Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track pack is here!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean, the stock 20in wheels are like $700 a piece so their pricing is about what I'd expect from a dealer.

As long as the software is free, I'd rather go spend 2k on parts and do the work myself.

Yea I agree. Whole set of stock 20in would be 2800$. The tires they are offering would be around 1200$. So thats already 4k. 1k more you get better brakes? Not worth in my opinion.

They forget the most important thing: the seats! Current seats are way too flat to handle the lateral G force even with stock tires. To use cup2 on track you need much more racing oriented seats.
Quickfit Pro fixes that problem almost completely. With sticky tires even nice Evo X Recaros with a lot of support couldn't prevent you from using a wheel to hold yourself in the seat on a track. 4 points snug belt does it much better.

For street, though, M3P itself should have come with stronger side support, but operationally it doesn't worth it and M3 is a mainstream car, side support makes it less comfortable when you never see above 0.3G lateral.

Yea I agree. Whole set of stock 20in would be 2800$. The tires they are offering would be around 1200$. So thats already 4k. 1k more you get better brakes? Not worth in my opinion.
Those are forged wheels instead of cast, for sure. Not necessary full forged, but you can expect they fit in tougher standards than random aftermarket. You going to have hard time buying similar hardware for less price. And most people won't downgrade 20 inch size. And it needs to keep some amount of range. So from marketing perspective they did that pack right. Hardcore racers are not wide spread - it won't sell.

Reactions: pow216
I think they are guesstimating tire (and brake) temp, though the battery and motor temps should be real. Will be cool to see someone do a 20 minute session and see how it looks!
Tire temps are measured by TPMS sensor every 25 seconds or so already. They just didn't show it before. It's not surface temps, though, but better than nothing.

And for brakes we know it already that they estimate them. But as long as you are not changing brakes and keeping weight of the car similar to stock - it won't be too far from true.

Amazing that Tesla just add these software features to the existing fleet.
No other manufacturer even remotely close.
Even the "mighty" VAG/VW have now changed their tune from overtaking to keeping up with Tesla.

Cool feature would be to add brake bias on one scroll wheel and drive bias on the other (or other user definable functionality)

As for the hardware - this will be fine for most who just want to do the occasional trackday for fun, but serious tracksters will always want to roll their own so why complain?

I did not driven on Tesla with Cups. I used them on Evo X. And while it was way better than Toyo R888, it was still scary for long drive heavy rain. How is it compare to MSP4S on the street? And which size you use?

Cups and Cup2s are quite different, so if you haven't used Cup2s yet you need to try them.
I've been on track with them in pouring rain with standing water and water running across the track into the braking zones and they have been fine. Yes, they can and will aquaplane a little but the car's weight means it's not a big drama like it would be with a light, stripped out car.

You can't get them up to temperature in cold, wet conditions but you can still do your trackday.

I'm using 265/35 19 all round on 9.5" aftermarket rims.

For those saying the $5500 is steep, bear in mind this is including shipping and fitting. A lot of owners will pay a premium for someone to sort all of this out for them. The rest of us are happy to change brake fluid ourselves, choose our own brake pads and visit the tyre shop to get our own tyres fitted. It's called having a choice.

As long as the software upgrade is free, I'll be very happy.

Tire temps are measured by TPMS sensor every 25 seconds or so already.

The air temperature inside the tyre is being measured by the TPMS, not the tyre tread temp. It's much more useful to measure tyre temperatures across the width of the tyre as I'm sure yo know so although the estimated tyre and brake temps are useful as a guide, in practise we're all better off using a tyre probe/IR themermometer etc. if we want some accurate data to go on.

In my tests so far, once the brake pads were upgraded, the estimated brake temperatures were out by a fair margin but over time it's going to be possible to work out an offset. The rate of change seems to be fairly accurate though. It's certainly more than we'd get on most other cars and I'm sure the algorithms will be improved over time.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Cups and Cup2s are quite different, so if you haven't used Cup2s yet you need to try them.
I've been on track with them in pouring rain with standing water and water running across the track into the braking zones and they have been fine. Yes, they can and will aquaplane a little but the car's weight means it's not a big drama like it would be with a light, stripped out car.

You can't get them up to temperature in cold, wet conditions but you can still do your trackday.

I'm using 265/35 19 all round on 9.5" aftermarket rims.

For those saying the $5500 is steep, bear in mind this is including shipping and fitting. A lot of owners will pay a premium for someone to sort all of this out for them. The rest of us are happy to change brake fluid ourselves, choose our own brake pads and visit the tyre shop to get our own tyres fitted. It's called having a choice.

As long as the software upgrade is free, I'll be very happy.
Ok, more car weight - makes sense. I don't have here 265x35x19, only 275x35x19, and with 1940kg of full weight, it's not very high load on a pavement. I already bought MSP4S, I would need to waste them first, which is difficult (I destroyed stock 4S in 1 track day, though, they were too small to cope with the heat). I'm watching test comparisons on YT - Cup2 braking distance and lap times are 15% more on wet vs 4S. Dry time is a 5% (by memory) improvement with Cup2 over 4S.

My point of view that 4S is tremendously better for street + a bit of track. You can also see that on ratings of those 2. But if one is willing to change tires for the track - why not go all-in and get r-compound slicks. If we had RE71R in EU - I would jump on them.

Good to know. How many daily driver street miles would you expect Cup 2's to last? 6-8K miles?

The air temperature inside the tyre is being measured by the TPMS, not the tyre tread temp. It's much more useful to measure tyre temperatures across the width of the tyre as I'm sure yo know so although the estimated tyre and brake temps are useful as a guide, in practise we're all better off using a tyre probe/IR themermometer etc. if we want some accurate data to go on.

In my tests so far, once the brake pads were upgraded, the estimated brake temperatures were out by a fair margin but over time it's going to be possible to work out an offset. The rate of change seems to be fairly accurate though. It's certainly more than we'd get on most other cars and I'm sure the algorithms will be improved over time.
My understanding of how they could estimate brake temperatures - once you change pads, offset calculation would be too complicated. And even worse if you have not standard rotors, which for the track you most certainly would want to change. The tire temperature of the air in the tire is better than nothing (you can also guess it by the pressure increase), so it's very welcome that they brought it up on the screen. The alternative is Izze-Racing / Izze-Engineering - that's another 3K USD minimum. And another 2K for brakes. And those are the cheapest reasonable sensor options.

No one is asking what compressor overclock is? What about the type of brake pads?
It's the same as what Track Mode was doing before already - running A/C on full speed - it's going to kill compressor much faster, but as long as it's track-only - should be fine and decreases coolant temperature for motors/batteries. And btw, turning off cabin A/C would most certainly help cooling motors and batteries better.

Ok, more car weight - makes sense. I don't have here 265x35x19, only 275x35x19, and with 1940kg of full weight, it's not very high load on a pavement. I already bought MSP4S, I would need to waste them first, which is difficult (I destroyed stock 4S in 1 track day, though, they were too small to cope with the heat). I'm watching test comparisons on YT - Cup2 braking distance and lap times are 15% more on wet vs 4S. Dry time is a 5% (by memory) improvement with Cup2 over 4S.

My point of view that 4S is tremendously better for street + a bit of track. You can also see that on ratings of those 2. But if one is willing to change tires for the track - why not go all-in and get r-compound slicks. If we had RE71R in EU - I would jump on them.
Depends on your particular situation.
In the UK, most trackday organisers stipulate a roll cage if you run slicks.
I don't run the Cup2s on the road other than when I drive to and from the track. I think most owners getting the track pack will swap between the track set and road set TBH.

My understanding of how they could estimate brake temperatures - once you change pads, offset calculation would be too complicated. And even worse if you have not standard rotors, which for the track you most certainly would want to change. The tire temperature of the air in the tire is better than nothing (you can also guess it by the pressure increase), so it's very welcome that they brought it up on the screen. The alternative is Izze-Racing / Izze-Engineering - that's another 3K USD minimum. And another 2K for brakes. And those are the cheapest reasonable sensor options.

You're getting pretty serious if you want to measure your tyre temperatures with that much precision,but some might.
The brake temp offset isn't that complicated inmy experience. I cross referenced rotor temps against the estimated brake temps reported on a few trackdays now and the difference was around 100 deg. once I got them to working temperature, so as long as I bear that in mind when I go to a different track which is heavier on brakes, it should help to understand what's going on.