Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track pack is here!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm assuming you meant that spacers would reduce understeer rather than reducing oversteer. But that aside, this makes no Dynamic sense. Widening the track at the rear does not clearly reduce understeer. And in terms of a "neutral feel" a suspension with staggered wheels and tires still feels pretty neutral most of the time on the street until you get close to the limits. Then the understeer becomes clear.

All other things being equal, rear wheel spacer might give you slightly more grip in the rear (big if), possibly giving you more understeer. The Model 3 isn't super unbalanced or oversteer happy like the older Porsche 911 (I don't mean the throttle induced oversteer). You stick wider tires in the back than the front, you will end up making the understeer worse.

Well the package can make a day at the track safer and look good as well.

No serious track guy is taking Tesla Track Pack seriously. And I'm serious about that!

To stop joking for just a second, the track pack is a joke. The wheels are way too heavy, most track guys want 19 in wheels at the biggest and most are running 18s, so it's really a complete item of total disinterest from the standpoint of the serious track guys. The whole thing is a joke frankly.

• Funny
Reactions: MarcG
Do we know if we can get these performance brake pads from Tesla? Has anyone figured out which pads Tesla uses on the Track pack?
I ordered the rear "track package pads" from Tesla because my current Endless EX90 track pads have serious brake drag due to the lack of spring tabs that are on the OEM rear pads. They were adding ~30wh/mi to my energy usage and tons of dust.

The Tesla track pads are quite overpriced, $500 for the rears only. I haven't taken them to the track yet but I'd imagine they're a compromise between stock and the Endless pads I was running. But at least I have no more pad drag which is why I got them.

• Informative
Reactions: dfwatt
No serious track guy is taking Tesla Track Pack seriously. And I'm serious about that!

To stop joking for just a second, the track pack is a joke. The wheels are way too heavy, most track guys want 19 in wheels at the biggest and most are running 18s, so it's really a complete item of total disinterest from the standpoint of the serious track guys. The whole thing is a joke frankly.
If it gets a few more Tesla owners interested in doing track days, that's a good thing isn't it? Yes, they may then realise they've not got the optimum setup but some of them may only want to track their cars a couple of times a year anyway.

When I started club racing many moons ago I realised there are 3 types of driver:
1. The ones who just want to win
2. The ones who might have a chance of getting near the front sometimes but realise they will probably never win
3. The ones who just want to take part and are happy driving round at the back

Without the category 2 & 3 drivers, we would have had a grid of maybe 5 cars at each race which would have looked pretty bad to the spectators and wouldn't have been finacially viable for the clubs and track owners.

The 'Track Pack' is more of a marketing exercise than anything else but let's not be too negative about it if it leads to more Teslas taking to the track.

Reactions: SigNC and Zoomit
Track package wheels are flow formed, not fully forged. Tesla removed the "forged" part from the wording when they released them.

Interesting. Thanks for clarifying that. It suggests that they flirted with violating truth in advertising and you had to wonder how any forged wheel could weigh 28 lbs. I'd have to say that the whole Track Pack thing was badly managed. They need to get somebody in there who knows what they're doing. This kind of product just screams Amateur hour.

If it gets a few more Tesla owners interested in doing track days, that's a good thing isn't it? Yes, they may then realise they've not got the optimum setup but some of them may only want to track their cars a couple of times a year anyway.

When I started club racing many moons ago I realised there are 3 types of driver:
1. The ones who just want to win
2. The ones who might have a chance of getting near the front sometimes but realise they will probably never win
3. The ones who just want to take part and are happy driving round at the back

Without the category 2 & 3 drivers, we would have had a grid of maybe 5 cars at each race which would have looked pretty bad to the spectators and wouldn't have been finacially viable for the clubs and track owners.

The 'Track Pack' is more of a marketing exercise than anything else but let's not be too negative about it if it leads to more Teslas taking to the track.

Understood and agreed. I might have a slightly different parsing however about the varying psychology and motivations of people lining up on the track for a typical Tesla or similar Sports sedan event:

1) semi-professional guys who are totally hooked on racing. It's in their blood, and they spend their spare time thinking about how they can shave fractions of a second off their last best track time. And all their spare coin. This probably corresponds with your #1 group pretty nicely.

2) guys who wish they could be in the top group but either don't have the money or the time but are still pretty addicted to racing. They may struggle a bit with the consuming / addictive aspect of all this because of other commitments like spouses, jobs, kids, Etc.

3) guys who are curious just to see what racing around a track is really like and who may segue into one of the first two groups after a few experiences or who simply drop out because they realize this is something that requires a fairly serious commitment. Or they discover they simply don't have the talent and ability to drive the car close to its limits but not over.

Understood and agreed. I might have a slightly different parsing however about the varying psychology and motivations of people lining up on the track for a typical Tesla or similar Sports sedan event:

1) semi-professional guys who are totally hooked on racing. It's in their blood, and they spend their spare time thinking about how they can shave fractions of a second off their last best track time. And all their spare coin. This probably corresponds with your #1 group pretty nicely.

2) guys who wish they could be in the top group but either don't have the money or the time but are still pretty addicted to racing. They may struggle a bit with the consuming / addictive aspect of all this because of other commitments like spouses, jobs, kids, Etc.

3) guys who are curious just to see what racing around a track is really like and who may segue into one of the first two groups after a few experiences or who simply drop out because they realize this is something that requires a fairly serious commitment. Or they discover they simply don't have the talent and ability to drive the car close to its limits but not over.

Exactly. And I see these groups in the UK too at track days, but the number of Cat 1 drivers is really very small and even a lot of the Cat 2 drivers don't understand the technicalities well enough to realise they are using the wrong tyres, pads, rims etc. on their cars. They buy the ones which look the best or have been marketed well on forums and in magazines.

Then there's also quite a high proportion of Cat 3 drivers here as well and I hope some of them will be new Model 3 owners who maybe haven't had such a high performance car before and fancy giving it a go on track. For them the track pack is an easy decision. I'm sure I'll meet some of them at tracks as time goes on and then I can gently push them in a better direction maybe. Or they may not be bothered about going any faster or stopping better because they're not going that fast in the first place. But as long as they take part, it helps with the revolution.;)

Reactions: dfwatt
Category 4:

ZDlBwVOmmHM9EuChK1OHML9ckKe-j_hKzIbxjmjSjHo.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Vaillant