Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track pack is here!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they are guesstimating tire (and brake) temp, though the battery and motor temps should be real. Will be cool to see someone do a 20 minute session and see how it looks!
I think its more of a representation of tire slip/spin

its too instant of a change for actual temp measurement (even using tpms)

just a graphical display of which tires are slipping and likely getting warm

Reactions: FlyNavy01
No one is asking what compressor overclock is? What about the type of brake pads?

It's the same as what Track Mode was doing before already

One of the YT videos I watched mentioned the Overclock operates after the Track Mode is turned off to continue the cooling process for the battery/drive system. Like a Turbo Timer on Turbo'd ICE car that kept the engine and lubrication pumps running for X amount of time after the ignition is turned off.

One of the YT videos I watched mentioned the Overclock operates after the Track Mode is turned off to continue the cooling process for the battery/drive system. Like a Turbo Timer on Turbo'd ICE car that kept the engine and lubrication pumps running for X amount of time after the ignition is turned off.
I think that's another option in the menu and it means, as I understood, that it will continue pushing full cooling power even if it's not required by current temperatures. Point if that is to reserve some cold in motors and batteries so that you have more time before next overheat. Overclock is just higher than nominal frequency of a/c invertor.

I only want the software upgrade. Do you think it's going to be available on its own?

It's too bad the guy in the video is a Bubblehead. The software package update looks really interesting but the hardware is frankly not the way to go. A 245/35 tire on a 20in wheel it's not remotely enough tire to control a car as heavy as a model 3. You'd be much better off getting one of the sports coilover kits, a 19-inch wheel with a 265 / 35 Tire at a bare minimum if you want to track the Car, or better yet an 18 x 10 wheel and a 275 / 40 Tire. Although the Michelin Cup 2 tires will certainly hold up better on a track then the OEM Pilot Sport 4S, they're overpriced and they're just not enough tire for the job, and they're just plain scary in the rain. And if you do have some version of 'Sliders' baked into track mode version 2 setting them 100% to the rear is not the way to go either. But all this is predictably what happens when you have media personalities who are race car wannabes introducing this kind of Technology. It's the Triumph of fluff over substance.

It's too bad the guy in the video is a Bubblehead. The software package update looks really interesting but the hardware is frankly not the way to go. A 245/35 tire on a 20in wheel it's not remotely enough tire to control a car as heavy as a model 3. You'd be much better off getting one of the sports coilover kits, a 19-inch wheel with a 265 / 35 Tire at a bare minimum if you want to track the Car, or better yet an 18 x 10 wheel and a 275 / 40 Tire. Although the Michelin Cup 2 tires will certainly hold up better on a track then the OEM Pilot Sport 4S, they're overpriced and they're just not enough tire for the job, and they're just plain scary in the rain. And if you do have some version of 'Sliders' baked into track mode version 2 setting them 100% to the rear is not the way to go either. But all this is predictably what happens when you have media personalities who are race car wannabes introducing this kind of Technology. It's the Triumph of fluff over substance.
Agree with most of that apart from the Cup2s being scary in the rain. Have you driven on Cup2s (not Cups) in the rain?

If they did anything that sleazy in terms of requiring an expensive and frankly ill-informed Hardware purchase to get the software there would be torches and pitchforks outside of corporate headquarters.

If they offered ill-informed hardware to improve the performance of the LR RWD, I’d be the first in line at Corporate HQ...... too bad the only option is putting money towards an actual performance model

You mean like offering the track mode software only on the performance model?

Well that's highly unpopular too but at least has a rationale whereas forcing people to buy tires and wheels that aren't even the best formula for tracking the car in order to get the latest tracking software would be ridiculous by almost any standard. I do agree Tesla should allow a path forward for all wheel drive and rear-wheel drive owners for a fee. This would make people feel a whole lot better who don't want to sell their current version to get a performance version but who still want track mode. It might have the unintended consequence of undercutting some third party solutions to the excessive software nannies, but I'm sure people would line up for track mode on those other versions.

Well that's highly unpopular too but at least has a rationale whereas forcing people to buy tires and wheels that aren't even the best formula for tracking the car in order to get the latest tracking software would be ridiculous by almost any standard. I do agree Tesla should allow a path forward for all wheel drive and rear-wheel drive owners for a fee. This would make people feel a whole lot better who don't want to sell their current version to get a performance version but who still want track mode. It might have the unintended consequence of undercutting some third party solutions to the excessive software nannies, but I'm sure people would line up for track mode on those other versions.
I guess i just expect the worse scenario. Then when it happens Im not crushed and when it doesn't I’m pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: dfwatt
Agree with most of that apart from the Cup2s being scary in the rain. Have you driven on Cup2s (not Cups) in the rain?

It's possible that my hydroplaning experience was limited to the earlier version. But cup 2s still don't have impressive water evacuating capability. If I knew I was going to drive on a really wet track I would definitely pick the 4S over the cup 2