Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, exactly 5 days until scheduled delivery, cross-country from the factory, and car still shows as "In Production"... I'm guessing my delivery is going to be pushed back unless they actually already have it on a truck headed this way and the status just doesn't reflect that. I'll call my DS tomorrow I guess.

Well, exactly 5 days until scheduled delivery, cross-country from the factory, and car still shows as "In Production"... I'm guessing my delivery is going to be pushed back unless they actually already have it on a truck headed this way and the status just doesn't reflect that. I'll call my DS tomorrow I guess.

This has happened in the past.

I've read of ppl getting their cars delivered and the dashboard still showing building... Someone earlier on this thread had the same happen to them I belive.

Guess you never really know what's up until you are physically driving away in your MS :)

Well, I'm on vacation and I'm working in a trip back to do the pickup/trade whenever it will be ready. Plan is to leave here and head to Devon, PA to get the P85D, and then I'll just drive the P85D back here and continue my vacation. So, as long as I have a solid date/time I'm in good shape. I just don't want to end up going back north only to find out I'll be hanging around for several days waiting on the car. :p

Can someone educate me on why you are swapping out the Pirellis for the Hakka? I just ordered the standard 19" offering.
I have the Pirelli's and like most here we haven't been happy with them in the snow.
For my P85D I couldn't get the Hakka's so bought Michelin X ice and putting them on Tesla 19" rims.
I have heard Tesla won't deal with anything but the Pirelli's. I can understand not wanting to mount or balance non Tesla rims but don't get the non Pirelli issue. We have heard it is because of wear issues with regen or not guaranteeing the same range etc.
I have never heard about them refusing to do alignments etc. I will get clarity this week.
If Tesla sticks with this policy we should write Jerome to get an official position. Especially since they endorse the Hakka's with studs in Europe.

I have the Pirelli's and like most here we haven't been happy with them in the snow.
For my P85D I couldn't get the Hakka's so bought Michelin X ice and putting them on Tesla 19" rims.
I have heard Tesla won't deal with anything but the Pirelli's. I can understand not wanting to mount or balance non Tesla rims but don't get the non Pirelli issue. We have heard it is because of wear issues with regen or not guaranteeing the same range etc.
I have never heard about them refusing to do alignments etc. I will get clarity this week.
If Tesla sticks with this policy we should write Jerome to get an official position. Especially since they endorse the Hakka's with studs in Europe.

They actual even offer a package with the R2s (the non studded variety of the Hakka's). The second winter set being offered Nokians Hakka R2s:

Model S Design-studio | Tesla Motors

Last edited:
Also do Ontario cars still go through Vancouver or do they go up to Canada a different route?

I doubt it. I think they ship the car to the nearest SC which for us Calgarians is Vancouver. Ontario has its own service center (not sure if there is more than one) so I would assume that the cars will come there direct. Basically each delivered car has to come into a SC to be checked and prepped - and usually that is where the delivery will occur if the owner can come to that location.

They actual even offer a package with the R2s (the non studded variety of the Hakka's). The second winter set being offered Nokians Hakka R2s:

Model S Design-studio | Tesla Motors

Also, 2 years ago, Tesla offered the Hakka 7's as an option for the MS. I picked up a set of Tesla Rims from someone upgrading to the T-Sportlines, then bought the Hakka R2's from Discount Tire. For Black Friday, Discount Tire sold me the R2s for $225 each and the TPMS for $40 each, free mounting, paid for dynamic balance.

From what I've researched, both for the D and cars in the past, the pirellis are a great dry, cold road performance tire... Not really suited for snowy conditions though.

I wonder where this idea got started about the Pirellis.

I did some research on the tires. The thing that stood out to me was the Consumer Reports ratings for Winter tires. Michelin X-Ice Xi3, Michelin X-ice Xi2, Hankook i*cept evo, Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II, Uniroyal Tiger Paw Ice & Snow II, and Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 all get the recommended flag. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R does not. If you look at Performance Winter Tires then the Nokian WR G3, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 and Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 get the recommended flag and the Pirelli do not (which are listed as Prelli Sottozero Winter 240 Serie II).

I'm not sure what the difference between the 240 and the 210 are. They end up having very different ratings. But my impression from these ratings is that the Pirelli is a good winter tire. In extreme conditions the Michelin or the Nokian might be better.

If you look on these forums there are several different winter tire threads. You'll find plenty of people who have the Pirellis and are happy with them along with all the other tires.

In my own case I decided to get the Tesla set because the Pirellis do better in wet conditions and are better at avoiding hydroplanning, which is the conditions I see mostly in the winter here in the Seattle area. But I still think the Pirellis will be a ton better than leaving the all seasons on all year.

I wonder where this idea got started about the Pirellis.

I did some research on the tires. The thing that stood out to me was the Consumer Reports ratings for Winter tires. Michelin X-Ice Xi3, Michelin X-ice Xi2, Hankook i*cept evo, Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II, Uniroyal Tiger Paw Ice & Snow II, and Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 all get the recommended flag. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R does not. If you look at Performance Winter Tires then the Nokian WR G3, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 and Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 get the recommended flag and the Pirelli do not (which are listed as Prelli Sottozero Winter 240 Serie II).

I'm not sure what the difference between the 240 and the 210 are. They end up having very different ratings. But my impression from these ratings is that the Pirelli is a good winter tire. In extreme conditions the Michelin or the Nokian might be better.

If you look on these forums there are several different winter tire threads. You'll find plenty of people who have the Pirellis and are happy with them along with all the other tires.

In my own case I decided to get the Tesla set because the Pirellis do better in wet conditions and are better at avoiding hydroplanning, which is the conditions I see mostly in the winter here in the Seattle area. But I still think the Pirellis will be a ton better than leaving the all seasons on all year.
I think the answer is determined by the normal winter weather where you live. I've had 2 seasons on the Pirelli's and while they are fine in the wet and on packed snow, they are almost useless if driving on even the slightest incline when there is any accumulation of snow. You can find many threads discussing this in the past. The tires should be our choice and Tesla should not decline wheel, tire and suspension service because we don't conform to their wishes.

Based on a build taking five days, I expected my car to be done last night or this morning. So far, at least according to the dashboard, it's still in production. This was with adding an extra day because of thanksgiving. Perhaps the factory was closed over the weekend as well?