Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Combining this new development from MarcG with the email from Jerome Guillen this afternoon, I'm wondering if the two could somehow be related. I mean, could there have been some combination of issues between the airbags and new seats, that were resolved with slight changes to the design of either the airbag system or the seats, or in how things are put together, that somehow left a small number of cars in a weird state of limbo with the wrong pieces of the puzzle that can't easily now be fit together?

Seat issue: definitely many explanations....not excuses.....As mentioned above, maybe they needed a quick redesign with the airbag issue Jerome noted; maybe the first batch they received were well made and put into the demo cars and when a larger shipment arrived they had a problem with the quality...maybe, maybe. It appears that the deliveries are starting. Maybe we should all wait to see how prevalent 'seat-gate' and 'heated steering wheel gate' are before we start jumping to conclusions?

Just heard a few bites of information about the number of P85D being delivered before the end of the year in our region (Saint Louis and a few surrounding states) - 150. of those 150 - 30 of those specific to Saint Louis. When I looked at the spreadsheet that is being managed via this thread, there are no Missouri cars on that list (I didn't add mine either...) So it doesn't surprise me that much in trying to extrapolate any amount of sense from just forum input is making weird outcomes that don't make sense.

Also based on that same discussion with the sales office - only two customer cars are arriving next week. The rest are being built week of 12/15 - all will be made available by end of year. However way you want to figure out the math - that could be 15-30 P85D deliveries a day just in our region - with 3-6 of those a day just in Saint Louis before and after Christmas. That's on top of all of the other non-P85D cars coming through the sales office. These guys and gals are going to be crazy busy getting all of these deliveries taken care of. We don't even have that much space to park all of those cars!!

I can only imagine now that the demo tech car is available for rides (no driving yet - bummer!!) - there are going to be a lot of smiling owners soon. That 0-60 just made me laugh my butt off!!! I keep laughing just thinking about it.

Well, here is one happy future owner. My status just changed overnight:

P85D_121014.png

This is my first Tesla and I am obviously very excited!

For reference, I ordered and confirmed on 10/24, but had a P85+ on order, albeit unconfirmed, prior to the "D" event. We had to delete that car and start the D order from scratch, because the system wouldn't let us convert it to the P85D. I was initially quoted a tentative production day during the current week and delivery on 12/22, but was told during the slow-down, that production would be pushed back to the week of 12/15. This delay was re-confirmed just last night by my DS, John Van Cleave, who is otherwise very helpful (Thank you, John!), and then the status changed to production overnight. I am obviously very happy, but this chain of events might explain the limited information DSs have available prior to the vehicle entering production.

Regarding the number of of cars ordered, I read on the company website that one of the prospective D owners received information that the Cincinnati Service Center was told to expect more than 40 P85D for December delivery, albeit hard to believe, and mine is the only one in the spreadsheet.

Good luck to everyone else in the queue! Hopefully, the seat issue, as raised by Marc, will be resolved, too!

Last edited:
Well, here is one happy future owner. My status just changed overnight:

View attachment 65637

This is my first Tesla and I am obviously very excited!

For reference, I ordered and confirmed on 10/24, but had a P85+ on order, albeit unconfirmed, prior to the "D" event. We had to delete that car and start the D order from scratch, because the system wouldn't let us convert it to the P85D. I was initially quoted a tentative production day during the current week and delivery on 12/22, but was told during the slow-down, that production would be pushed back to the week of 12/15. This delay was re-confirmed by my DS, John Van Cleeve, who is otherwise very helpful (Thank you, John!), and then the status changed to production overnight. I am obviously very happy, but this chain of events might explain the limited information DSs have available prior to the vehicle entering production.

Regarding the number of of cars ordered, I read on the company website that one of the prospective D owners received information that the Cincinnati Service Center was told to expect more than 40 P85D for December delivery, albeit hard to believe, and mine is the only one in the spreadsheet.

Good luck to everyone else in the queue! Hopefully, the seat issue, as raised by Marc, will be resolved, too!
Congrats on the status change... I haven't checked in the last few hours so I'm going to head over to TMC and check My Tesla now. I'll be right back...

Nope. Still in the queue :(

Now THIS is INSANE mode.

Update from my DS this morning- my car is in final burn in. It appears to be moving through the process now at a faster (normal?) pace.

I was told no cars will be built with the heated steering wheel in 2014. Go to that thread to discuss that tid bit...

Lastly, he did confirm the next gen black seats are in short supply.

Anyone who was originally scheduled for delivery last week gotten a new delivery date yet?

I'm expecting to get a delivery date some time today, hoping that it's for this Saturday at the latest.

By the way, I had replied to Jerome's mass email from yesterday asking whether P85D deliveries are now starting since the final concern was resolved. His reply was simply that my DS and Ownership Advisor would be in touch with me when more information is available, and that they're doing everything they can to expedite delivery of my Model S. We shall see.