Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats!

I think your indicated range will rise slightly after the software updates. Mine was delivered today with 2.0.81; Max Range Charge is 249 Rated Miles. I think others have reported as high as 252.

Mike

that update doesnt seem to change anything other than that...and in effect, it just provides a greater disparity between estimates and actual miles left on the charge. I find it frustrating that this wasn't addressed in the release notes at all.

Tesla is scheduling a 12/31 pickup at Fremont for me. Part of me feels silly picking up an incomplete car (seats, range question mark) the eve before it effectively becomes a model year old. Considering re-ordering. Someone talk me down from the ledge :)

Not really going to try to talk you down. If you have no need for a 2014 delivery and don't lose out on anything by the extra wait by reordering, it'd be logical to reorder, get a more valuable 2015 VIN (doesn't matter what anyone says, the resale value will be more), get completed options and software, and probably have a better overall experience.

If you need a 2014 delivery for tax purposes and whatnot, you'll still be satisfied I'm sure in the long run.

I posted my delivery story in a separate thread, because I'm an attention whore. Long story short, I was surprised by next gen seats front and back and I'm absolutely delighted by the car. It is really ridiculous how much fun it is.
I'm scheduled for late Dec delivery in Toronto and am pretty ambivalent at this point getting a brand new 2014 car that's already a year old (I'll likely be geting delivery early Jan at this point). That's without the autopilot active, without new seats, with poorer range, and likely without a heated steering wheel. I have already owned an awesome P85 for almost 2 years now and have no compliants. So the "wow" factor for a current owner buying a P85D from a P85 won't be anything like someone who is new to the Model S. I experienced thrills and joy when I got delivery and felt pretty unique back then. Now I see model S's everywhere and have heard story after story about what it feels like to pick up your first MS (not so exciting the 65,000th time??). I'm happy for those who are thrilled with their purchase, but for me personally I want to see how much "better" the P85D is than the P85 since a lot of the sales are going to people upgrading. At this point I'll probably take delivery although my DS hasn't been particularly helpful and seems like he is "too busy" to be interested in individual customers like me. Sadly this 140K purchase is not nearly as exciting as I expected so far. Although things seem "different" now somehow, it doesn't change the fact that this is an awesome car and a great company. Good luck to everyone!

Tesla is scheduling a 12/31 pickup at Fremont for me. Part of me feels silly picking up an incomplete car (seats, range question mark) the eve before it effectively becomes a model year old. Considering re-ordering. Someone talk me down from the ledge :)

I'm scheduled to pick up my car on 12/31 at 9 am at Fremont. Maybe I'll see you there.

I've thought about your feelings and went back through the posts on this thread and found this comment by Boeing777 (post #3524 on page 353):

"We know there are guys spending time at Superchargers. We know there are differences between rated and actual mileage. We know Tesla might have over promised on range (at least for now). At the risk of sounding elitist, I don't give a rip about this. My D driving will be around town, seeking Z06s at the pole position at the stoplights and laying waste to them. I look forward to the ability to fill up my tank in my garage. I look forward to using my phone to heat and cool the car from afar. I look forward to going to dinner with friends, and having the valets fight to park it, and eventually having the car return to me sans valet. I look forward to the novelty of thrust without chaos. I look forward to admiring the beautiful lines when I approach, and having the door handles "present" themselves to me. I look forward to putting my gym bag where the pistons normally live. I look forward to the interest this car will draw from my fellow man.

Yes, many of you are using this car as your daily driver...and some of you are disappointed. I never intended to dump all my ICE cars and use this animal exclusively. My EXPECTATIONS were "different". Who drives their Murcielago as their daily driver?

Elon's idealistic views on replacing the ICE with electrons are laudable and desirable. But, its not there yet. In the interim, lets enjoy our new toys, enjoy the driving experience, and marvel at this groundbreaking vehicle while still understanding that the tech is not yet mature. This isn't a Camry...or merely a transportation appliance. P85D is a badge of honor, a rolling work of art, vehicular jewelry to be enjoyed by early adopters. Demanding more will ultimately leave you disappointed."

Part of me feels silly picking up an incomplete car (seats, range question mark) the eve before it effectively becomes a model year old. Considering re-ordering. Someone talk me down from the ledge

In any field with continuous improvements, today's (car, whatever) will always pale in comparison to tomorrow's. That's the definition of progress. The problem is if you re-order now, and, say get your car in five months (they appear to be going back to S85s, and possibly MX's (!) on the line)... you will be right back here. Yes, you will have added range, the seats you wanted first time around, and maybe a heated steering wheel. You'll get your VIN, you'll get your delivery date... and... the P115D will be announced. Or the percussion back massager, or whatever else it is they have in line... the sun will rise tomorrow, and you will be a day older.

If I were you... I'd wonder how many people you could have made squeal doing The Launch in that one day. I share the joy, when I can do it safely. I think I've sold about three P85Ds now just from that. Damn it is a fine beast.

I'm sure now that we are past "insane", maybe "ludicrous" will be next, with two 470HP (or whatever) motors... and I will curse those that mock me at the line, taunting me with my mere 3.2s 0-60 as they flash by under three... but that is the price of progress. That is the price of being PART of that progress, and smiling the whole time*.

*Really, road rage... it doesn't happen in the MS. I don't know how, but it is. It is that awesome to drive.

I'm scheduled to pick up my car on 12/31 at 9 am at Fremont. Maybe I'll see you there.

I've thought about your feelings and went back through the posts on this thread and found this comment by Boeing777 (post #3524 on page 353):

"We know there are guys spending time at Superchargers. We know there are differences between rated and actual mileage. We know Tesla might have over promised on range (at least for now). At the risk of sounding elitist, I don't give a rip about this. My D driving will be around town, seeking Z06s at the pole position at the stoplights and laying waste to them. I look forward to the ability to fill up my tank in my garage. I look forward to using my phone to heat and cool the car from afar. I look forward to going to dinner with friends, and having the valets fight to park it, and eventually having the car return to me sans valet. I look forward to the novelty of thrust without chaos. I look forward to admiring the beautiful lines when I approach, and having the door handles "present" themselves to me. I look forward to putting my gym bag where the pistons normally live. I look forward to the interest this car will draw from my fellow man.

Yes, many of you are using this car as your daily driver...and some of you are disappointed. I never intended to dump all my ICE cars and use this animal exclusively. My EXPECTATIONS were "different". Who drives their Murcielago as their daily driver?

Elon's idealistic views on replacing the ICE with electrons are laudable and desirable. But, its not there yet. In the interim, lets enjoy our new toys, enjoy the driving experience, and marvel at this groundbreaking vehicle while still understanding that the tech is not yet mature. This isn't a Camry...or merely a transportation appliance. P85D is a badge of honor, a rolling work of art, vehicular jewelry to be enjoyed by early adopters. Demanding more will ultimately leave you disappointed."

Yes I'm currently in that 9am batch so if I decide to go through with it I will see you there :)

This is good perspective, thanks for sending. I think that it's perhaps different for some of who are making our second purchase from tesla in 12 mos, where we already had an excellent product and took a big hit on depreciation to upgrade to the latest, and justified it based on all the things that were claimed at the time.

Congrats to all who've taken deliveries.

@randompersonx, there's a specific recommended way - that your DS should have shown - to close the frunk: with your palms on the hood on either side of the latch with wrists backwards, and gently press down. If you feel any flex, that's trouble as that might leave a permanent crease!

Congrats to all who've taken deliveries.

@randompersonx, there's a specific recommended way - that your DS should have shown - to close the frunk: with your palms on the hood on either side of the latch with wrists backwards, and gently press down. If you feel any flex, that's trouble as that might leave a permanent crease!

I stopped by the SC today to ask about a few things (not detailing here), but I did also ask about the whole frunk closing issue ... I was told that these instructions as you describe them are for the older Model S with the two latches. The single latch model S has a different procedure ... Palms on the hood on both sides of the latch all the way to the sides next to the lights, an inch or two back from the lip. I was told to avoid the center region or even the area close by as described above. When he demonstrated it, there was no flex at all, though I haven't yet tried it myself with the alternate method.

- - - Updated - - -

Ultimately either way should work. There is certainly a list of "minor" issues on my car that need to be repaired, some of which clearly just shows that QC was so busy that they either just missed some obvious flaws, or didn't have time to do anything about it. I would assume and also hope that sort of thing would not happen for a February or March delivery.

That said, I've decided to look at this way. Tesla is not Porsche. Tesla is still a start-up, and will have some odd issues no matter when I took delivery. I am greatly enjoying the drive, and I am happy I took delivery now and didn't wait another two months. I am also impatient, so i's hard to say if I would still feel this was the right decision 3 years from now -- but truth is, 3 years from now there will be some major improvements anyway, and ultimately I might just want to upgrade then anyway (and I have the RVG).

As far as range -- yeah, it's a bit of a bummer, I think I will probably end up getting about 150-170 miles of range given how I drive, so I will probably have to make a few extra stops on my road trip. Big deal. The drive is fun, and I wouldn't have taken my Porsche on this trip anyway. As much as the extra stops may be annoying, I also don't really care for stopping at gas stations, either.