Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new regular seats don't have the additional bolstering that the next gen seats do that stick up from the bottom portion, hence the questions about still folding flat.

I got some details from my DS who seems very sympathetic. Firstly he has no information about what is happening with my car but he could tell me that the car would be shipped with the original nappa leather seats. The only information he had on my delay was because of the next gen seats so he was also at a loss to understand why my car is still held up if it doesn't have the Recaro seats. Secondly, it will definitely not have the heated steering and he is still getting a strong indication that this feature will not be retrofitted. He is still trying to find out whether this is a policy decision (so potentially changeable) or a technical issue.
I've decided that given the indefinite nature of my car delivery that has been building for 21 days and that will come without the new seats (for now) and without the heated steering wheel (no retrofit) and which seems to have some unknown flaw that is holding it up (doesn't bode well for the future) - I'm going to cancel and re-order and join Lola in the 2015 sweepstakes. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but will consider over the weekend.

Well, the problem is that I've heard "next week" more than once through this, and then "next week" comes and it just gets pushed to "next week" again. *sigh* So, I'm not optimistic about "next week"'s news.

I think you should ask to speak to a regional manager if you aren't happy with the answer next week. Make sure they're aware of your timing situation and see what they can do. Now that it seems that car are being delivered, I'd like to think they can work with you. If you delay much past next week they may not be able to help you though.

I've decided that given the indefinite nature of my car delivery that has been building for 21 days and that will come without the new seats (for now) and without the heated steering wheel (no retrofit) and which seems to have some unknown flaw that is holding it up (doesn't bode well for the future) - I'm going to cancel and re-order and join Lola in the 2015 sweepstakes. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but will consider over the weekend.

Yep, I'm with you probably, but I likely will not actually rejoin the delivery lottery if cancel. Until they start having a car I can walk in and buy, I think this is the last order I place with Tesla. This process is just too chaotic and makes little sense.

However, I did offer to my DS that I would rather take delivery with the old seats (upgrade them later) than not take delivery at all. I could care less about a heated steering wheel... that's definitely not a make or break item here.

My irritation with the situation has gotten me to the point where I fired off an email to Jerome Guillen explaining my situation and intentions. Nothing against my DS. He seems to be doing the best he can with the info he has. The problem seems to be that not even he has the info, and being the main point of contact for me that seems a bit unacceptable. Not his fault, probably, but looks bad on Tesla none the less.

Hopefully I get a response from Jerome directly, although at this point I'll be kind of surprised to get any new info at all any time soon. Next week next week next week just isn't going to fly.

MarcG - congrats! Can you take a pic of the new vanity mirrors and chargeport door mechanism? Also, curious, what software is it running? If you press the Tesla icon at the top of the screen, it should say at the bottom the software version.

Sorry for the delay in responding to this, I was trying to install my roof rack with ski/snowboard and bike attachments before sunset (success! and more photos to follow).

For now, here's a photo of the charge port and a video of how it closes by itself a couple of seconds after unplugging a charging cable:

IMG_5128.jpg

EDIT: almost forgot, here's a photo of the "About" screen showing version 6.0 (2.0.76):

IMG_5127.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the delay in responding to this, I was trying to install my roof rack with ski/snowboard and bike attachments before sunset (success! and more photos to follow).

For now, here's a photo of the charge port and a video of how it closes by itself a couple of seconds after unplugging a charging cable:

Awesome! Thanks for answering all our curiosities. Looking forward to having this on my 85D.

Since I've been getting only generic updates from my otherwise-friendly and reasonably responsive DS, called the Fremont Delivery Center at (510) 249-3650, option 4.

Spoke to Taylor there who said that he has only slightly more visibility than the DSs based out of Palo Alto. He was sympathetic and heard me out but, couldn't explain why my car's stuck "at the end of the line" except for quality control reasons. He did know about @MarcG's car's delivery this morning but, suggested that that was the only P85D delivery at the factory today! @MarcG, did you see anything to the contrary?!

Taylor offered the option for Tesla to FedEx the title transfer documents that I could then send back with the loan check, thus effectively taking delivery in 2014 sight unseen; this is if it looks like the car won't make it by 12/21 before I leave town. Tesla would then deliver the car to my home once I'm back in the new year and I could take a factory tour anytime I want. He understood the VIN year change concern but, only offered that the cars are really the same and having one of the first few P85Ds amounts to something.

Let me see if something changes in the next 3-4 days. In the meantime, I'm planning on walking in and taking delivery of a VW e-Golf this Sunday to replace my wife's ICE car (this second EV buy has a tale of its own but, that's for another thread); ironically, a stone's throw from the Fremont factory in the nearby Newark auto mall :sigh:

Love the car name.

Hehe, thanks. It's a reference to Flash Gordon, the superhero in red, in case it wasn't clear! I mentioned this in my delivery walkthrough video, which I am in the process of converting to a more manageable upload.

In the meantime, I've posted photos of my rack installation in another thread below so as not to pollute this one with non-P85D specific topics:

Ski/snowboard and bike rack on my P85D

off topic... but what charger is that? Handle is completely different from the ones I've seen.

It's from ClipperCreek. I installed it a while back for our Leaf & 500e, so I'll use it to charge at home for now.

- - - Updated - - -

@MarcG, thanks for taking the time to post pics and videos. That auto charge port door was very nice! I know you've got better things to do than post here, but it certainly helps me survive this painful wait! :) Have fun with your new toy sir!

Thank you very much! Pleasure to share my experiences and give back to this awesome forum. Here's to hoping you all get your P85Ds very soon!

- - - Updated - - -

Spoke to Taylor there who said that he has only slightly more visibility than the DSs based out of Palo Alto. He was sympathetic and heard me out but, couldn't explain why my car's stuck "at the end of the line" except for quality control reasons. He did know about @MarcG's car's delivery this morning but, suggested that that was the only P85D delivery at the factory today! @MarcG, did you see anything to the contrary?!

No evidence of another P85D, sadly... hope you get yours shortly! By the way, it was indeed Tyler who did my delivery walkthrough this morning. You'll get to see him in the video once I finish uploading it.

Last edited:
Oh and I took a half-hour video of the delivery walkthrough - yes, I used the GoPro! If there's enough interest I'll try to find a way to upload it.

I'm not at all caught up on this thread yet, (I was travelling today and got to test drive a P85D myself--more on that later and elsewhere) and I'm guessing others may have also commented on this already, but THAT IS AMAZING! I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. I won't be getting a delivery walkthrough, as my P85D is going to be trucked to me. So I imagine once you get your video online somewhere, I'll be watching it over and over again, and getting my wife to watch it too! Thanks so much for doing that!

(oops, originally posted this in the thread with MarcG's ski/snowboard photos... my apologies...)

OK, I am on the spreadsheet (63808) but haven't yet posted yet to this thread but thought now was the time.

I received the final price sheet today, and have been told that my car will go into production this weekend. The DS has been noncommittal on delivery... just quoting "late December", yet the final price sheet says "on or about 12/18. Interestingly. a bunch of other cars destined for Denver, CO some to be a bit ahead of mine but not yet delivered so maybe they are trying to group together.

By the way, this is a multi-coat red P85D, tan interior, grey 21s, and fully loaded expect for the 3rd row. Traded in my first Tesla.. a red/tan P85+ with 790 miles that I received in September. Currently driving the other half's ICE in the meantime.

MarcG... glad to see a red one delivered! ;)