Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Tire/wheel Set Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A7 isnt really either. Any hoosier slick is incompatible with even any water

A7 vs R7 is what temp the tire has to be at for maximum grip. A7s grip at lower temp so are better for autox
Yah, temp was the other thing that I latched on to. Thanks for the info.

I think the "never drive on highway" was enough to push me away from hoosiers. I have limited garage space and household tolerance for going too deep into the track fun.

R7 didn't sound compatible with rainy climates though (from other links at tirerack), like at all even if it's just dew. No?

Tread-less track tires and standing water don't get along, regardless of brand. Certainly true for Hoosier.
You will not have much trouble with due or even wet track, beyond the extra time required to get tires up to temp.
Standing water + tread-less R-comp's == ditch.

I think the "never drive on highway" was enough to push me away from hoosiers.

That's just a CYA disclaimer.
You can definitely driver R-comps on the highway, but you will be wearing them off needlessly.
Hoosiers are particularly sensitive to heat cycles, so you don't want to drive on them needlessly, else they will "cycle out" and grip will fall off.

What would you replace the RE71Rs with on the track? Hoosiers?

Pick one from this list:
Tire Rack

An incremental step up from RE71R's would be Toyo R888, then Pilot Cup 2's, then Hoosiers.
I don't know anyone who runs Trofeo's, and they are a bit over-priced.

HTH

Great points! But idk, i feel like RE71R is pretty darn close to Pilot Cup 2 if not equal or more grip (i've ran both on the same track). Treadwear numbers for RE71 are notoriously/artificially high and they're pretty darn sticky, though they get hot fast.

I read a bunch of review before I went with RE71R. It is faster and more consistent than R888. I have done 5 track days on my RE71R, then still have another 4-5 track day in them. I had them remounted inside out to even out the shoulder wear due to front stock camber. I installed MPP front camber arm with 8nm shin for the last two track days at BRP, we wear looks much better than stock camber. I think 6mm or 4mm shim would be the right setup for RE71R. FWIW, tires has different side wall construction, some likes as much negative camber as possible, RE71R isn’t one of them. Research more track / racing dedicated forum for reference info.

Last edited:
Tread-less track tires and standing water don't get along, regardless of brand. Certainly true for Hoosier.
You will not have much trouble with due or even wet track, beyond the extra time required to get tires up to temp.
Standing water + tread-less R-comp's == ditch.

That's just a CYA disclaimer.
You can definitely driver R-comps on the highway, but you will be wearing them off needlessly.
Hoosiers are particularly sensitive to heat cycles, so you don't want to drive on them needlessly, else they will "cycle out" and grip will fall off.

Pick one from this list:
Tire Rack

An incremental step up from RE71R's would be Toyo R888, then Pilot Cup 2's, then Hoosiers.
I don't know anyone who runs Trofeo's, and they are a bit over-priced.

HTH
I run Trofeo's. They were $356/tire on tirerack and they heat cycled them for me, so not bad at all in my opinion for the class of tire.

I've found them to be better than Cup 2's in the dry but maybe slightly worse in the wet, but that's relatively subjective. They're my track tires so I don't care too much about wet performance. They're also generally a few lbs lighter than similarly sized Cup 2's I've noticed, as well as more than a half inch extra tread width.

Here's my RS4s after 6 HPDE3 sessions. Need camber in a bad way!

IMG_20191117_075116.jpg
IMG_20191117_075146.jpg

Rear caliper clearance
View attachment 424538

Hi,

I'd like to get the Dekagram 19x9.5 B DKB9514355 (for reduced weight and the availability to ship internationally) but can't figure out how the less concave profile looks.

From the detailed photos posted by destructure00 (thank you), it looks that the spokes should clear even if they were straight. Konig were unable to confirm this, or share a photo of the 19x9.5 in profile B.

Does anyone have similar photo of the inside of a Dekagram profile B, or a PDF of the M3P front brake?

Quoted wrong picture.

I'd like to get the Dekagram 19x9.5 B DKB9514355 (for reduced weight and the availability to ship internationally) but can't figure out how the less concave profile looks.

I reluctantly order a set of Dekagram 19x9.5 Profile B - finally test fitted them this morning, and they do clear the front calipers, just barely, with around 5mm space between the spokes and the caliper.

fit1.jpg
fit2.jpg