Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Andrewkat; Good note. Jerome makes a habit of returning emails so I expect you will get a reply. The man seems to never sleep so it could come at 2am. Based on the level of concern here I am quite certain we will get an EM blog/tweet/formal press release about the issue, especially if it leads to some FUD from the usual SA 'authors'.

By ordering a P85D, we all fit into the category of "early adopters." By assuming this role, we must expect many many curve-balls. Welcome to the bleeding edge of technology. There is a reason why that expression is used; specs change, schedules change; that is the nature of the beast. Nothing is certain. And, when we do take delivery, we should all expect several trips back to the service centers to take care of early bugs. One thing is guaranteed. We will all LOVE the car in the end, but honestly, did you not know what you signed-up for?

Sure it is not a brand-new platform as it was two years ago, but there are a lot of new things here, a new production line being one of them. Tesla is not GM or Toyota, they don't have the financial resources or volume to be able to run a bunch of pilot production cars, they have to debug as they go.

I stand by my theory that there is no singular issue holding things up. They have a long punch list. That is probably why communication is non-existent. They will only speak in generalities. I would not expect them to share the "list," which I am sure varies from car-to-car.

I'm having sortof a Louis CK moment here. My P85D's gonna be amazing! It's gonna take a little in-town range hit, but it's gonna have almost 700 HORSEPOWER! It's gonna be FASTER THAN A SPEEDING BULLET! It's gonna BASH THROUGH THE HORRIBLE SNOW on my mile and a half long road in Western Wisconsin! Without my hands on the wheel! While giving me the choice between sporty and INSANE acceleration! If they need to keep it an extra week so that it can go AS FAST AS A McCLAREN F1, I'm OK wid dat. :smile:

By ordering a P85D, we all fit into the category of "early adopters." By assuming this role, we must expect many many curve-balls. Welcome to the bleeding edge of technology. There is a reason why that expression is used; specs change, schedules change; that is the nature of the beast. Nothing is certain. And, when we do take delivery, we should all expect several trips back to the service centers to take care of early bugs. One thing is guaranteed. We will all LOVE the car in the end, but honestly, did you not know what you signed-up for?

Sure it is not a brand-new platform as it was two years ago, but there are a lot of new things here, a new production line being one of them. Tesla is not GM or Toyota, they don't have the financial resources or volume to be able to run a bunch of pilot production cars, they have to debug as they go.

I stand by my theory that there is no singular issue holding things up. They have a long punch list. That is probably why communication is non-existent. They will only speak in generalities. I would not expect them to share the "list," which I am sure varies from car-to-car.

I somewhat agree with you although it would seem that when so many things change for the worse for the customer, the company would at least offer a few incentives not to metion communicate precisely what is changing to us Early Adopters who will help BETA test their product at our expense of +/- 130k per car.

Right. Please stop saying we are early adopters. They've built 60K cars. We're spending some good coin for these cars. I'm willing to deal with delays and some lack of communication here and there in exchange for an awesome product, but there's a fine line. I think, collectively, Tesla owners have put up with their fair share of bugs, over promising etc, dates not being hit. So, while I agree that it's not the end of the world, and ultimately these are all high-class problems, we are also entitled to complain when some of these issues persist, particularly when many of us have committed to $250K worth of Tesla product in a span of 12 months or less!

While it is not a beta product this is new product with the possibility for unforeseen delays. However, the real issue is communication: Sticking the head in the sand is not good. A brief announcement and explanation around the range change would have been sensible as well.

The three Cs of customer satisfaction: Consistency, consistency, consistency

http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/co...isfaction_consistency_consistency_consistency

As an investor, an owner of two Model S, and the waiting buyer of a P85D, the lack of reliable, consistent, and accurate communication is a huge problem. Eventually if this persists we'll see headlines like, "Tesla's latest generation vehicles delayed, no explanations, customers fear the worst." It would seem to make much more sense to just communicate the nature of the delay to the customers. Communicate the nature of changes to specs to customers. The recent shuffling of the range numbers, for example, is anything but consistent.

I would personally feel much better even if they found out and determined something was ridiculously flawed with the car AND TOLD ME ABOUT IT. If the legitimate reason was given and an ETA on a fix, I'd be good. Even if they told me something horrible like they found out that 1 in 100 of the new drive units would instantly explode after 1000 miles of use and they were investigating and fixing the issue, I'd be fine with that. I don't have a problem with whatever the nature of the problem is. I do have a problem not having any clue as to what the problem is, however. Sitting here second guessing this purchase for a multitude of reasons is not a good customer experience so far...

I mean, under what other circumstance would you put up with this kind of lack of information from a business? I mean, this is a $100k+ investment in purchasing a product and I get less information from them regarding a delay than I do from companies regarding shipping delays of $100 products.

For example, just this weekend Amazon screwed up a shipment of a $200 item I ordered that was supposed to arrive yesterday. I got an e-mail from them explaining that an emergency situation at the warehouse caused them to dispatch some shipments to carriers after their normal cut-off times which would likely result in a one business day delay in delivery. (This was also reflected in the UPS tracking for the item showing that UPS received the package at 3AM Saturday...) As consolation they refunded the shipping cost and gave me a 10% credit on the order. I didn't even have to chase them down...

With Tesla I've got a $134,000 product that has been "In Production" for over two weeks, still "In Production" on a delivery date missed with no explanation volunteered (and a response to a request for that reason that makes little to no sense), a second delivery date pushed back without a reason, and a third delivery date given that has little hope of actually happening, again without explanation.

*sigh*

Tesla's support as an owner from a service perspective has been decent, but from a sales/PR perspective I'm going to have to wonder.

I want to say this week will turn out better, but, I'm not optimistic.

While it is not a beta product this is new product with the possibility for unforeseen delays. However, the real issue is communication: Sticking the head in the sand is not good. A brief announcement and explanation around the range change would have been sensible as well.

The three Cs of customer satisfaction: Consistency, consistency, consistency

http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/co...isfaction_consistency_consistency_consistency

I'll take Tesla innovation, with all of its warts, over Insights from McKinsey any day.

If you are familiar with Crossing the Chasm, Tesla is in transition from appealing only to the Innovators and Early Adopters and is beginning to serve the Early Majority. It is a bumpy road for both the company and the somewhat less tolerant customers the company is now reaching. This is not an excuse for Tesla's lack of consistency, just a statement of fact. And don't forget the Tesla has higher customer satisfaction ratings than any other car company, including Porsche. Of course those ratings come from the Innovators and Early Adopters who comprise the current customer base.

I am waiting for a production notification so I stopped by at the Canoga Park-Woodland Hills store to get the latest information. They had a pre-production P85D which Elon picked up himself this morning at 6:30 am. He lives nearby in Bel Air. Why he picked it up is pure speculation. They also had a new huge diagram on the wall showing the dual motors and the computers showed the new EPA ratings. Staff also had no idea of the reason for the delays.

Tesla may not be in a position to communicate any specific details related to the P85D delay. Any email from a Tesla employee could be picked up by any number of anti-Tesla financial analysts and any such "news" could violate some FTC regulations especially if the buyer also happens to be a shareholder.

Tesla may not be in a position to communicate any specific details related to the P85D delay. Any email from a Tesla employee could be picked up by any number of anti-Tesla financial analysts and any such "news" could violate some FTC regulations especially if the buyer also happens to be a shareholder.

All the more reason to get everyone on the same page and let us know whats happening.

WHOA!!! I step away from the forum for just 24 hours only to find 10 new pages on this thread alone!

Well I'd like to simply contribute by sharing my optimism that Tesla will figure this out in due time, and even though I'm not the most patient person, I'm confident we'll get our P85Ds delivered soon and grinning so hard this will all be forgotten :)

Here's to a positive thought for the upcoming week!

Tesla wants to provide a great customer experience and earn a great reputation for its brand. Fine.

But the customer experience does not start with the car, it starts way before then, and it includes everything a buyer has to go through to get their car -- not just ordering online, but insurance, financing, possibly installing electrical facilities at home, all sorts of hassles. Smart companies learn how to manage customer expectations during these often turbulent times. Tesla needs to get smarter. A lot smarter. And fast. Botching a P85D rollout is not acceptable, and does not bode well for the X rollout next year, which will usher in a new wave of customers, many first-time buyers to the brand, and new to the EV experience, to range anxiety (which is real and tangible and here for a good long while) and the notion of having an electrician install an outlet in the garage or whatever.

The better Tesla manages its communications -- which really means managing customer expectations -- the better. I suspect there is nobody who directly owns this at Tesla. Or, no one person whose job it is to make sure it is being trained and ingrained into the corporate culture from top to bottom. It may be difficult considering who's at the top. But they have to figure this out. Soon.

I am waiting for a production notification so I stopped by at the Canoga Park-Woodland Hills store to get the latest information. They had a pre-production P85D which Elon picked up himself this morning at 6:30 am. He lives nearby in Bel Air. Why he picked it up is pure speculation. They also had a new huge diagram on the wall showing the dual motors and the computers showed the new EPA ratings. Staff also had no idea of the reason for the delays.

LOL!
The car you speak of is the black P85D dealer car, between 6:30 am-9:00 am this morning I was parked 1 car over & Elon was not at the event, I took the picture at 6:47 am.

IMG_0063.JPG

WHOA!!! I step away from the forum for just 24 hours only to find 10 new pages on this thread alone!

Well I'd like to simply contribute by sharing my optimism that Tesla will figure this out in due time, and even though I'm not the most patient person, I'm confident we'll get our P85Ds delivered soon and grinning so hard this will all be forgotten :)

Here's to a positive thought for the upcoming week!

Right on! Deliveries will start this coming week and then soon after lots of media coverage about what an amazing car it is. No one will care or remember that the first few deliveries were delayed a week or two.