Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL!
The car you speak of is the black P85D dealer car, between 6:30 am-9:00 am this morning I was parked 1 car over & Elon was not at the event, I took the picture at 6:47 am.

View attachment 65460

Ah you left the EXIF data on that one :p

Code:
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
2014:12:07 06:47:26

GPS Latitude    [removed]
GPS Longitude    [removed]

[street information removed]
Woodland Hills, CA 91367

Edit/Note to mod: .... anyone can still get that information from the image? and it points to a public parking lot of a public event that was already noted by the poster anyway? *sigh*

Last edited:
It was great to see the photo earlier today that looks like a P85D delivered to a customer. I hope this is what it seems and you all get your cars very soon.

I can understand why there is frustration with Tesla's communication. It's an area they can improve on.

That said, I think it's worth bearing in mind, that it's been a week or so of delay, and we don't know what's been going on behind the scenes. Tesla and it's communications receive intense media scrutiny and are often misrepresented in a flood of media coverage for a variety of reasons. It may be that Tesla has been trying to negotiate with the EPA what is on the Monroney, sticker, and what Tesla is at liberty to discuss with the public about it. I am fairly confident that the 85D and P85D will achieve the 65 mph ranges Tesla had on it's website for the past month or so. That the EPA ratings have confused some here who follow Tesla so closely and are actually purchasing the car to the point of their thinking that the those 65 mph range readings have changed, is indicative of how much interest Tesla has in releasing the EPA numbers in a manner that does not lead to the misunderstanding that the company's claim of increased efficiency at the October 9th event is false. That is, if those following Tesla without an agenda to damage the company have misunderstood the implications of those EPA numbers, imagine what those who would like to damage the company might do with the EPA numbers. It appears the car is more efficient in some driving circumstances, less efficient in others... but in the one where range matters, it appears the car does indeed have better efficiency and range. I believe Tesla is pro-actively working to keep that point from being buried in misleading coverage. I get that those of you waiting for your cars would rather they just pro-actively get you a date for your car. I'm sure I'd feel some of that too if I were in your shoes. What's more, I think Tesla would have done better early on to say increased efficiency in highway driving, some lost efficiency in city driving.

Finally, this is speculation, but if Tesla was attempting to negotiate with the EPA, you can be sure the kind of media frenzy and misrepresentation of information we saw with the Broder NYT "article" and the vehicle fires (including misrepresentations of Tesla's responses once those stories broke) would have disrupted constructive discussions with the EPA.

Tesla can do better with communications. At the same time, Tesla would be foolish not to have learned how careful they have to be communicating about information susceptible to a media firestorm.

I suspect we'll see a Tesla blog on all this very soon... perhaps later tonight.

Enjoy your cars when you get them, and please don't forget to write us about your experiences with the car!
Nicely put. I have similar feelings to those of other posters here and I was a bit raw after the trade in process; however, to play Devils advocate, Tesla is not able to just communicate with us owners. Everything they say will appear here and be scrutinized by all of us and hundreds more including journalists. Every nugget of information is extrapolated in 10 different ways and magnified. Secondly, they may be holding off until they have a conclusive resolution rather than delivering tiny dribs and drabs that essentially say we don't know when your car will be ready (CNN style). I think what we are all saying here is that we would prefer to know something rather than nothing, but Teslas approach to delivering information has tended historically to be "get ducks in a row and then deliver a thorough information brief".

First of all I want to remind everyone here that Tesla probably very much wants to put these vehicles in your hands as soon as possible. So far we're only 7 days into December. They've still got the rest of the month to get deliveries done for December. If they miss delivering these vehicles this month it's going to be bad for them. So whatever the reason for the delay is, I think we can all safely rest knowing that it's important and Tesla is working as hard as they can to resolve it.

It's likely that Tesla still will make a statement about this. I'd bet on a blog post sometime on Monday. I doubt they would publish a blog post on a Sunday that won't get the appropriate amount of attention they'd want to get on the news. If you assume they updated the order form as soon as they could after they felt they could with the EPA range numbers, then it's likely they only got that information on Friday or Saturday. Meaning they haven't had time to communicate.

I understand the frustration of the P85D owners. I know how frustrating it is when you've got a car on order and Tesla doesn't communicate with you. Been there done that (to the point I didn't know I was picking up my car for sure the day of my delivery).

Just give it a few more days. I'd take the EPA numbers showing up on the website as a good sign that things are coming along.

Wow, I woke up to a few more pages of posts. I do think everyone (ok, some) of us need to take a deep breath. As stated by many, Tesla wants to deliver these cars as much as we do. It's just a car.. And a first world problem at that.

I wrote the letter to Jerome. Let's give him a chance to respond. I specifically said to the extent that he is able without causing harm to the company. If he doesn't respond, he has his reasons.

For me, the only thing I really want is their best estimate as to when the cars will ship so that I can plan my holiday travel accordingly. I know many of you are in the same boat. I'd much rather hear bad news now, and then have Tesla surprise me, vs. no communication now with Tesla disappointing me. That's it. Communication with real data, even if that data is not perfect. Manage my expectations.

I'm not going to post on this thread on this topic for a few days, unless I hear back from Jerome or tesla posts to their blog, etc., in an effort to keep some perspective. Breath everyone :)

Please people-
Tesla is a publicly traded company that is incredibly volatile. People are betting on it constantly. They simply can not provide the type of information you are looking for. If they say anything at all, as mentioned above, it will likely be in a blog post to all.

Expecting Tesla to deliver a perfect PD is the definition of insanity (doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result). It is like handing your keys to a valet to park your car three blocks away and thinking he/she will not stomp on the throttle. You (I) may get lucky but I doubt it.

For those excited about $1/4MM in MS product purchase, I'm on $1/2MM and there are those that have bought much more. Tesla treats us all the same.

What Tesla has proven with past performance is (1) they will deliver, (2) the product will be exceptional and (3) they will address any issues the car may have. However, they do release early and often so you are a Beta tester like it or not.

I agree and hope they get their act together and do some splain'n

While we do have the right to ask, without a doubt, I'd rather see them take the time that it takes for them to make sure that the first few units are done properly. They have more than enough motivation already to get these things out the door in December. Additional customer pressure will accomplish absolutely nothing - not that I figure that anybody really watches these forums to check whether or not we're impatient. :)

I've, personally, been through enough production line startups that I can assure you that this is an "all hands on deck", insanely high pressure, "we need to get these things out the door" situation unfolding at the Tesla plant. In those situations there is enormous pressure to ship what you've got, known warts and all. Please, Tesla, let the QA and engineering folks do their job and ship only when the car is ready. Waiting until January wouldn't kill me if that's what it takes. If they choose to tell us what the issues are, that's fine. But I'm also okay just letting the experts finish their job. Tesla has an excellent track record.

I've lived my whole life without a Tesla S P85D. Another couple of weeks of driving the F150 is fine. :)

I got the official email that my Tesla is in production this morning - yeah! Apparently, however, I'll have to supply my own wheels...
compositor.jpeg

;-)

So, I hopped in my P85 this morning and did a 0 to 120 MPH run... and all is forgiven for now. :biggrin:

Going to suggest that some others who are irritated do the same... or come to me and you can take a spin with me. :p

Stock's plummeting, P85D customers up in arms, and Elon is tweeting about old sci-fi books.

What is wrong with this picture.

Fantastic time to buy in, Tesla doing the right thing and not delivering cars until they are completely 100% happy, Elon is apparently cool about things.

Tesla could be doing a much better job on communications but.....Glass half-full.