Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Track Tire/wheel Set Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also purchased some Konigs from Discount Tire, and it came with the long nuts. I was very not happy. But, then I calmed down. Still, they are heavier, non-standard in shape, and stick out so far they look funny. I spent money on these wheels to save weight, and I didn't appreciate the added weight.
Anyway, I re-used the nuts that came with my winter wheels from Tire Rack, and it seems to be fine after like 4k miles. I measured the weight difference on my kitchen scale, but do not recall right now.

I was also dissapointed that my Konig Ampliform 19 X9.5 5-114.30 35 DGMEXX wheels were about 22 pounds. With the Potenza RE71R
235 /40 R19 92W SL BSW tires, it was still a lot lighter than stock. (Also, I would recommend avoiding 235mm wide tires on 9.5 inch rims; they look silly. I'll find out how they perform at autocross in a few days though.)

I also purchased some Konigs from Discount Tire, and it came with the long nuts. I was very not happy. But, then I calmed down. Still, they are heavier, non-standard in shape, and stick out so far they look funny. I spent money on these wheels to save weight, and I didn't appreciate the added weight.
Anyway, I re-used the nuts that came with my winter wheels from Tire Rack, and it seems to be fine after like 4k miles. I measured the weight difference on my kitchen scale, but do not recall right now.

I was also dissapointed that my Konig Ampliform 19 X9.5 5-114.30 35 DGMEXX wheels were about 22 pounds. With the Potenza RE71R
235 /40 R19 92W SL BSW tires, it was still a lot lighter than stock. (Also, I would recommend avoiding 235mm wide tires on 9.5 inch rims; they look silly. I'll find out how they perform at autocross in a few days though.)

So the obvious question is why didn't you get the 265 / 35 - 19 re71r? That seems to be an amazingly popular Tire in that size for the model 3 for both autocross and track work.

So the obvious question is why didn't you get the 265 / 35 - 19 re71r? That seems to be an amazingly popular Tire in that size for the model 3 for both autocross and track work.
Because the 235's were lighter, cheaper, and probably more efficient on the road. And, I wasn't sure if this car was going to end up being my autocross car or not. But, I'll probably go wider next time, but that's mostly because they look silly stretched wide like that.

They did perform very well at a "track" day yesterday. Seemingly even tire wear after 4 hot laps. Tire pressures were 42-45 hot, and tire temp was pretty even across the tire about a minute after the finish. I have pictures if anyone is interested, but it certainly wore better than the stock PS4S tires seem to. I'll probably run lower tire pressures next time to get better grip, as I was still pretty far from the triangles for roll over. The brake disks show a little uneven wear streaks, which was surprising after just 4 laps. But, they're still fine.

Looks much more practical and ready for track use. After your next track session, let us know whether you still just end up wearing the outside of the tires...I am just curious how much value there is in wider tires without the camber also being adjusted. Eventually I'll need to decide between 8.5 and 9.5 if I end up getting autocross wheels.

Here's what the tires looked like after the first track day. I ran them at 40-41 psi hot. Didn't roll over much at all.

IMG_20190825_111040.jpg
IMG_20190825_102212.jpg
IMG_20190825_111057.jpg
IMG_20190825_102236.jpg

Thanks for the pictures! Still looks like you are wearing the outer tread block pretty hard relative to the inside though. What was the track and the conditions?

Those black rotors are pretty cool.

Bondurant Main track, it was a night event. Still plenty hot, probably started at 100 or so and ended about 90 degrees. I've got my eye on the new MPP control arms that are coming out soon, that will likely be the next mod.

Dekgagrams in 19x9.5" fit the M3P? What is needed to fit over the lip on the hub, 3mm spacer?

Depends on the offset! Should definitely be possible to make that fit though - I think you could make it work with a 35mm offset though it would be pretty tight (maybe 4-5mm clearance or so?). This is a picture of an ET35 18x8.5 Dekagram wheel fitted to a P3D+. Bigger diameter means more clearance. You could go with 35mm or lower offset depending on the desired poke.

You don't need a spacer; hub bore of 73.1 is plenty big to clear the lip. You don't have to do hubcentric rings but it is kind of annoying to mount the wheels without them. I don't use hubcentric rings. It's fine. Just be careful tightening and centering to get them stud centric.

IMG_5175.jpg

So it would be more than 4-5mm clearance since the bigger diameter would be further up the control arm right?

I would probably do a 3mm spacer to get it off the small lip and then just use hubcentric ring on the 64.1 hub. I just need to figure out if it will hit the outside fender when lowering it 1.5" or so?

So it would be more than 4-5mm clearance since the bigger diameter would be further up the control arm right?

Yes.

would probably do a 3mm spacer to get it off the small lip and then just use hubcentric ring on the 64.1 hub

I see. I think 3mm is enough to get it off the lip but I've not tried that myself, and it's a bit hard to measure, so not 100% sure. Easy enough to get a space and just see I suppose. Someone here probably knows.

If you're not planning to track the car the hubcentric ring is probably fine and might even be worth it for making mounting the wheel easier. It's just one more thing to fiddle around with, though. And if you're tracking the car and it is plastic, it will melt.

I just need to figure out if it will hit the outside fender when lowering it 1.5" or so?

No idea on that one!

It will mainly be an autox car, with some possible light track days. I save the Evo and Miata for main track duties. Ya I understand the rings heat up, but I just don't like not having anything resting on the hub, but I guess that 3mm lip is enough to hold the wheel steady. Thanks!

I just don't like not having anything resting on the hub, but I guess that 3mm lip is enough to hold the wheel steady.

Maybe I'm not following here. Unless you get a matching hub bore (so don't need a ring), the hub-centric ring made of plastic won't be providing any significant lateral strength. What holds the wheel in final position and prevents lateral movement is the friction between the rotor hat and the wheel (which is huge). The hub-centric ring just makes it easier to get all the nuts tightened down evenly without the taper on the lug nuts being used as levers to get the wheel actually centered (which is probably bad for them - so for me, I just have to make sure the wheel is centered and fully snug to the rotor hat before doing any real torquing of the nuts).

For the nuts, I'm just using the stock Tesla nuts (carefully with a thin-wall non-marring (have to take the plastic off for part of the job though) socket), since I trust them more than what Discount gave me. Tight fit but it does work if you are very careful.

RE71R 265/35/19 on FastWheel FC04 19x9.5.

You daily drive these? I had RE71R as my first set on the 19x9.5 but they slung gravel and made a ton of noise, so i went with the Bridgestone S007A for now but it's waaayy less grippy on track haha but i'm really thinking about going back to RE71R or maybe Cup 2 while i wait to get a dedicated track setup with slicks.

You daily drive these? I had RE71R as my first set on the 19x9.5 but they slung gravel and made a ton of noise, so i went with the Bridgestone S007A for now but it's waaayy less grippy on track haha but i'm really thinking about going back to RE71R or maybe Cup 2 while i wait to get a dedicated track setup with slicks.

My daily is PS4S 255/40/19 on VS16 19x9.
3758457F-A82D-4404-8F18-038FEB5C7D0D.jpeg

Reactions: Lindenwood
I was considering getting the S007's mostly for street use when my RE-71R's wear out next year. I don't plan on autocrossing it as much next year. Have you been satisfied with the S007A for street use?

I was considering getting the S007's mostly for street use when my RE-71R's wear out next year. I don't plan on autocrossing it as much next year. Have you been satisfied with the S007A for street use?

Oh yea, they're pretty darn good on the street for the price. I don't notice much noise from them at all (seems like mostly wind noise from windows on the highway) and they are still decently grippy for sporty driving. Haven't checked tread in a while, but they definitely are holding up well even after a track day so that's encouraging.

They just weren't quite as high performing as i hoped on track and got hot and greasy pretty quick which turned the track into a slip n slide.

For others that are curious, in 265/35/R19 the S007A costs $226 and the RE71R is $320, so it's a decent savings but comes with reduced track performance though better daily driving.

Reactions: usofrob
Oh yea, they're pretty darn good on the street for the price. I don't notice much noise from them at all (seems like mostly wind noise from windows on the highway) and they are still decently grippy for sporty driving. Haven't checked tread in a while, but they definitely are holding up well even after a track day so that's encouraging.

They just weren't quite as high performing as i hoped on track and got hot and greasy pretty quick which turned the track into a slip n slide.

For others that are curious, in 265/35/R19 the S007A costs $226 and the RE71R is $320, so it's a decent savings but comes with reduced track performance though better daily driving.

What would you replace the RE71Rs with on the track? Hoosiers?

Good to hear the feedback. I considered the S007A for daily, but then found the PS4S for $245/each in that same size. Couldn't pass that up!

Reactions: kbecks13