Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track mode exclusive to P3D+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn't surprise me. I ordered a P3D+ from the start, so I'm not directly affected by this "change", but I can understand it from Tesla's side. What I can't support, however, is their complete and utter lack of communication about... almost everything. I went full-send from the start because I don't have a budget concern with this purchase, but the dearth of information about what was actually in the P3D at the start, then what was actually in the + package after the price changes, and now with track mode. Almost none of this was communicated promptly or directly, and only teased out in bits and pieces over time. Add to that the fact that calling Tesla directly and asking questions can get you 100% opposite answers depending on who you talk to, and it shows a very clear chasm in Tesla's skillset.

@PessimiStick,

This sums it ALL up in a nutshell. Their PR on all this has been a disaster but it is what it is unfortunately.

You’re last sentence says it all and is very true as it relates to Ordering, Configuring, QC, Delivery, Training and most importantly Communication. But I still see them as a startup in a new area of auto manufacture in a burgeoning EV market and am ‘all In’ for what they represent and their objective overall.

Ski

Reactions: Jedi2155
I'm totally blown away that people are blown away
There was a 100% path to take, and people chose not to take it.
It’s not like track mode was promised for 3P- and taken away in a bait and switch.
It was never defined. Tesla could have never released track mode and decided to scrap it.
I had plans to pay for supercharging on my Model 3 but it was adjusted after I bought it for gratis. Wonder if I should complain about that?
Comes down to how much risk you want to take.

This is EXACTLY why I went P3D+ when there were so many unknowns on Specs.

But we WERE guessing what we were getting ALL along from the get go. There was always uncertainty on specs. Doesn’t everyone remember?...No one knew anything. We learned as we went. That’s why I ordered P3D+. I wanted to ensure the max chance and possibility of getting the max available whether it was ‘Specced’ yet or added later said.

...I went full-send from the start because I don't have a budget concern with this purchase, but the dearth of information about what was actually in the P3D at the start, then what was actually in the + package after the price changes, and now with track mode. Almost none of this was communicated promptly or directly, and only teased out in bits and pieces over time. Add to that the fact that calling Tesla directly and asking questions can get you 100% opposite answers depending on who you talk to, and it shows a very clear chasm in Tesla's skillset.

Exactly.

If you want "all the stuff," then go all out. That way you won't be disappointed or feel left out. As it stands, there are differences between available models RWD > AWD > P- > P+.

I learned two things today.

Tesla has a twitter account. I can't say I've ever seen anyone mention it in 3+ years of ownership

That I accidentally ordered the right P3D in opting for the + package. I didn't see any rationality in the track mode being limited to it, and I still don't. Sure I've see explanations, but I've never seen anything that makes sense.

When I ordered the P3D+ it was REALLY hard to get straight answers about what was included, and wasn't included. They absolutely should have been clear about the limitation of track mode to the P3D+ the second they announced track mode.

Sure there were discussions here, but people were just guessing.
I followed the same logic into a M3D, figured Tesla was above milking a consumer. :/

@commasign,

But you’re not getting it. The complainers didn’t even want to spend the $5000 on the PUO because hey said it was overpriced ‘Bling-Bling’. They’re NOT going to spend $7500 ($2500) MORE for the same thing.

Ski

You're quite right. I had no intentions of buying some ridiculous large over weight wheels that serve no purpose other than bling bling.

You're quite right. I had no intentions of buying some ridiculous large over weight wheels that serve no purpose other than bling bling.

@jdmasters,

So my objective was to purchase the P3D+ WITH PUO to get all the bells and whistles, i.e. Performance rotor, Performance Breaks, Track Mode (if and when it came and IT DID) and have the OPTION to SELL the overweight 20’s and buy lighter weight wheels for both range AND track times. HEY! What a great idea! Make sense? Why yes...yes it does. Goodbye to your so called ‘Bling-Bling’ if you choose and hello lightweight wheels for range and track AND Track Mode. What a novel concept. Though I may still keep the overweight 20’s if it doesn’t hammer my range too much.

Ski

Last edited:
I want a better setup than what tesla offers.

I would assume that most of those that ordered P+ also want a better setup than what Tesla offers. I bet if we looked at +/- orders 12-mo out from delivery there would be a higher customization rate with P+ cars. I don't think many were "sold" on the Tesla wheels (or badge, spoiler, pedals, lowering just a bit). We have plans to go much further, but wanted the best possible base to start with.

Now what will be really interesting is to watch these discussions evolve a year into the future when a new P+ variant comes out and we are all outraged.

I have already been conditioned by Tesla - buying a MS weeks before they refreshed hardware to AP2. Change is inevitable, just enjoy the ride. A base Tesla is still better than most cars on the road today. A P (+ or -) is going to be a joy to own. And welcome to the Tesla family - where you never know what you're going to get.

Reactions: P85_DA and Jedi2155
@jdmasters,

So my objective was to purchase the P3D+ WITH PUO to get all the bells and whistles, i.e. Performance rotor, Performance Breaks, Track Mode (if and when it came and IT DID) and have the OPTION to SELL the overweight 20’s and buy lighter weight wheels for both range AND track times. HEY! What a great idea! Make sense? Why yes...yes it does.

Ski

I really didn't want to deal with playing salesman, and I would need different tires for the coming winter. That's an extra $8-9000 I would have to spend Right away. And I'd prolly have to sit on those summer tires through the duration of the winter, as there'd be no market for them while snow is on the ground.

Reactions: Grzesiak
99.9999999999999999999% Probably won't get the car to 155 mph either. What's your point?
Well, to me, the point is that people are getting upset about a bullet point, not even truly knowing what Track Mode is yet or what it's capable of. It's not like Tesla is saying "You absolutely SHOULD NOT track your Model 3 without THIS package." My thoughts on Track Mode are that it will be something of a software unlock, not necessarily a finely tuned Performance mode. They will let you customize things that should, for the vast majority of people, never be touched...hence the disclaimer. Track Mode is much more than just about pulling ahead faster than the guy next to you at the stoplight...and honestly, isn't that why a large amount of people are craving a Performance model in the first place?

Is that an assumption? Sure...and still one I'm willing to stand by. Now, as for putting on the Performance package, it's simple: it helps their margins. They may at some point release it for all Performance models, but to expect it is another assumption...

@commasign,

But you’re not getting it. The complainers didn’t even want to spend the $5000 on the PUO because they said it was overpriced ‘Bling-Bling’. They’re NOT going to spend $7500 ($2500) MORE for the same thing.

Ski

Two different groups of people we’re talking about:

1) those who would have gotten the upgrade package if they had known it was required for track mode (e.g. planned to use aftermarket wheels)
2) those who would not gotten performance at all if they had known track mode wasn’t included (e.g. on the fence even for performance and only paid the extra $11k because of all the tweets and hype)

My suggestion is just for those in category 1. Really can’t help those in category 2. If track mode is contingent on larger brakes, folks can complain all they want about the poor communication, but ultimately Tesla can’t sell and install the brakes if they won’t fit on the stock wheels, and Tesla doesn’t support aftermarket wheels. If it turns out that track mode doesn’t require the larger brakes, then I’d agree that Tesla should do right and unlock it for all 3P cars.

Reactions: Jedi2155
I would assume that most of those that ordered P+ also want a better setup than what Tesla offers. I bet if we looked at +/- orders 12-mo out from delivery there would be a higher customization rate with P+ cars. I don't think many were "sold" on the Tesla wheels (or badge, spoiler, pedals, lowering just a bit). We have plans to go much further, but wanted the best possible base to start with.

Now what will be really interesting is to watch these discussions evolve a year into the future when a new P+ variant comes out and we are all outraged.

I have already been conditioned by Tesla - buying a MS weeks before they refreshed hardware to AP2. Change is inevitable, just enjoy the ride. A base Tesla is still better than most cars on the road today. A P (+ or -) is going to be a joy to own. And welcome to the Tesla family - where you never know what you're going to get.

I understand. I'm just voicing my frustration on where tesla decided to draw the line on this one. I know that the cars are ever changing and i'm ok with that for the most part. This particular issue bothered me based on the plans I had for the car and assumptions I made, right or wrong. I'm sure I'll make due and enjoy the hell out of the car once I finally get it.

Two different groups of people we’re talking about:

1) those who would have gotten the upgrade package if they had known it was required for track mode (e.g. planned to use aftermarket wheels)
2) those who would not gotten performance at all if they had known track mode wasn’t included (e.g. on the fence even for performance and only paid the extra $11k because of all the tweets and hype)

My suggestion is just for those in category 1. Really can’t help those in category 2. If track mode is contingent on larger brakes, folks can complain all they want about the poor communication, but ultimately Tesla can’t sell and install the brakes if they won’t fit on the stock wheels, and Tesla doesn’t support aftermarket wheels. If it turns out that track mode doesn’t require the larger brakes, then I’d agree that Tesla should do right and unlock it for all 3P cars.

I am in group 2. It was not a given track mode would be there for the P (non pup), just like it's not a given track mode will not cost P+ owners more money, or even have the features or flexibility track fans will want. That's just more ambiguity from Tesla. My order is still editable, so I changed my order back to regular AWD. I can still upgrade the suspension and brakes, hopefully get a traction control delete at some point from MPP, and will be okay with the reduced 0-30 time, particularly with quite a bit more $$$ in the bank.

@jdmasters,

So my objective was to purchase the P3D+ WITH PUO to get all the bells and whistles, i.e. Performance rotor, Performance Breaks, Track Mode (if and when it came and IT DID) and have the OPTION to SELL the overweight 20’s and buy lighter weight wheels for both range AND track times. HEY! What a great idea! Make sense? Why yes...yes it does. Goodbye to your so called ‘Bling-Bling’ if you choose and hello lightweight wheels for range and track AND Track Mode. What a novel concept. Though I may still keep the overweight 20’s if it doesn’t hammer my range too much.

Ski

Your range IS getting hammered according to what I've read 270.... OUCH

I am hoping for a aftermarket setup that can fit over the BBK AND accept Aero covers.

Reactions: P85_DA
This is BS...
Track mode limited to a car with HEAVY 20 inch wheels, HEAVY rotors, non-track tires (PSS are good, but there are way better for track days), a suspension that this not track tuned, lip spoiler (add weight) , metal pedals (add weight), brake pads (wow you know which compound I want??) :mad:

This is a Tesla Bullet to the the head moment!!!

Part of the reason that track cars are so popular is that there is little to no net nannying going on... Tesla you really need to reassess this money grab... I'm not paying $5K for some Walmart ricer bling, when I can get better products in the after market:

@MountainPass for MPP BBK and suspension components - please root this car - I would rather give you the $5K for premium components and software at this point.
@Titan7 for lightweight forged wheels with R Compound tires

For the record the P85+ never had a restriction (beyond the under developed cooling system...:mad:)

P means Performance... doesn't it.... WTF over? P3D + and - should have track mode... you can keep the other crap, I don't want it... (20's, spoiler, pretty pedals, larger brakes, pads and the 10mm suspension drop pretty much useless)...

What's the financial hit to cancel - $2500?

I want a car that makes me feel like this...

Last edited:
This is BS...
Track mode limited to a car with HEAVY 20 inch wheels, HEAVY rotors, non-track tires (PSS are good, but there are way better for track days), a suspension that this not track tuned, lip spoiler (add weight) , metal pedals (add weight), brake pads (wow you know which compound I want??) :mad:

This is a Tesla Bullet to the the head moment!!!

Part of the reason that track cars are so popular is that there is little to no net nannying going on... Tesla you really need to reassess this money grab... I'm not paying $5K for some ricer bling, when I can get better products in the after market:

@MountainPass for MPP BBK and suspension components - please root this car - I would rather give you the $5K for premium components and software at this point.
@Titan7 for lightweight forged wheels with R Compound tires

For the record the P85+ never had a restriction (beyond the under developed cooling system...:mad:)

Did you take delivery of your car yet? I was thinking of you as one of the people who would be screwed with the announcement.

99% of Tesla's market is people who want to look good driving to Costco so someone like you is going to fall through the cracks.

I couldn't argue going with anything other than 3P- was a risk for Tesla and a risk for the majority of consumers.

Edit:

@Xenoilphobe - track mode is obviously important to you and you are pissed. Once you stop seeing red.. just go 3P+ and sell the high heels, murse, and other shat that comes with the 3P+.

Get the official supported car, then do with it as you will... Straight talk.

Last edited:
Did you take delivery of your car yet? I was thinking of you as one of the people who would be screwed with the announcement.

99% of Tesla's market is people who want to look good driving to Costco so someone like you is going to fall through the cracks.

I couldn't argue going with anything other than 3P- was a risk for Tesla and a risk for the majority of consumers.
Their product manager sucks...
If they had done ten days of research on the competition..... aaaahhhhh thats it, there is no competition, so they can deliver whatever turd they think they can get away with...

Xeno's real P3D+R

18 inch forged light weight alloy wheels with 265 sticky rubber
selectable: Race, Drag, street, driving Ms. Daisy
MPP BBK front and rear with lightweight two piece rotor hats and center vents with ram air brake cooling
Lowered 30mm
36mm sway front, 32mm back
selectable car audio for "downshifts and upshifts" for gauging entrance and exit points on turns.

Make this thing thing a meat eater, crushing the BMW M3's for breakfast, lunch and dinner....... please...

Xeno's real P3D+R

18 inch forged light weight alloy wheels with 265 sticky rubber
selectable: Race, Drag, street, driving Ms. Daisy
MPP BBK front and rear with lightweight two piece rotor hats and center vents with ram air brake cooling
Lowered 30mm
36mm sway front, 32mm back
selectable car audio for "downshifts and upshifts" for gauging entrance and exit points on turns.

Make this thing thing a meat eater, crushing the BMW M3's for breakfast, lunch and dinner....... please...

Yes, please.