Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track pack is here!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A breakdown of the top ten TM2 features. Quick read, beats watching the bubbleheads. Still don’t get the point of overclock feature as the way described. You need to charge in between sessions anyway. And as of now, there isn’t a public accessible SC on any tracks, so the drive to SC is plenty of time to cool down and precondition for SC session. Perhaps, it’s a future proof feature for upcoming SC installation at the tracks? One can always hope. I guess in a few weeks we will find out for ourselves with the 2020.8 OTA.

Top 10 Tesla Track Mode V2 features for the Model 3 Performance

It's possible that my hydroplaning experience was limited to the earlier version. But cup 2s still don't have impressive water evacuating capability. If I knew I was going to drive on a really wet track I would definitely pick the 4S over the cup 2
On the Model 3 they are impressive in the rain. The first time I had them on the weather changed and it bucketed down all morning. There was standing water into the braking zones (entering at 100mph+). At no point did I feel I was going to lose it. I didn't have to tip-toe around by any means.

But, yes a Model 3 on PS4Ss that day would have been quicker over a lap for sure.

On the Model 3 they are impressive in the rain. The first time I had them on the weather changed and it bucketed down all morning. There was standing water into the braking zones (entering at 100mph+). At no point did I feel I was going to lose it. I didn't have to tip-toe around by any means.

But, yes a Model 3 on PS4Ss that day would have been quicker over a lap for sure.

I think the PS4s might be the best wet weather track tire that's not a track tire. It's better in the wet than the re71 and the wet weather keeps its temperature down so it doesn't disintegrate and chunk like it does in the heat on a dry track. I'm always amazed by the high limits the car has on a wet road with those tires. Looking forward to getting a nearly squared setup with 265 / 30 and 275 / 30s. With sliders that might be a viable setup without too much terminal understeer. At least on a cold day. Realistically though if I want to track the car I've got to get track rubber and my toy budget has been severely depleted.

A breakdown of the top ten TM2 features. Quick read, beats watching the bubbleheads. Still don’t get the point of overclock feature as the way described. You need to charge in between sessions anyway. And as of now, there isn’t a public accessible SC on any tracks, so the drive to SC is plenty of time to cool down and precondition for SC session. Perhaps, it’s a future proof feature for upcoming SC installation at the tracks? One can always hope. I guess in a few weeks we will find out for ourselves with the 2020.8 OTA.

Will be really interesting to see what this does to people's best times. Should give a whole lot perhaps almost too many tuning options?

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I am still in the process of learning my car, will just leave all the settings at default until I know the “natural” state behavior by heart.

Speaking of tuning and tweaking I was looking for your tutorial on how to replace the rear rotors and disconnect and safely remove that incredibly annoying electronic parking brake. I couldn't find it - can you direct me to the link?

A few questions (speculation welcome since no one has tested the track package):

1. Will range be negatively affected going from the PS 4s tires and wheels to the SC 2 tires and wheels?

2. Will you have to swap out the brake pads for ordinary use and/or winter?

3. If you haven’t taken delivery of your M3P+ yet (like me), would Tesla buy the stock 20s from you and/or give you credit? If not how hard would it be to sell a new set of the stock 20s?

A few questions (speculation welcome since no one has tested the track package):

1. Will range be negatively affected going from the PS 4s tires and wheels to the SC 2 tires and wheels?

3. If you haven’t taken delivery of your M3P+ yet (like me), would Tesla buy the stock 20s from you and/or give you credit? If not how hard would it be to sell a new set of the stock 20s?

1. Almost absolutely. While these wheels are lighter, the much stickier cup2s will lower range

2. Highly unlikely to need to swap. But don't be surprised if these pads arent the greatest as a compromise. Or if there is some squeal

3. Doubt tesla would give you credit for stock 20s. They arent that hard to sell on ebay but also dont fetch a great price

Reactions: destructure00

I've never seen particularly good data on rolling resistance in this type of track tire but it's safe to assume it's somewhat higher than even a Max performance summer Tire like the Pilot Sport 4S. How much higher is guesswork but I would guess a 2-3% increase in Rolling resistance at a minimum. There may be some additional aerodynamic drag losses associated with the tire because it is nominally wider although the OEM 4S has an 8.8 inch wide tread which is wider than the generic Pilot Sport 4S so that may be a wash. The wheels are lighter so that might offer at least a modest gain although that affects more acceleration than range. You probably wouldn't want to run these tires on the road because they don't last for long and they're expensive.

I doubt these are any version of radical trackpads probably a dual-purpose pad that has some track utility and a little more heat resistant than the stock pads but it's likely still very streetable. If anything I suspect they're probably marginal on the track so you will not have to swap out pads on the street.

There is a decent market for OEM 20s with the original Pilot Sport 4S. Especially if you drop the price. The tire itself lists for 330 bucks a pop. The tire has a bigger market and interest base than the wheel. But if you drop the price on the combination so that the wheel is only costing a hundred bucks or so I suspect you'll sell them pretty quickly, especially if they are virgin have no miles and no road rash.

Last edited:
Speaking of tuning and tweaking I was looking for your tutorial on how to replace the rear rotors and disconnect and safely remove that incredibly annoying electronic parking brake. I couldn't find it - can you direct me to the link?

No need to remove the motor. Chock the tires, put the car in Tow mode to disengage the parking brake. Then disconnect the plug from the EPB motor (pull the gray locking tab out, then press down on it while pulling to release), get a standard 9v battery with some wire leads attached. I use leads with thin alligator clamps on both ends. The EPB motor connector is D shaped. Connect the negative battery terminal to the pin on the flat side of the connector, and the positive to the curved side. Should have enough juice to retract the motor/screw.

#4 in that list mentions data being "printed". If it even fractionally approaches the Cosworth Performant Data Recorder that some of GM's performance cars have, it will be a windfall for us track rats. Video with data+GPS overlay w/lap times would be the shiznit.

Reactions: dfwatt