Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The seats have been confusing. At one point there was next gen, performance, nappa, and textile. But then a few days later either the perf or the nappa seats were dropped. I think performance was dropped? But now if you look it's next gen, nappa which is actually performance, and black textile.

Seats are like this:
Textile (obvious don't need to explain this)
Nappa (Same structure as textile with leather instead of cloth).
Performance (Nappa with some panels being alcantara and with a different colored piping on some edges [black seats have red, grey seats have tan and tan seats have grey]. The name performance comes from the fact that this upgraded seat was only originally available on P vehicles. Availability since then has bounced around between all vehicles and only P vehicles since.)
Next Generation (Leather Seats with more bolstering)

Performance seats have been dropped from being able to be ordered. But I believe it was possible to order Performance Seats on a P85D and I suspect that Tesla would fulfill those orders. At least one of the people in one of these threads that's reordering mentioned that mistakenly ordering Performance seats was part of his decision to reorder.

Some people with grey Nappa seats in non-P85D vehicles have been offered Performance seats instead as there has apparently been a shortage of Grey Nappa seats at the factory. This might be an attempt to eliminate inventory. P85D vehicles originally ordered with Next Generation Seats appear to be being delivered with either Nappa or Performance seats (at least I've seen people posting saying their orders were coming with Nappa or Performance seats). Also there seems to be a lot of variation as far as if all the seats (front and back match) or if only one set of seats has been swapped based on what people have been reporting.

So your spreadsheet does not appear to support all the available options or represent the situation with the seats very well. I'd suggest two columns for the delivered seats (front and back).

Seats are like this:
Textile (obvious don't need to explain this)
Nappa (Same structure as textile with leather instead of cloth).
Performance (Nappa with some panels being alcantara and with a different colored piping on some edges [black seats have red, grey seats have tan and tan seats have grey]. The name performance comes from the fact that this upgraded seat was only originally available on P vehicles. Availability since then has bounced around between all vehicles and only P vehicles since.)
Next Generation (Leather Seats with more bolstering)

Performance seats have been dropped from being able to be ordered. But I believe it was possible to order Performance Seats on a P85D and I suspect that Tesla would fulfill those orders. At least one of the people in one of these threads that's reordering mentioned that mistakenly ordering Performance seats was part of his decision to reorder.

Some people with grey Nappa seats in non-P85D vehicles have been offered Performance seats instead as there has apparently been a shortage of Grey Nappa seats at the factory. This might be an attempt to eliminate inventory. P85D vehicles originally ordered with Next Generation Seats appear to be being delivered with either Nappa or Performance seats (at least I've seen people posting saying their orders were coming with Nappa or Performance seats). Also there seems to be a lot of variation as far as if all the seats (front and back match) or if only one set of seats has been swapped based on what people have been reporting.

So your spreadsheet does not appear to support all the available options or represent the situation with the seats very well. I'd suggest two columns for the delivered seats (front and back).

I'll work on it in a bit. On a plane about to take off. As soon as laptops are allowed and the wifi is on :)

63588 just switched to production compete. Preparing for shipping. Of course... Probably a day or two too late.

image.jpg

Andrew - I got switched to production complete Friday. 4 days later this is my car sitting in Columbus ready for pickup. It can be done!

My P85D just finished production and I am beyond excited about my first Tesla!

VIN: 63676, P85D, grey, black interior, Piano black, next generation seats, 21" grey, textile headliner, air suspension, Pano, tech, dual chargers

Ordered: 10/23, upgrading a pre-"D event" P85+ order
Reconfirmed: 10/24
Estimated delivery: Late December (never changed)
Initially quoted delivery date: "weekend of 12/22"
Entered Production: 12/10
Finished production 12/16, was stuck in "Noise Vibration and Harshness testing" for the past couple of days
Seats: Don't know yet

It seems that I am one of the lucky ones, who were in the second wave. I feel for everyone in the first wave that got stuck in the black hole.
I am just keeping my fingers crossed that there won't be any future issues that may have required the extended testing.

And a big thanks to Andrew for starting the spreadsheet and thread, without which we would have never been able to track the problems.

So as a Tesla stockholder, I'm a little concerned about the cost involved in "seat gate". Does Tesla simply plan on eating the costs associated with this or will they recycle the Performance Seats they replace with Next Gen seats? Just curious if anyone might know what they plan to do with several thousand seats???
I don't think it will be that many, keep in mind that the Next Gen seats are only available on the P85D and are a option not standard. However they could offer them to textile model s owners as a upgrade, or make a hand bag out of it check out Tesla's design collection http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/design-collection

So as a Tesla stockholder, I'm a little concerned about the cost involved in "seat gate". Does Tesla simply plan on eating the costs associated with this or will they recycle the Performance Seats they replace with Next Gen seats? Just curious if anyone might know what they plan to do with several thousand seats???

I would be more worried if they did not have a 'plan B' and get those P85Ds out to customers when it comes to the stock price. The loss, or shifting to 2015, of the income associated with the sale of the Ds would drawf any loss associated with the seats.

Is anyone else worried that some test drivers are reporting that the steering may feel lighter than the 'sport' setting on the P85+. This would be a major turn off for me and something I would have expected tesla to be more up front about.

I was a bit sour about taking a bath on my 4000 mile P85+, but with delays, seat-gate, range-gate and now reports of softer steering I'm starting to get really upset.

Thanks for letting me vent!

63588 just switched to production compete. Preparing for shipping. Of course... Probably a day or two too late.

How many days was your vehicle "In Production"? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

My P85D just finished production and I am beyond excited about my first Tesla!

VIN: 63676, P85D, grey, black interior, Piano black, next generation seats, 21" grey, textile headliner, air suspension, Pano, tech, dual chargers

Ordered: 10/23, upgrading a pre-"D event" P85+ order
Reconfirmed: 10/24
Estimated delivery: Late December (never changed)
Initially quoted delivery date: "weekend of 12/22"
Entered Production: 12/10
Finished production 12/16, was stuck in "Noise Vibration and Harshness testing" for the past couple of days
Seats: Don't know yet

It seems that I am one of the lucky ones, who were in the second wave. I feel for everyone in the first wave that got stuck in the black hole.
I am just keeping my fingers crossed that there won't be any future issues that may have required the extended testing.

And a big thanks to Andrew for starting the spreadsheet and thread, without which we would have never been able to track the problems.

Congrats. How did you find out that the car was stuck in "noise vibration etc" status? Where does one get that information. The My Tesla website only shows "In Production", its been that way since Saturday 12/13.

Thanks.

How many days was your vehicle "In Production"? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats. How did you find out that the car was stuck in "noise vibration etc" status? Where does one get that information. The My Tesla website only shows "In Production", its been that way since Saturday 12/13.

Thanks.

I noticed that other cars that started production (12/10) with mine finished before me, so I emailed my DS which stage my car was in; that was his response. DS have more information in their system than what's available on the website.

also I doubt we'll get to "several thousand" - probably less than 200 sets of seats - and they can refurbish them, put them in loaners, test cars, and use them to spruce up lease returns…

I received new information on my order today. In production since 11/27/14, VIN: 65265. They will swap in the Performance Seats, front and rear (Tan) in place of the next gen seats I ordered. Like others here, they will replace with the next gen seating when available. In a follow-up email DS said should ship within a week, with a 2 day ship time to Denver. At the end of the day my dashboard still says “in production”.