Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track mode exclusive to P3D+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I can't support, however, is their complete and utter lack of communication about... almost everything. I went full-send from the start because I don't have a budget concern with this purchase, but the dearth of information about what was actually in the P3D at the start, then what was actually in the + package after the price changes, and now with track mode. Almost none of this was communicated promptly or directly, and only teased out in bits and pieces over time.

I'm sympathetic to the frustration of someone who would alter their buying decision based on which package included track mode (or some other piece of information that has been dribbled out over time). But I also don't think the only culprit is "Tesla's lack of communication." Another possibility is that Tesla itself wasn't even sure what all features would be included when they started taking Performance/AWD orders.

Tesla has always been inclined to figure things out on the go, as opposed to planning things out to the Nth degree before moving forward. Another car company might have waited to release the Performance model until all of these things were figured out precisely (and therefore could be "communicated promptly and directly"), whereas Tesla rolls them out, gun blazing--they didn't even have the pricing figured out, as indicated by the subsequent, and significant, drop in price (no one complained about that one!). The upside is that Tesla moves faster, and customer get the Performance variant quicker; the downside is some negative customer sentiment from those that had to operate on assumptions that turned out to be incorrect.

I just don't think they are being purposefully cryptic and trying to tease out bits and pieces of information over time; rather, they are monitoring sales/demand and figuring things out in real time and making business decisions accordingly. But again, it's fine to take some issue with this strategy, and I sympathize with someone who is negatively impacted by it.

I am lucky that I don't have the car yet... or I would be level 10 pissed, peaked at 9 earlier, slowly coming back down in the 5ish range... I really feel for the poor bastards who waited in line for this car and already have one in the driveway.

Brings back memories of my Feb 2013 P85, which I delayed delivery on until August 2013, good thing I did, because Tesla added red calibers, folding mirrors, parking sensors and other bits.... which I ended up getting.... and then I ended up shutting off the audio on the damn PS's cause it was so annoying....

I want a better setup than what tesla offers. Based on the information at hand when I ordered, "paying up" would have just wasted money and time. I'm so glad this is entertaining for you.

Wasted money and time? You’ll easily spend another $5k on wheels/tires/MPP rotors, springs and brake pads. Too bad there aren’t aftermarket sway bars to match the beefier ones in the +. Oh well. You’ll be wasting more time trying to get everything together, finding a garage to do the install for the rotors/pads/springs, and paying them even more $ to do so. And none of that will come with a factory warranty.

Me? I’ll be taking delivery of my + in 8 days. And I’ll just drive away with everything already as it should be.

This is BS...
Track mode limited to a car with HEAVY 20 inch wheels, HEAVY rotors, non-track tires (PSS are good, but there are way better for track days), a suspension that this not track tuned, lip spoiler (add weight) , metal pedals (add weight), brake pads (wow you know which compound I want??) :mad:[...]
Finally, someone who knows what they're talking about.

[...]. And I’ll just drive away with everything already as it should be.

Yah, maybe. But let's not confuse Tesla's definition of "as it should be" with performance.

This decision reinforces my opinion that Tesla doesn't really understand performance (yet?). Their so-called performance upgrades are much more look and bragging-rights motivated, than actual performance-motivated.

TBH: Maybe they're right and that's the state of the market. BEVs (even Teslas) are still a huge compromise on the track. A track enthusiast isn't going to want any power-limiting, even if it's not that extreme. A track enthusiast is going to want a car that can do all sessions of a track day, rather than having to skip a few sessions to charge. A track enthusiast is going to want a car that's light and nimble - still not doable with the size/weight of batteries today.

BTW: I still hope that they release the increased regen mode separately from track mode .

• Love
Reactions: Jedi2155
I'm totally blown away that people are blown away because this is the easiest game theory decision tree I have ever seen.

Facts known:
Track Mode not mentioned during the ordering process.
Track Mode not a certainty to be a user feature.
Due to track mode not to be certain as a user feature, there is no solid basis to determine which variant it would appear on.

This sets the stage for an extremely simple decision tree.

IF track mode made it as a user feature, which variant would include it?
3P+ / 100%
3P- / 50% - arbitrary value meant to represent a coin flip, but in reality lower than 50% due to 3P+ option having a BBK plus liability and warranty concerns on certifying performance on a particular build out of the factory.
3LRD / 6.25% - arbitrary value meant to represent 4 successive coin flips. Completely unlikely due to TWO higher trims.

In the most generous of scenarios which I believe is even unlikely, assuming track mode inclusion for what amounts to a coin flip is a very bad idea. A car that you are ALREADY $64,000 committed.

64K / Track Mode Probability = < 50%
69K / Track Mode Probability = 100%

There was a 100% path to take, and people chose not to take it. Perceived value of + package, and anything "aftermarket", etc is irrelevant to "solving" Tesla's pareto optimal decision making process.

Not quite so simple, unless you plan to build a dedicated track car and trailer it to the track. For those of us who want a daily driver plus weekend track car and have to drive on roads typical across most of the US, we risk bending those 20" rims. That is not a small probability either. Getting aftermarket 18" wheels to (1) fit over the rear PUO brakes and (2) have the lip that is specific to the Tesla P with PUO may or may not be easy. Without sufficient sidewall height, good luck with those 20" wheels when you hit your first pothole. I think this may be more of a 3-dimensional Pareto front problem to have a car that fits your needs and doesn't bend wheels.

Not quite so simple, unless you plan to build a dedicated track car and trailer it to the track. For those of us who want a daily driver plus weekend track car and have to drive on roads typical across most of the US, we risk bending those 20" rims. That is not a small probability either. Getting aftermarket 18" wheels to (1) fit over the rear PUO brakes and (2) have the lip that is specific to the Tesla P with PUO may or may not be easy. Without sufficient sidewall height, good luck with those 20" wheels when you hit your first pothole. I think this may be more of a 3-dimensional Pareto front problem to have a car that fits your needs and doesn't bend wheels.

It's not optimal for daily driving either but the 3P+ does daily driving better than the 3P- does track.

I'm actually one of the individuals who has some buyers remorse after springing for 3P+ for the reasons you mention plus range issue and plus winter driving to the snow issues. I was under the belief I could just swap in an set of 18" Aeros to get better "daily driving performance".

I am not arguing a viewpoint that fits my particular narrative or agenda. I am stating in general that if a track package was crucial, one should have chosen Tesla's package to be "safe".

Reactions: Jedi2155 and P85_DA
That's great.

I just upgraded my order from non-PUP to PUP. Does this mean I can downgrade again? o_O

I wonder if they'll sell you just the software so I don't have to buy (and sell) those boat anchor bling wheels and have hubs that won't take most 19" wheels.

Don't play games.. Tesla probably requires that you leave the service center with a certain configuration of hardware and software.

You change that after the fact, it's not Tesla's responsibility or warranty.

You pay more to add it after the fact. Bank on it.

Reactions: P85_DA and MP3Mike
Don't play games.. Tesla probably requires that you leave the service center with a certain configuration of hardware and software.

You change that after the fact, it's not Tesla's responsibility or warranty.

You pay more to add it after the fact. Bank on it.

LOL there is another identical thread like this in the normal thread.

You are busy replying both threads. :D

Awesome, now this will piss off everyone who did spring for the 5k package. They'll probably offer wider tires with it too. Are you guys happy yet?!!

Nah, it will probably be just exactly what PUP comes with just installed at a service center and costing $1,000 more.

They probably won't even let you keep the Aero wheels/tires since they wouldn't fit anymore. Though maybe they will let you keep them so you can sell them. (Or put them back on after you take off the Tesla BBK.) ;)

Reactions: Jedi2155
Tesla on Twitter

We’re working to provide an aftermarket Performance Upgrade Package when Track Mode becomes available

Now everyone will be pissed...
upload_2018-8-31_17-27-1.jpeg

Reactions: Shizzrock