Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Mode on PXXXDL Model S or X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that the model 3 ludicrous cars are getting the track mode has anyone heard if it will be coming to the model S?
It would be a bummer for people who paid almost 2x's as much for a P100D to be left out in the cold.

Anyone hear anything?

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
You really should read the Motor Trend review.

"It's just a software mode. Why doesn't the iPhone feature ___ work on my Xbox?"
I did read the article. What I mean is they need to create custom software for each of them. I'm not implying they port the model 3 changes to the models S and X. It's still just software.

Motors and cooling systems are not the same.
That seems rather obvious... but that doesn't change the fact that a track mode could be made for the others as well. The difference would be the S could only run about 3 laps before overheating (depending on track length). That still doesn't preclude a track mode that could be used for short periods.

• Disagree
Reactions: EVSteve and jaed
The other thing is Elon claims the Model S is still the top of the line flagship over the 3 then gives the model 3 performance upgrades a S does not have. Just does not make sense. For a 160k car vs 85k. It doesn’t help sell the higher margin car for them. Or maybe I am just bitter having a P100DL and not having track mode

I wouldn't write off the possibility. Elon is always adamant that the S is the top performance model still.
Elon Musk on Twitter

Absolutely. Now that they have track mode on their own VDC system in the wild I would expect that they have someone working on fitting it into the S&X. (I assume it will be cheaper than licensing the current Bosch one they are using as well as adding more in-house control.) It would just be part of their continuous improvement effort, and I am sure will cause a big ruckus when people find out that a P100D built on day x doesn't have track mode while one built on day x+1 does have it.

Reactions: P85_DA
Home of Electric GT
Our Vision of Electric GT

The Age of Light is the fast-approaching era of abundance, when all our energy needs will come directly from the sun, stored for us to use freely day and night.

This low-cost clean energy will allow us to improve life for many around the world, especially for those in developing nations where energy today is a luxury. This is indeed an Electric Global Transformation that brings clean city air, slowing global warming, and energy independence.

OUR MISSION: TO EXCITE AND INSPIRE ABOUT OUR FUTURE
Electric GT is a new all-electric global sports event platform which celebrates this Global Transformation - the transformation to sustainable transport and clean energy. We organize events designed to inspire all generations, festivals of human ingenuity and creativity, of our desire and will to make things better, and our desire to enjoy life.

Being the first all-electric circuit racing event in the world, each Electric GT race weekend will showcase emerging innovations and pioneering ideas in parallel to the wheel-to-wheel racing on some of the best race tracks around the world.

The main Electric Production Car Series (EPCS), featuring race-prepared versions of the fastest, most powerful electric cars on offer, will be supported by the Electric GT eKarting and eSports series, both providing new drivers a stepping stone to the best all-electric motorsport.

From the starting lights on the track to the pulsating lights at the after party, every element of each race weekend will be powered by sustainable energy.

Combining great motorsport and a Mediterranean party atmosphere with open worldwide streaming to any smartphone, Electric GT ushers in a new age of exciting and inclusive motorsport.

Join us as we enter The Age of Light.

The present design (cooling) of the S doesn't allow it to be done in such a way as top make it a useful track vehicle.
Two laps to set a record time. The S can do that.
Autocross does not seem to overheat the S.
Does the S use the battery as a heat sink for the motor now? Can software do that in the S? Track mode may help more than we think.