Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This car had 63143 VIN. Sorry, I did not note the seats on your particular car, but the couple I looked at had NG black seats in front, but older seats with new headrests in the back. The headrests in the back are bigger and are brought forward more than old seats. In fact because of this the rear parcel shelf now is not deep enough to cover all the area between the back of the seats anfd the lift gate.

Well, if it is VIN 63143 it's not mine. Mine is 64184. But that is definitely the spot where my DS snapped the pic yesterday. So, one of you is wrong... and I'm hoping it is you. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not here is the list of the seven VINs:
First Picture, left to right: 64184, 62849
Second Picture, front to back: 62757, 64130 <<----here it is!, 64396, 63143, 64041 <<----here it is!

Well, the one in the first picture on the right is 64184. Pretty sure you have those backwards. Check the sticker, bet it says blue with 21" Silvers. If you have the pic of the sticker I'll even Paypal you a few bucks for it. :)

I'm 600 miles away right now :(

Somewhat proof it's mine: Tracking P85D delivery thread - Page 60

This cracks me up. First there is nothing but discontent over the delays. Now people are complaining that Tesla is "just trying to deliver as many cars as possible before the end of the year". Tesla can't win with some people. Either they are hammered for delays or criticized for delivering too many cars. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Vin # 68135 just went into production. Sweet!

My concern is not too many deliveries, but that they have decided to deliver *incomplete* (per spec) cars in exchange for *complete* payment. A better
approach (in my opinion) would be to charge for what *is* delivered and then for both parties to complete the contract as agreed when practical. That option
is apparently not acceptable to Tesla.

I am sorry, I was in a rush to go somewhere, so must have forgot the order in which I snapped the pictures...

Regardless of the order, though, your car is definitely there!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 632
My concern is not too many deliveries, but that they have decided to deliver *incomplete* (per spec) cars in exchange for *complete* payment. A better
approach (in my opinion) would be to charge for what *is* delivered and then for both parties to complete the contract as agreed when practical. That option

Legit argument, however it's easier said then done. The paper work alone would be a nightmare, trying to change the purchase orders and documents for all those loans. That's crazy. Plus how would that work with financing? Many people are not going to want to pay cash later when the NG seats become available. As a business owner of only 35 employees I feel for Tesla with 3,000 employees. The execution and logistics for such a complicated new technology like this is off the charts. Cut them some slack. If you think Tesla is doing a terrible job fine, then just cancel your order and purchase something else.

On a side note, out of those 7 VINs I'm the only one on the tracking spreadsheet... I wonder if that means there are 7x more P85Ds bought than we have on the sheet? :eek:

That is for sure... Our spreadsheet is a small subset of what is going on in the P85D world...When I was at the Mt.Kisco NY SC and Sales Showroom for my P85D test drive there were at least 6 S's awaiting delivery. Each one was in the back lot, having been prepped and under a really snazzy TESLA car cover. We could not see them as they were covered but all had large wheels.... and I gathered that some of these 6 were customer ordered P85D's... Here is a photo of 4 of them.... the other 2, also under covers, were behind me...

121814_0030.JPG

Last edited:
My concern is not too many deliveries, but that they have decided to deliver *incomplete* (per spec) cars in exchange for *complete* payment. A better approach (in my opinion) would be to charge for what *is* delivered and then for both parties to complete the contract as agreed when practical. That option

I agree with you entirely, but I would point out that Tesla is offering the option to do the part in bold - a credit at delivery. You just end up forefitting the next-gen seats altogether and sticking with what's delivered, but also only pay for what was delivered.

Likewise, you have the option to refuse delivery and have your normally nonrefundable deposit refunded if they are unable to deliver the car you ordered.

So, many options within the terms of the purchase contract, just not the ideal one for the customer. :-/

I agree that Tesla should be doing something for those of us not getting exactly what we paid for. We will be without the better seats for some time, and then will be inconvenienced somewhat when they do come by having to have them installed.

That being said, I'd be satisfied with something other than monetary compensation. A "good will" kind of thing, which they may already be planning on doing, but just not telling us about or doing "officially" would be fine by me. What I mean is this: if in a year or two something comes up that Tesla ordinarily might not do for a customer, but that also is not completely out of the realm of possibility, I would hope that they would do it for me, as compensation for the fact that I worked with them on the seat issue. I helped them out this time, they help me out in the future.

If this is what they have planned, I'm cool with it.

But you're right, Andrew, what they have officially offered falls a bit short, as the credit just takes things back to the way things would have been if the person had ordered the seats they did not want in the first place, and the "wait for a seat swap" gets us the seats we ordered eventually, but with some inconvenience, and with a delay.

In the case of a car loan, you're paying interest on an item you don't have.