Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on a build taking five days, I expected my car to be done last night or this morning. So far, at least according to the dashboard, it's still in production.

Same here Andrew, entered production on 11/25 and still not completed (although the dashboard could be behind).

Perhaps the factory was closed over the weekend as well?

When I took the factory tour last Tuesday I was told there would be "reduced hours" over thanksgiving but no specific details. I would add an extra 2 days to the *average* 5 days it normally takes for production. They also don't work Sundays if I remember correctly.

I think the answer is determined by the normal winter weather where you live. I've had 2 seasons on the Pirelli's and while they are fine in the wet and on packed snow, they are almost useless if driving on even the slightest incline when there is any accumulation of snow. You can find many threads discussing this in the past. The tires should be our choice and Tesla should not decline wheel, tire and suspension service because we don't conform to their wishes.

I certainly agree with you that we should be able to choose our own tires.

That being said, I did go with the winter wheel package for my P85D about to be built. You seem to have a lot of first-hand experience with the Sottozero 2s. So let me ask you the following: I have a reasonably steep driveway. It definitely sounds like with new snow and a rear-wheel drive model S and the Sottozeros I'd have issues, but do you think the AWD will make enough of a difference to overcome the Pirellis' shortcomings and get me up my driveway in most situations before it has been plowed?

For comparison, I currently have a front-wheel drive 2004 Acura TL. With regular all-season tires I had issues in the snow, getting up the driveway. I very quickly bought a wheel and snow tire package from Tire Rack, with slightly different sized wheels and I believe Blizzak tires, and that made a huge difference. I can typically get up my driveway, perhaps with some wheel spinning, (so I have to turn off traction control) in up to four or five inches of fresh snow--possibly even a little more.

I had bought the Acura before buying the house, and had decided my next vehicle would be AWD. Obviously if I need to I will get different tires for the Tesla, but I'm wondering if you think the AWD and the Pirelli Sottozeros will get the job done. Other than my driveway, I'm not particularly concerned with "uphill in fresh snow."

Thanks!

My DS said "Our factory is closed for the holiday weekend, so I imagine the car will be inspected and released on Monday."

My car started on the 21st and finished on the 26th so either they were working on Saturday and Sunday or they now build in 4 days somehow. Either way it appears that they might have been closed more than one day on the Thanksgiving weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

That being said, I did go with the winter wheel package for my P85D about to be built. You seem to have a lot of first-hand experience with the Sottozero 2s. So let me ask you the following: I have a reasonably steep driveway. It definitely sounds like with new snow and a rear-wheel drive model S and the Sottozeros I'd have issues, but do you think the AWD will make enough of a difference to overcome the Pirellis' shortcomings and get me up my driveway in most situations before it has been plowed?

For comparison, I currently have a front-wheel drive 2004 Acura TL. With regular all-season tires I had issues in the snow, getting up the driveway. I very quickly bought a wheel and snow tire package from Tire Rack, with slightly different sized wheels and I believe Blizzak tires, and that made a huge difference. I can typically get up my driveway, perhaps with some wheel spinning, (so I have to turn off traction control) in up to four or five inches of fresh snow--possibly even a little more.

I had bought the Acura before buying the house, and had decided my next vehicle would be AWD. Obviously if I need to I will get different tires for the Tesla, but I'm wondering if you think the AWD and the Pirelli Sottozeros will get the job done. Other than my driveway, I'm not particularly concerned with "uphill in fresh snow."

Thanks!
Sounds like this will be a great test for the AWD. I might test a few streets with the summer tires on initially (nothing dangerous) before I have my wheels swapped, just so I can get a sense of how well the AWD works. Ultimately I have Blizzak tires because of all the negative feedback on the Pirellis from other Canadian drivers. I bought 19" Rial Lugano wheels because they look very similar to the Tesla wheels. Note these wheels/tires were bought for the car I just traded in but I'm having them put on my P85D as soon as I can when it arrives. I asked Tesla if I could ship the wheels out to Vancouver with my trade in so they could swap out the wheels prior to delivery but they said no. I didn't bother arguing the point as I can get them done quite easily here; however, this may become a point of contention eventually.

I've had several different winter tires in the past. The Nokians were the best grip but the Pirelli's are better handling. I typically end up with Pirelli's as they are the only ones who make sizes that fit the larger performance wheels. Since Calgary (where I live) has severe winter weather cycled with "chinooks" (extremely quick warming periods) we end up with a mix of snow covered roads but "spring weather" driving conditions through periods in the winter. Pirelli's have been a good choice - never been stuck (well once actually but it was my fault, not the tires!) and enjoyed the performance when needed.

I think I may have to shut off the forums until delivery or I'll never get any work done! The wait is driving me crazy.

Thanks!
Guys I just had it confirmed that Tesla will now do any work on our cars regardless of wheels or tires. We just have to sign a waiver.
As for the AWD in snow it should be much better but I'm not taking any chances and going with Michelin X ice.

Guys I just had it confirmed that Tesla will now do any work on our cars regardless of wheels or tires. We just have to sign a waiver.
As for the AWD in snow it should be much better but I'm not taking any chances and going with Michelin X ice.

Also, remember that while AWD will help you start moving in the ice and snow, it does nothing (or with regen, little) to help you stop in an emergency situation.

That being said, I am looking forward to finding out how the regen interacting with the traction/stability control does on ice and snow. In years past, the Denver Tesla people have held an ice driving course/event on Georgetown Lake in Georgetown, CO. I hope that they do it again this winter.

When I was there three years ago with the Roadster, I got see first hand how absolutely horrible summer performance tires can be on wet, melting ice! The ice was plenty thick, but it was sunny and in the 40's, making for a very slippery, wet-ice surface.

Just looked up the Georgetown Lake stuff. Maybe a few Colorado owners should give this a try this winter. Notice how serious the "non-street legal" studs are...

This looks like fun for an x85D. They require 4WD or AWD. From Our Gang Question Answer

Can I crash into anything while I’m racing?
No. Heats are run with only 2 vehicles on the track at the same time. Each vehicle starts in their own gate, on opposite sides of the track, so no contact is ever made. No wheel to wheel racing is allowed at any time. Also, we do not have any solid barriers (walls, barricades, tires, bales, etc…) on the track to slide into. Anytime you are driving off the race course at our events you need to be at idle speed. This includes staging, the pit areas, the parking lots and after crossing the finish line. This is so crucial because we are on glare ice and there are lots of other drivers, spectators, pets, kids and equipment around you.​

What is the Rookie Race?
The Rookie Race is held on select Sundays and is for bare rubber participants. To register you must meet two requirements:
#1 – You must register and participate in the day’s Street or Pro Street bare rubber race.
#2 – You cannot have won any points or trophies with Our Gang in the last 3 years (2012, 2013 and 2014).​

Drivers who meet both requirements; can register for the Rookie Race for free. The Rookie Race will take place after all the regularly scheduled events have finished. Drivers will be paired just like any other race and will race to a top 5 finish. Only the first place winner of each Rookie Race will receive a prize. However, everyone that enters can earn points for the Rookie of the Year Championship which will be awarded at the Award Banquet in March. If there is a tie after the last Rookie Race of the Year; eligible drivers will race off for the over-all Championship.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Refreshing the webpage every 30 seconds doesn't seem to be helping this time. :(

Scheduled for delivery Thursday. Seems like it will be ok as long as car finishes inspection and testing today or tomorrow, then 1 day in transit to Rocklin.

C'mon guys. As long as we get the car this year it should not be a problem for most. As for leases it really does not matter Dec or Jan. I'd rather take a car made and delivered by a happy worker than someone missing/not enjoying the best time of the year with family and making our cars. It really does not tell anything on Tesla's stock or capability whether we get by in Dec or Jan. So chill, be nice and Santa will take care :smile:

Oh man, I was really hoping someone would get delivery of his/her P85D before we hit 100 pages on this thread... doesn't look like it happened!

Scheduled for delivery Thursday. Seems like it will be ok as long as car finishes inspection and testing today or tomorrow, then 1 day in transit to Rocklin.

Are you still showing "In Production" or are you already at "Production Complete"?

@ jgdixon

Thanks for the follow-up! Can you share who you spoke with so that we can hopefully get this confirmed for all SC's? Hopefully members at other SC's don't have issues.
Trust me this is 100% confirmed. I will not provide a name although suffice to say you will be good at either Toronto location.
I was told this is company wide so if you are concerned just call your SC.

@ jgdixon

Before seeing your reply, I called the Mississauga SC and they confirmed what you had heard and shared with us. Now there are two witnesses! I plan now on buying the 19" rims and TPMS's and taking them to Kal Tire to get the Hakka R2's installed (I purchased the tires last month). As long as I can purchase the rims, I will then be cancelling my Winter Tire Package that I purchased that was going to come with the car from what Fremont Sales told me.