Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confused. Does this mean that no P85D deliveries in December will have next-gen seats? If they're talking about mid Jan for people getting deliveries today then won't this shortage cascade? I'm not interested in taking delivery of an incomplete car.

Piecing it all together, I think this is the situation:

1st batch of P85D with production 11/21-11/26 got built with defective Next Gen seats. These cars are sitting at the factory waiting for replacement Next Gen seats, but those with travel plans or cross-country deliveries are being offered the option to take delivery with regular seats now with retrofit next month when the replacements are available. I haven't been called yet, so perhaps they think the replacement seats for my car will be ready by the end of the year.
2nd batch of P85D with production 12/1 week and later are built with newer Next Gen seats (issue resolved) and are following the standard 5 day production cycle. These will be delivered in December at the usual pace and timelines.

I'd go with #1. Looks like you entered production 11/25. I haven't gotten the wrong seats phone call yet. Wonder what's going on....

I'm in the group where the build started on 11/21. Car is still in production. DS has not heard anything and his system still shows "factory gate routing". I've had no call and no new delivery date other than my DS's original prediction of one week late.
My original guess was that we might be some of the only people who do get the Recarro seats but that they are installing and testing them which is why we are still in production. This still doesn't make much sense to me as mine was allegedly completed - not sure if that was with the Recaro seats or if they were intially putting in the next gens just in case. Either way, my patience is dwindling.

That being said - I'm glad that someone finallly has a P85D - Congratulations Marc!

If they're saying January you're talking about a month for the new seats. I can't imagine it'll be 6 months to get the seats. So personally, if you wanted the new seats I'd take the offer to get them changed when they're available.

I know this isn't seats but I ended up having my steering wheel replaced on my S85. We noticed a loose piece of leather shortly after delivery. Took about a month to order the part and for the Service Center to find the time to schedule the installation. So I'd guess no more than 2 months.

Yeh Breser I will follow your words of wisdom and just get what I paid for but Like Crazybrit said I was just nervous it would turn into a center console or Chademo adapter thing :)

1st batch of P85D with production 11/21-11/26 got built with defective Next Gen seats. These cars are sitting at the factory waiting for replacement Next Gen seats, but those with travel plans or cross-country deliveries are being offered the option to take delivery with regular seats now with retrofit next month when the replacements are available. I haven't been called yet, so perhaps they think the replacement seats for my car will be ready by the end of the year.
2nd batch of P85D with production 12/1 week and later are built with newer Next Gen seats (issue resolved) and are following the standard 5 day production cycle. These will be delivered in December at the usual pace and timelines.

This makes sense. Thanks.

Next Gen Seats

Just to update my data point - my P85D went into production 11/24 (if you believe the Tesla Website that we have access to). I got informed today that my car will be delivered without the Black Next Generation Recaro Seats.

I was also given the option to have them installed next year when they become available or take the credit and keep the current seats. I chose to have them installed when they become available.

I specifically asked if it was just the back seats or front seats or both and was told it was all of the seats that would come as the older seats and they would all be changed out in 2015.

Mike

it does not seem consistent. Mine went in production on 12/4, and it is still in there...

I agree with your hypothesis as I have travel plans but now my DS called back and added some confusion... my vehicle is still listed as in the "burn in" stages of final inspection. He said there is a chance they may get more seats in by time it finishes the burn in and they would install them at the factory. Why is it taking so long for burn in? It's been in final burn in for almost 10 days.

Honestly since I am leasing and not eligible for the federal rebate I am not stressing over the whole delivery by 2014 but it would be nice.

Congrats on delivery!

Not to take the wind out of the sails here, because I'm happy to see at least a single confirmed delivery... but, admittedly a little irritated. My P85D has been "In Production" for three weeks as of today, yet folks who's cars went into production after mine are showing complete. And now, one of those that went into production after mine is also delivered, and I don't even have a new date? lol

Come on Tesla...

Same here!

Sounds plausible but if they have new seats they should be giving those of us stuck in limbo the new seats first should they not? Talk about being punished for ordering early! Pay first, get cars last, don't have all the features of later adopters.

So let me get this straight. Being in the 1st batch, I may get a 2014 car in 2015, miss the tax break, and be penalized for ordering early. Yet others who ordered later will get their cars as scheduled.

Has Tesla completely lost its mind???? Or do they really want to piss off customers before they ever take delivery.

I feel like calling up my contact at Consumer Reports and telling them that they jumped the gun on that owner satisfaction survey.

Well, time to call my DS who never called me back and vainly try to get details.

Sounds plausible but if they have new seats they should be giving those of us stuck in limbo the new seats first should they not? Talk about being punished for ordering early! Pay first, get cars last, don't have all the features of later adopters.

Yeah, that would make sense. In any case, it's all just speculation. All we know for sure is that DS have been calling 11/21 week folks over the last few days asking if they're ok taking delivery with regular seats and then coming back for retrofit later.

So let me get this straight. Being in the 1st batch, I may get a 2014 car in 2015, miss the tax break, and be penalized for ordering early. Yet others who ordered later will get their cars as scheduled.

Has Tesla completely lost its mind???? Or do they really want to piss off customers before they ever take delivery.

I feel like calling up my contact at Consumer Reports and telling them that they jumped the gun on that owner satisfaction survey.

Well, time to call my DS who never called me back and vainly try to get details.

Well, I'm hoping there is just some confusion somewhere and we're actually getting our cars as planned. But, like I said previously... if I don't have the car by the 31st I'll be cancelling. Main reasons being that a) I won't be able to claim the credit for 2015, and b) I won't be able to utilize the NJ sales tax exemption because I won't be an NJ resident starting early in Q1 2015. So delivery after the 31st will cost me an additional $17k... and since I'm already taking a hit trading in the P85, it is no longer worth it to me at that price point.

Edit: Have an email out to my DS as of a couple of hours ago. Hopefully hear something today.

I feel your pain. It's hard to not get worked up over this. Lesson learned, never be first in line for a new Tesla. ;) I'm #10,085 for Model X which seems like a very good number now.