Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking Model S 85D Delivery Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sweet, hopefully you will post pics and a video?

I know I won't do a walkthrough video. I'm planning to eschew most of the walk through since I just did that whole thing in September, so I don't think it'll be that interesting. Not sure what I'll be doing as far as pictures. I'm not going to have the car much for the rest of the week as the car is going immediately into the detail shop for some work. I won't have it back until Friday evening, if I keep it too long to play with they might not have time to finish the work before the weekend. After the experience with the rock strike with the last car (bad strike hours after picking it up from getting PPF) I'm super paranoid about getting the work done ASAP. I will certainly post a mini-review in another thread.

@breser i'm dying to know how the 85D compares to the regular 85 in terms of handling and acceleration, even some quick initial thoughts on that (assuming you've had or driven the 85 before) would be super helpful. I've been on the fence about 85D vs P85D for a while, and my order hits the factory in a couple of weeks (P as of now).

@breser i'm dying to know how the 85D compares to the regular 85 in terms of handling and acceleration, even some quick initial thoughts on that (assuming you've had or driven the 85 before) would be super helpful. I've been on the fence about 85D vs P85D for a while, and my order hits the factory in a couple of weeks (P as of now).

I had an S85 for about 2 months before I traded it to get this 85D. But it's been since November since I drove an S85. So I'll do my best to try and describe the handling and acceleration, but I'm not sure how much of a frame of reference I have to compare to given the time since I drove an S85. I'll probably be limited in what I can say since it'll probably depend on what traffic is like between Seattle and Bellevue. Hopefully, I'll get to floor it on the on-ramp onto I-90. Given the weather around here though it's almost certain to be wet and rainy, so that should give me some idea as to the grip.

My expectation is something similar to what people have described with the P85D driving on rails. I'm not expecting a terribly noticeable acceleration difference, we're only gaining 2 tenths of a second over the S85 time.

I've never driven a P85D and I intend to keep it that way. Trying to stay happy with what I'm getting. :biggrin:

Wow. Crazy that the cars are finally shipping. Been waiting since July. We ordered then, expected delivery in October. Thankfully it was delayed to December, so we were able to get dual motor. Original delivery for Feb, then March. We are in the 69,000's and are in Chicago, but have not received any notification about production :(. Waiting patiently for 7 months.

wow thats....pretty discouraging.

hang in there, im sure the car will be worth it ;)

S85D order confirmed 12/29/14
scheduled delivery in Rocklin, CA
from MyTesla page:
estimated "late March" delivery
"Your Model S has entered the production queue at our Factory in Fremont, CA"
recent VIN assignment 764XX

And for what it is worth, I tried the P85D before ordering my 85D. The launch was physiologically altering and gave me an instant headache :). Plus, I rationalized that there may be a day when my young boys drove the car, and I didn't want to be responsible for giving them the tool of their own destruction! lol

S85D order confirmed 12/29/14
scheduled delivery in Rocklin, CA
from MyTesla page:
estimated "late March" delivery
"Your Model S has entered the production queue at our Factory in Fremont, CA"
recent VIN assignment 764XX

And for what it is worth, I tried the P85D before ordering my 85D. The launch was physiologically altering and gave me an instant headache :). Plus, I rationalized that there may be a day when my young boys drove the car, and I didn't want to be responsible for giving them the tool of their own destruction! lol
Imagine in 10 years when 85s are high school hand me downs.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if my future children get used Model 3s as first cars. Model S might be pushing it :p

On topic, my Tesla dashboard has said "Late February" for several weeks now, but my DS is saying early March. Here's hoping things skew in the dashboard's direction. Car hasn't gone into production yet, but Fremont isn't that far away. :)