Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
we are now post the 36 hour mark on my car - and other than the seats - the car is flawless. And I trust Tesla will get the seats installed in the new year. For the time being the current seats are far from awful and actually very very good - if the nextGen seats are better then I'll get a nice upgrade in the new year.

I honestly don't understand the customer canceling their orders over the seat kurfluffle. Tesla had a problem, made a call, seems to be doing right for safety and the customer and it still making a fantastic car, and let's be honest. We're talking about delay's of 10-20 days - in the grand scheme of things really no big deal, and less than 8 weeks ago no one had ever heard of this car or nextGen seats. I really, really don't understand why this is such a horrible thing. But I know that's just my opinion.

Same here, production complete today. No clue which seats I have. I was never given a choice or a call regarding them.

BTW, Andrew. Is it possible to sort the spreadsheet by Delivery Complete date again? I've fallen off the bottom of it.

Yes. It's becoming more complicated. Currently sorting in this order Delivered->Finished production->Entered production->Scheduled delivery date->VIN.

Andrew

I'm sure people have their reasons, but, I don't see any that make a lot of sense. The only real reason seems to be the heated steering wheel... which to me is definitely not a good reason to cancel and reorder a $100k+ vehicle over a $20 option...

Certainly no offense intended towards those who has reordered.

I'm sure people have their reasons, but, I don't see any that make a lot of sense. The only real reason seems to be the heated steering wheel... which to me is definitely not a good reason to cancel and reorder a $100k+ vehicle over a $20 option...

No offense taken. To each is own, always..

I've been agonizing over the decision. While I would like the heated steering wheel, that alone wasn't it. I won't be able to take delivery in 2014, which means I won't get the tax credit until 2016. The uncertainty of the build quality was a major factor. I've had cars before with rattles etc that could never be fully resolved. It drove me crazy. I'd prefer a car that came off the assembly line, vs. a car that had work done to it manually by people who don't perform that function on a regular basis. Then there is also the potential resale value of a 2015 over a 2014. None of these alone put me over the edge, it was the sum. I have asked Tesla if they could be more specific about the re-work- is it ONLY the seats, or is there more involved, and haven't received a clear and definitive answer. Without that knowledge, it's hard to judge what the potential is for rattles, etc. I even went as so far to suggest loaning me the car for three days so I can evaluate it, or some kind of buy-back promise, but Tesla would not agree to it.

Not withstanding all of the above, if Tesla could deliver my original car to me before my road trip, I would take it. Originally I wanted a few extra days to get the car wrapped, but if they delivered it even with an extra day I might be able to get just the front-end wrapped and complete the rest of the work in January. This is also not without risk, but one I'm willing to take at this point. Sadly, it didn't happen, and while I understand the cause of the odd sequencing, it is still frustrating to have placed the first confirmed order for a P85D at the "D" event, to have received multiple promises of delivery before my trip (before the seat issue was known), only to end up not receiving the car until January while many others are receiving their cars who placed later orders. It is what it is, such is life, etc.

Edit: Just for some color, and maybe some sympathy points, the road trip was planned around the model S. I have hotel reservations at superchargers, etc. Instead I'll be driving a rented mini-van and burning oil. If you've done a road trip in a model S before, you'll get just how painful this is going to be.

Edit2: I even went as so far as to offer to pick up the car on the west coast. Not in CA because of the tax issue, but Nevada, Washington state, etc., and drive the car home if it would end up being faster because of truck availability.

Last edited:
Further info from my DS. My car will be coming with the old seats, to be swapped out later. Time frame - totally unknown.

Of course, I never was given any options, just told what was going to happen.

Well, you have options. You don't have to accept delivery of a car that you did not order. I'm sure all the options that have been made available to others in this situation are also available to you.

So for me, my thinking is

1) My car has been in production for 21 days now (first batch car?), there clearly appears to be issues with its original build (I do not know the issue and either does DS), and it is taking long time to fix (not a good sign). There seems to be a real possibility that my car is not as well built as the current P85D's being built. Why not get a car built right the first time versus a beta production car that has issues?

2) I ordered the regular performance leather seats as I was unaware of the Next Gen seats being the preferred "better" option. (note, seems my issue in delay may not be the seats). Now I would like to upgrade.

3) If I reorder, my car is delivered in February, so the new paint gets to miss the worst part of Chicago weather, it is a 2015 model, and as a small upgrade bonus get a heated steering wheel and maybe even a few more interior upgrades being rumored. Also, I am out of town 1/1 to 1/20 anyway.

The downside is waiting, driving my daughter's mini-SUV, and possibly higher costs to finance. So am i crazy to cancel and rebook if I do not lose the deposit? What would you do?

My DS just called. My P85D is here in Seattle and will take delivery on Thursday:)
Wow congrats! Waiting on that call from my DS for the good news. I was supposed to take delivery TODAY but was cancelled D=

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered on 10/10 and confirmed on 10/25. My DS says my car will be here (Chicago) Friday for pickup. However, the next generation seats I ordered did not make it. He is telling me that they will put those in in the near future and my car will have to go in for the change. Anyone else having this experience. My car went into production on about 11/24. It was complete about 3 or 4 days ago. So I guess they will swap out the seats in January.

I'm assuming you spoke with Andrew. I am in the same boat. Ordered 10/10, confirm 10/25. Andrew still has no idea when my car will be shipped but it will not come with next-gen seats.

3) If I reorder, my car is delivered in February, so the new paint gets to miss the worst part of Chicago weather, it is a 2015 model, and as a small upgrade bonus get a heated steering wheel and maybe even a few more interior upgrades being rumored.

So am i crazy to cancel and rebook if I do not lose the deposit?

I don't think you are crazy at all.

Also, what other rumored interior upgrades?

If you have ever been involved with a smaller (in this case still smaller in the scale of the automobile industry) company undergoing rapid expansion and growing pains, often communication can be the last thing on the minds of the ownership. Although this is typically the most important as perceived by the consumers, the ownership is most often more focused on the client experience from a product standpoint and is more focused on ensuring the product delivers as close to the client expectation as possible. Tesla will likely look back on this experience and while not necessarily deciding their decisions were wrong, they will work to improve client communication.

Keep in mind (everyone) that communication without 100% clarity is a double-edged sword and no matter how much information you give... people will always want more and fill the gaps with speculation. This is why major companies revert to little/no communication or media releases only. Tesla has tried to keep things "grass roots" with their more humane approach at communicating however it seems that no matter what they try it will never be good enough for the internet forum dwellers.

I've been thinking about this question a lot these past few days. I actually have a lot of experience building businesses, although mine have been more services oriented than products oriented. I agree 100% that there are clearly defined limits to what Tesla can and should disclose and to a certain extent the amount of information they have exposed in terms of the dashboard is at the root of some of their problems. They'd still have problems without it because most of us in "the black hole" have had promised delivery dates cancelled and many have been contacted with an offer to accept different equipment than what they ordered, so it isn't entirely due to the information they publish, but that has exacerbated their problem somewhat.

However, on balance, I think the information they provide on the dashboard also provides some comfort. For instance, we know that recent orders appear to be progressing rapidly through the line into shipping. That is good news because it suggests that they are capable of delivering cars without the long production delays which indicates that whatever the problems were with the early models, they do know what needs to be done to fix them. Even though they haven't communicated that to us directly, we have learned it by pooling our resources. Additionally, the fact that many people are escaping the black hole in the past few days (again communicated pretty much exclusively through the dashboard) means that its just a matter of working through the backlog.

What is frankly indefensible in really any organization is completely failing to respond to customer communications. Just for curiousity, I checked my outbound emails and my call history on the cell. I've sent two emails to my DS, one to "inside delivery" at the mothership and two to the HPWC coordinator. Both of the emails to the HPWC people were returned promptly, none of the three to the delivery folks was ever responded to at all. I've placed six outgoing calls to the DS in the last month and left two voice mails. I've also left one voice mail with the "delivery line" in California. I've never been called back from any of those voice messages. Additionally, in one of the four phone conversations I had I was promised that they would look something up and call me back that afternoon. That didn't happen either. I called the next day and got the answer. I've never had an incoming call from anyone at Tesla.

Honestly, I'm not particularly upset by any of that. At the end of the day, Tesla is a product company and I'm still convinced that the product is incredible. I'll get my car and I'm pretty sure I'll love it. But failure to respond to emails and return voice messages is really dumb and is easily corrected. Either they need to be staffed more appropriately or they need better CRM tools or they need to train their folks differently. I do believe that stuff like that matters. When I was deciding if I was willing to buy the Tesla and doing my research on forums, one of the things that persuaded me to make the purchase was reading some stories about extraordinary personal service provided by the service teams to customers. I think that they need to step up their game on the delivery side of the house.

Honestly, I'm not particularly upset by any of that. At the end of the day, Tesla is a product company and I'm still convinced that the product is incredible. I'll get my car and I'm pretty sure I'll love it. But failure to respond to emails and return voice messages is really dumb and is easily corrected. Either they need to be staffed more appropriately or they need better CRM tools or they need to train their folks differently. I do believe that stuff like that matters. When I was deciding if I was willing to buy the Tesla and doing my research on forums, one of the things that persuaded me to make the purchase was reading some stories about extraordinary personal service provided by the service teams to customers. I think that they need to step up their game on the delivery side of the house.
+1 !!!

I obviously think the product is great, otherwise I wouldn't have ordered one -- but I also had read on this forum and elsewhere about how great Tesla's customer service was -- and I was stunned at how bad it was in comparison to my experience at Porsche. I'm really not trying to trash Tesla here -- I want them to succeed, and success requires that they learn from their shortcomings, rather than us being fanbois and looking the other way.

Tesla has had my $130k since 12/4, but I'm still in the black hole. They will clearly miss the promised delivery date (before my holiday travels) but still no communication from my DS. I'm a huge Tesla fan, but at this point I'm pretty disappointed.

You and I both are still in the hole. I'm thinking the Texas deliveries may start coming out next but who knows, really?

Last edited:
maybe a bit late to fade-in again and obviously off-topic ... but I'm surprised there are some so keen to see the max. performance on the speedo ... to remember from physics ... performance = force x speed or for the engine is performance = torque x rev ... as far I remember the tesla engine has almost constant torque up to half of max rev, so do not expect to see max performance as long the torque keep constant with increasing revs ... and with higher revs when the torques is decreasing there will be somewhere the point with max performance. it gets a bit more complicated with two engines with different max performance numbers ... as long they are not at the same rev. so to say you may have max performance of front and rear motor you will see, but not at the same speed....

Which is why we should ask those who either have received delivery on their d or test drove what the max kw output they saw on the dashboard. For me...today...it was around 440kw at about 50% battery charge=about 590hp. If anyone can uplay a screenshot or ideally video of a d launch it would be helpful...ideally at 100% charge