Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track pack is here!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good info, thanks. I am still interested though... Frankly, it's the wheels that I like. The design is the best of a Tesla rim so far IMO. Plus, the larger size and the staggered set up will add to the sporty look of my P3D+. Thinking I do the upgrade wear out the first set and then go back to PS4s or similar (assuming they make 'em in those wheel sizes) if the Cups noise and durability bug me.

I like them too but they are not staggered. Which is why I am passing.

FWIW you don't want staggered wheels on the track. All that is going to do is induce understeer.

Do you think that the extra software control and the sliders that will allow you to apportion torque front and rear would allow people to run slightly staggered setups? Something perhaps like 265 Front and 275 rear or 275 front and 285 rear?

That's for either the exceptionally skillful or the just plain stupid. Given the shortage of exceptionally skillful people I suspect some really dumb asses are going to turn that on and wreck their cars!
Dyno mode is really not that challenging to deal with. I can understand some my not be able to cope but it's really no more than a car with driver aids turned off and we've been able to do that on most cars for years if you know what to press and for how long ;)

Dyno mode is really not that challenging to deal with. I can understand some my not be able to cope but it's really no more than a car with driver aids turned off and we've been able to do that on most cars for years if you know what to press and for how long ;)

Yes but you have skills. A fair number of people inexperienced in a car this powerful I would rate as a 50-50 chance to spin out and have a serious accident while they're trying to show off their new toy.

Do you think that the extra software control and the sliders that will allow you to apportion torque front and rear would allow people to run slightly staggered setups? Something perhaps like 265 Front and 275 rear or 275 front and 285 rear?

I guess I just don't see the benefit to that. It would still likely result in some understeer and then you can't rotate the tires so your life would be reduced. I think the ultimate tire setup on the 3 is a set of 305's all around.

Reactions: dfwatt
I guess I just don't see the benefit to that. It would still likely result in some understeer and then you can't rotate the tires so your life would be reduced. I think the ultimate tire setup on the 3 is a set of 305's all around.

Is that what they were running on the highly modified model 3 that set the one minute 54 second mark at Buttonwillow? The 275s that I have on my car seem huge . . .

Last edited:
It's entirely different with high-torque, low inertia drivetrains though. Watch MPP's video on dyno mode and how Sasha demonstrates how you can spin the rear tires up to 100mph in around a second or two on low traction surfaces. ICE cars don't behave like that.

It's entirely different with high-torque, low inertia drivetrains though. Watch MPP's video on dyno mode and how Sasha demonstrates how you can spin the rear tires up to 100mph in around a second or two on low traction surfaces. ICE cars don't behave like that.
Yes, but we're talking low traction as in snow or a skid pan, which demand restraint and caution in all cars without electronic aids.
On a wet track with winter tyres I found dyno mode very controllable and predicatable.

And ICE cars can behave as unpredictably if you're not careful. Turbocharged cars with a lot of boost and lag, in particular.

Last edited:
Hmm what, makes no sense. Bigger wheel allows you to fit bigger tires, but you stick more grip in the back than the front. You will get more underwater. Keep tires the same and wheels wider isn’t going to make a dramatic difference, neither will the spacers or whatever.

I believe the appearance package is what you are looking for.

Reactions: MasterC17
FWIW I don't drive on a track. 1/2 inch spacers on the rear axle would probably be sufficient to reduce the oversteer to more neutral feel, I just don't like using spacers.

Then I have no idea why you would want Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's as that is literally the only situation you would want them for. Not sure how spacers on the rear axle is reducing understeer?

Aftermarket is the way to go for what you're trying to accomplish.

Reactions: mattack4000
FWIW I don't drive on a track. 1/2 inch spacers on the rear axle would probably be sufficient to reduce the oversteer to more neutral feel, I just don't like using spacers.

I'm assuming you meant that spacers would reduce understeer rather than reducing oversteer. But that aside, this makes no Dynamic sense. Widening the track at the rear does not clearly reduce understeer. And in terms of a "neutral feel" a suspension with staggered wheels and tires still feels pretty neutral most of the time on the street until you get close to the limits. Then the understeer becomes clear.

It looks like the update with version 2 of track mode is getting pushed out to our two cars right now. Very interested to see this!

Seriously configurable. Really curious to see what it does to terminal oversteer vs. terminal understeer if you adjust the sliders. G meter is seriously cool. Appears pretty accurate.

20200309_181818.jpg

Attachments

• 20200309_181818.jpg
    20200309_181818.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited: