - full time:
-2.2 camber
.16 toe in total

-2.2 camber
.08 toe in total

-3.5 camber
0 toe

One question is whether there is differential camber change on compression from front to rear. I've heard that the front barely changes at all as you go towards full compression which is part of why people are recommending so much negative camber on the front if you're tracking the car. Does anybody have any reasonably definitive information on this?

So I currently have 6mm shims installed and only seeing 1.6/1.7 camber in front. Per MPP guide I should be seeing around 2.2. Seems off by quite a bit...is this within the normal variance range?

View attachment 519693

I suspect that those numbers assume you have a coilover kit set to their recommended ride height. If you have stock ride height on the other hand that presumably accounts for the difference in negative camber. At least that's my best guess.

Reactions: destructure00
Well I'm officially admitting defeat on the alignment. Front camber is what it is, 1.6 and 1.7 is what I measured with the 6mm shim. Rears I got to 1.9 and 2.0. Would have tried to get it exact but I get slightly different readings each time I measured the same wheel so figured that was pointless.

Toe is what got me...I set string up on both sides of the car measuring from the wheel face right next to the center hole. Got it dialed in to zero on both rears and <1/32" toe in on the fronts (somewhere less than .08 degrees total). Sounds good right?

Well it turns out that even though the car is advertised with same track width front and rear, the front is somewhere around 1" wider. So me setting dead on the strings actually made it severely toed out.

Tried to set up the strings in a perfect square outside the car to do it again, but somehow ended up with the front narrower than the rear so once I got it dialed in again, I ended up 1/8" toe in front and rear, or 0.3 degrees. I've spent as much time on this as I'm willing to spend, so it's going to an alignment shops this week. Ugh.

Last edited:
Height does not change the front camber, only change the rear.

I seem to recall that my dropping the suspension did result in some modest increase in negative camber just not very much. I'll have to see if I can dig out the old alignment sheets pre coil over. But if that's true that's rather strange suspension geometry. Or at least pretty atypical.