Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still confused why everyone is just buying Elons latest claim of a software update that will make the range issue what they originally claimed. I didn't believe it would get better OR same and I still don't. It's heavier, and the battery is the same and there's more motor in essence. I would love to be proved wrong , but that's why I didn't upgrade because it didn't pass the smell test. This car will need AT LEAST a 110kw battery to match or beat the previous P85 epa driving for real world use. I didn't want to "upgrade" to a car that goes far less distance. But I'm a reporter and need proof before I buy. Time will tell, but regardless I will wait for a real world 300 miler before I buy new. Merry Christmas all!!!

Gearing, my friend. Gearing.

It's almost undoubtedly the case that the front motor is geared taller than the rear. And being smaller and Teslas second generation Model S motor, is probably more efficient.

As soon as the drive control firmware is updated to turn off that big, heavy, shorter geared rear motor of a boat anchor at highway speeds, the engineer in me is confident Elon's claims will be true.

Still confused why everyone is just buying Elons latest claim of a software update that will make the range issue what they originally claimed. I didn't believe it would get better OR same and I still don't. It's heavier, and the battery is the same and there's more motor in essence. I would love to be proved wrong , but that's why I didn't upgrade because it didn't pass the smell test.

In gasoline cars, AWD is less efficient because of driveline loss from mechanical transfer mechanisms.

Where the Tesla is concerned, there are no transfer mechanisms. Software that disables the front or rear motor during steady cruising should not cause much driveline drag. The extra motor should also allow for more regeneration.

Time will tell if the software updates solve the range issue. I definitely understand why people are skeptical though.

It's almost undoubtedly the case that the front motor is geared taller than the rear. And being smaller and Teslas second generation Model S motor, is probably more efficient.

As soon as the drive control firmware is updated to turn off that big, heavy, shorter geared rear motor of a boat anchor at highway speeds, the engineer in me is confident Elon's claims will be true.

maybe even a slight regen mode if its going to offer drag why not have it pay for it.

. Yea I know the explanations as I've read ALL explanations, but I hear ya. However, the weight difference and the real world driving will make it less. I didn't buy the 285 mile claim or even the 250, now people are reporting 200! Here's my guess on average for a P85D that's fully charged: 205 miles highway at 65mph when all is said and done! I can do 265 in my S85 if I fully charge which is rare and of course is not a P85. Cheers!

It would make sense to dump the small amount of power needed to truly make the motor have zero drag into the motor I'd think.

I believe this would probably be the second best scenario, no inverter is going to be very efficient at very low draw rates. On the flip side, if the second motor is "off", and you want to activate it for either acceleration or regen, re activating the magnetic field quickly is probably a challenge. What you suggest is likely the easiest option to get reasonable efficiency.

. Yea I know the explanations as I've read ALL explanations, but I hear ya. However, the weight difference and the real world driving will make it less. I didn't buy the 285 mile claim or even the 250, now people are reporting 200! Here's my guess on average for a P85D that's fully charged: 205 miles highway at 65mph when all is said and done! I can do 265 in my S85 if I fully charge which is rare and of course is not a P85. Cheers!

Motor Trend reported that the P85D weighs 197 lbs. more than the P85+. That amount of weight increase alone will not lower range by 60 miles, or 23%.

I can stuff my Honda Civic to the gills with gear and people, and the fuel economy will not drop by that severe a margin.

yikes...someone trying to profit from their decision to opt out of the P85D - its interesting that they are noting a 12/27/14 delivery as a 2015

Tesla Model s P85D | eBay

- - - Updated - - -

Motor Trend reported that the P85D weighs 197 lbs. more than the P85+. That amount of weight increase alone will not lower range by 60 miles, or 23%.

I can stuff my Honda Civic to the gills with gear and people, and the fuel economy will not drop by that severe a margin.

yeah, but how many clowns? :biggrin: you said this and all I could think of was the circus and the car that has 42 clowns exit from it in front of the crowd.

That said, good data point though - about the weight of a full grown passenger!

. Weight alone won't drop the mileage but I didn't say that. Right now it's using up way too many kWh to get near the same as the p85 with the second motor and the need for speed set up. We will see what owners say who tested it. For now I'll stick with my guess as I was correct about the original BS 285 miles claim. PS... In order to get the full 691 HP they'll have to up the battery to at least a 110. Right now the 85 isn't coming close to getting the max out of both motors. Waiting for the 110 or more personally

Yeah, the quote they gave us was crazy low too. Way lower than CarMax. Didn't give me a warm feeling about them shopping around and beating wholesalers. They were way below everyone I brought the car to.

TM is not in the business of buying/reselling vehicles. I would just trade mine in to the highest bidder. IMO you are 'paying it forward' by reselling to TM. You are supporting the company/EV adoption. They have to make a profit....a larger profit than traditional car companies so they can reinvest the money to grow the company.

Does the website still show "Late December"? I assume no word from DS.

A delivery in 2014 is still possible, but it would have to ship tomorrow without any hiccups en-route.

Targeted delivery date is Dec 31st, but I'm not very confident to have it in 2014. Montreal,QC is far from California. Tesla already did miracles... so they may hit the target. :confused:

edit: and the website shows :

Estimated Delivery

Late December

My car is in production since dec 8... still waiting for production complete status.
Targeted delivery date is Dec 31st, but I'm not very confident to have it in 2014. Montreal,QC is far from California. Tesla already did miracles... so they may hit the target. :confused:

edit: and the website shows :

Estimated Delivery

Late December

Don't forget that production could have completed without the status being updated your Tesla portal.

My Model S P85D (VIN 62942) has been delivered to San Diego (12/25/14). It went into production on December 6th. It won't have the next gen seats in the rear, which I'm told is the case for most, if not all, D's coming off the line. The seats are backordered. Vehicles that have been shipped with the older style back seats will be recalled for a retrofit, which is apparently rapid and easy.