Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track mode exclusive to P3D+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They rushed this model to production due to liquidity and short sellers, they didn't even know if track mode was doable at the time. I guarantee anyone who already owns the P3D will be able to upgrade to the track pack after the fact. But even then, people will still be complaining about not wanting it because of the wheels it comes with. Tesla should have been absolutely clear earlier that the brakes are required for track mode.

@Razorback787,

This is a GREAT question I thought of as well. We KNOW that Tesla makes you click on a “Disclaimer” to enable a Track Mode. What legalese this entails we don’t yet know. If you have ANY kind of damage or part wear will it even be covered under warranty? Who knows. That’s my question. What are the lilimtations and restrictions?

Ski

If it is a warranty altering waiver, why would they care what tires and brakes I have? Track mode gives the user enough tweaking ability to cause damage regardless of tire and brake size.

I don’t have any skin in this debate being a RWD owner. Having said that, it is garbage that Tesla didn’t clearly articulate what is and isn’t included in the performance model and packages. Customers should not be left guessing what they are getting, especially at the costs involved with this vehicle.

@alpinebum1,

But we WERE guessing what we were getting ALL along from the get go. There was always uncertainty on specs. Doesn’t everyone remember? Does it get bigger brakes? Does it get Bigger rotors? Are the calipers going to be Performance Red? Does it have Performance Pedals? Are the 20” Sports Staggered as on the Alpha or Square? No one knew anything. We learned as we went. That’s why I ordered P3D+. I wanted to ensure the max chance and possibility of getting the max available whether it was ‘Specced’ yet or added later as @MXWing said.

Ski

:):)
@alpinebum1,

But we WERE guessing what we were getting ALL along from the get go. There was always uncertainty on specs. Doesn’t everyone remember? Does it get bigger brakes? Does it get Bigger rotors? Are the calipers going to be Performance Red? Does it have Performance Pedals? Are the 20” Sports Staggered as on the Alpha or Square? No one knew anything. We learned as we went. That’s why I ordered P3D+. I wanted to ensure the max chance and possibility of getting the max available whether it was ‘Specced’ yet or added later as @MXWing said.

Ski
I remember and was shaking my head thinking how crazy it all was. I’m happy with my RWD, which was a mostly known entity when I ordered :).

• Love
Reactions: Skione65
@alpinebum1,

Ski

You're right. Obviously the right choice was to order a car with performance summer tires that I didn't want on it for $5000. Then immediately spend $3-4000 more on another set of tires for the snow driving I'd have to do in another month or two. instead of getting more capable all seasons and waiting to get the set up I really wanted. All on a guess. I see it now, what was I thinking? It's completely unfounded to be a little frustrated about this.

Reactions: Skione65
Easy solution:

Make the Performance Upgrades package available to P3D- cars via the online store. The 20” wheels are already available there. So Tesla should offer it in a package with the larger brakes, spoiler, speed unlock, lowered suspension?, and track mode. Sell it for $7500 installed (roughly $4000 wheels, $2500 brakes, and $1000 spoiler). Folks who were planning to use their own staggered wheels could buy the upgrade and dump the wheels on eBay.

This may not be the “fairest” solution to those that ordered a P3D- car assuming track mode was included, but at least it would offer an upgrade path and is in line with other items Tesla has sold on their online accessories store (e.g. wheels, brakes, spoiler, hardware retrofits, software unlocks).

Last edited:
Its sort of why I ordered the P3D+ to begin with. I figured that if Tesla ever provided some sort of performance upgrade (ludicrous+?) it would only be for P3D+ models. This seems like the first software feature that is exclusive to a particular trim within a particular model. Sorry, guys ...

The P3D- car is not appropriate for driving on a track, because the pads are totally insufficient. The first guy who tried it Laguna Seca destroyed his rotors after 8 laps which I think Tesla covered under warranty but I doubt they will do that over the longer term (too expensive), so I can understand why "Track Mode" would only be for the cars with upgraded brakes. People who think that the + package is an appearance package have always been deluding themselves, to save $5000.

Except it wasn't about the money. For me the 20" wheels were the deal killer, if I could have paid 5k and had aero wheels that were designed to fit over the brakes I would have but I didn't want the range hit (which seems to be significant) nor the issues that I've read folks with Model S and 21" wheels with low profile tires face. I'm fairly certain a lot of folks made the choice based on these points, and it is pretty shitty to cut them out of the deal. This is a software unlock which should at-least be available to purchase.

Except it wasn't about the money. For me the 20" wheels were the deal killer, if I could have paid 5k and had aero wheels that were designed to fit over the brakes I would have but I didn't want the range hit (which seems to be significant) nor the issues that I've read folks with Model S and 21" wheels with low profile tires face. I'm fairly certain a lot of folks made the choice based on these points, and it is pretty shitty to cut them out of the deal. This is a software unlock which should at-least be available to purchase.

You’re worried about range but you’re mad you won’t get track mode. Excuse me while I lol.

99.9999999% of people complaining won’t even track their car. Ever. They just want to use it on side streets like EAP.

Very true. I'll be honest, all I wanted in my P3D was the faster acceleration and quicker promised delivery time (for tax credit and due to when my S lease ended in September) I am getting both of those things. I wanted to do do things like wheels aftermarket, and I still am happy I am doing those things that way. I don't plan to ever track my car. :)

Like a lot of people said, "Track Mode" wasn't announced until after most of us placed our orders, but I am a bit annoyed how Tesla has been handling the details of what is included with their cars until after people order. (Brakes, Rotors, Caliper colors, etc) There should be a clear definition of what is included. Then again.... everyone had an opportunity to cancel and get their money back once those facts became known as well.

All of that being said, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Track Mode becoming available in the future on all Performance models. It is just a software unlock after all. Who is to say Elon won't change his mind on the future. Don't count on it happening, but it's not like there is a physical hardware limitation preventing it. If you are really upset, direct your energy towards Elon on twitter or tesla customer service. At least someone might hear you and do something about it that way.

I wonder if this is an indicator that future ludicrous modes will only be available to P3D+ models as well?
Wouldn't surprise me. I ordered a P3D+ from the start, so I'm not directly affected by this "change", but I can understand it from Tesla's side. What I can't support, however, is their complete and utter lack of communication about... almost everything. I went full-send from the start because I don't have a budget concern with this purchase, but the dearth of information about what was actually in the P3D at the start, then what was actually in the + package after the price changes, and now with track mode. Almost none of this was communicated promptly or directly, and only teased out in bits and pieces over time. Add to that the fact that calling Tesla directly and asking questions can get you 100% opposite answers depending on who you talk to, and it shows a very clear chasm in Tesla's skillset.

You're right. Obviously the right choice was to order a car with performance summer tires that I didn't want on it for $5000. Then immediately spend $3-4000 more on another set of tires for the snow driving I'd have to do in another month or two. instead of getting more capable all seasons and waiting to get the set up I really wanted. All on a guess. I see it now, what was I thinking? It's completely unfounded to be a little frustrated about this.

@Razorback787,

BINGO!!! ^^^THIS. I didn’t like it either, especially having to pay the $3500 for a Winter Tire package (that now apparently has been discovered won’t even fit the 3mm lip on the PUO rotor hub so I’ll have to go with TSports that are being revamped and milled for the 3 mm lip).
You said it all and exactly the way I reasoned it. I didn’t like it but that’s what was necessary. And I TOTALLY agree with and understand your frustration.

Ski

Easy solution:

Make the Performance Upgrades package available to P3D- cars via the online store. The 20” wheels are already available there. So Tesla should offer it in a package with the larger brakes, spoiler, speed unlock, lowered suspension?, and track mode. Sell it for $7500 installed (roughly $4000 wheels, $2500 brakes, and $1000 spoiler). Folks who were planning to use their own staggered wheels could buy the upgrade and dump the wheels on eBay.

This may not be the “fairest” solution to those that ordered a P3D- car assuming track mode was included, but at least it would offer an upgrade path and is in line with other items Tesla has sold on their online accessories store (e.g. wheels, brakes, spoiler, hardware retrofits, software unlocks).

@commasign,

But you’re not getting it. The complainers didn’t even want to spend the $5000 on the PUO because they said it was overpriced ‘Bling-Bling’. They’re NOT going to spend $7500 ($2500) MORE for the same thing.

Ski

Last edited: