Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my P85D today!
2014-12-22.jpg

I still have my old 2013 P85, so I did a controlled 15 mile loop back-to-back to compare efficiency.

Same route, same time of day, same speeds, mostly 65 mph, same temperature. Only differences should be tires (21" Continentals on the P85, 21" staggered Michelins on the P85D) and the dual motor itself. Note, there is considerable elevation gain (and loss) in this loop, hence the higher than normal averages across the board.

Here are the results:

P85, 21" Continentals, 50F, 15.5 mile loop (65mph)
5.1kWh used for an average of 329Wh/mi
IMG_20141222_153317.jpg

P85D, 21" Michelins, 50F, same 15.5 mile loop (65mph)
5.4kWh used for an average of 350Wh/mi
IMG_20141222_145428.jpg

So, in this test the P85D used 6% more energy.

I think it's fair to say that when Elon said the dual motor increased range, he was referring to the standard 85D.

Picked up my P85D today!
View attachment 66814

I still have my old 2013 P85, so I did a controlled 15 mile loop back-to-back to compare efficiency.

Same route, same time of day, same speeds, mostly 65 mph, same temperature. Only differences should be tires (21" Continentals on the P85, 21" staggered Michelins on the P85D) and the dual motor itself. Note, there is considerable elevation gain (and loss) in this loop, hence the higher than normal averages across the board.

Here are the results:

View attachment 66815

View attachment 66816

I think it's fair to say that when Elon said the dual motor increased range, he was referring to the standard 85D.

Very interesting. Isn't the major issue that Tesla said that the P85D would have greater range than the P85? That's a huge miss.

I really hope you just typed that backwards. 265s are for the rear and 245s go in front. The 19s also always get better efficiency than the 21s.

Ah yeah, oops. Just double checked and I typed it backwards. lol. 265 on rear, 245 on front.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think that is fair at all. The page for the P85D showed "285 miles" for a while, and the 85D showed "295 miles" indicating the P85D was only 3-4% less efficient than the 85D, which was 11% more efficient than the P85/85... which still lands the P85D as more efficient. At no time up until the EPA numbers were published (which was months after I ordered) was there any indication the P85D was less efficient.

Honestly, if the P85D is going to be less efficient on the highway drives I normally do than the P85 I don't want it and I will certainly hold Tesla accountable for this since it really is not what I paid for. As of now I've yet to even come close to the EPA rated Wh/mi, let alone more efficient than the P85...

But I'll know for sure after my 600 mile trek tomorrow that I've done many times in the P85 already. I'll have plenty of time to test at various speeds and such.

Ah yeah, oops. Just double checked and I typed it backwards. lol. 265 on rear, 245 on front.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think that is fair at all. The page for the P85D showed "285 miles" for a while, and the 85D showed "295 miles" indicating the P85D was only 3-4% less efficient than the 85D, which was 11% more efficient than the P85/85... which still lands the P85D as more efficient. At no time up until the EPA numbers were published (which was months after I ordered) was there any indication the P85D was less efficient.

Honestly, if the P85D is going to be less efficient on the highway drives I normally do than the P85 I don't want it and I will certainly hold Tesla accountable for this since it really is not what I paid for. As of now I've yet to even come close to the EPA rated Wh/mi, let alone more efficient than the .

+1.

Also the EPA MPGe Highway rating is actually higher for the P85D than it was for previous models. So even though overall the EPA numbers indicated it was less efficient, with what we had been told about increased efficiency, and seeing the higher MPGe highway number, it looked like we'd still be OK with respect to range when we needed it, on long highway trips.

I don't understand how the EPA MPGe could be higher and real world numbers could be so much worse.

Last edited:
Just to insert some positivity back into the thread: Took delivery of my P85D from the Fremont factory on Sunday, and oh my, does it go! A previous TMC user posted that after flooring it on a freeway onramp, the butterflies in his stomach were still there 15 minutes later, and I experienced the exact same thing. My wife let out a little squeal as we accelerated. I had been apprehensive about the power of the motors, but other than scary fast acceleration when I want to push it, it never feels out of control, and it's easy to drive slowly or cautiously. The main thing I'm going to have to watch out for is that in light traffic on the freeway it's also easy to get over 80MPH without really noticing, since there's no engine noise to act as a cue. I do notice the front-motor whine some people have reported, but it's not very loud in my car and pretty much vanishes beneath normal road noise when not accelerating.

I got the old-style seats, back and front, with a promise of the next-gen ones when available. Not ideal, but I'd rather have the car to drive around sooner rather than later. I am actually considering whether to tell them I want to keep the old back seats and only have the next-gens in front; given how rarely there are more than two people in my car, I think the flatter trunk space might be worth more to me than the increased back-seat comfort. If so, the seat delay might be a blessing in disguise!

They seem to be cranking cars out like crazy -- mine was only in production for 4 days and I was shocked when they told me when it'd be ready. There was a good-sized group of people there first thing Sunday morning signing forms and driving off in their new P85Ds, and the Tesla rep who took care of us said it's been a busy time for them. There were at least 10 cars waiting to be picked up when we got to the delivery center at 9AM, and from what my DS told me when setting up the appointment, they were doing deliveries all day long. So those of you who are still waiting for start of production might not be waiting much longer.

Picked up my P85D today!

Here are the results:

Great test adopter. Anyone know what the hit is for the staggered vs non staggered 21s?

Sayeth the Ghostbusters: "We got one!"

Got my beast, two days early! Guess the truck showed up this morning, and my wonderful DS (Great job, Tim!) in Chicago got it detailed and out to me late tonight.

The other garbage we do around the holidays kept me from driving it for the rest of the evening, but here are my summary points:

1. I did the launch best I could on back alley industrial neighborhood streets in Chicago. That meant a 0-45 rather than 0-60... but it comes through loud and clear. The roads were wet, and it STILL hugged the ground, like a good AWD. (I come from the Audi world, there was no such thing as no traction besides on black ice... where you could still accelerate, just not stop). The strength is everything promised... but what makes it "insane" is how effortless it is... no noise (a nice, peaceful "hum", like you hear in the launch day demo videos on YouTube) and the next thing you know, you are going WAY faster than you want to be.
2. Under normal conditions, the car handles like a dream. I was worried about it driving slow, but it is indeed possible, and it handles beautifully.
3. The screen is very high res now, makes the touchscreen look REALLY sharp.
4. Did you know the vent system comes with an air ionizer?! Damn. Awesome. That's a first AFAIK.
5. I am a seatgate victim front and back, and no heated steering wheel either. I will wait patiently, the "performance" seats are comfortable enough for a few months.
6. I've got the newest generation of rolling code garage door openers, and my first two attempts at programming it I managed to get the car to put the garage door in "learn mode" rather than learning the remote... but figured it out after a slightly different sequence of events.
7. Performance sound system is loud, crisp enough from Internet radio. Will get some FLAC samples of something and play it off USB for definition test.
8. I am #3 P85D from Chicago (not sure about Highland Park or Aurora stores). My DS says there is a cubic boatload just stacked up, and they will come flooding in shortly after Christmas- so those of you waiting at the edge of the 'hole, don't lose hope... you may get it well before you have to ask your accountant any questions about what year your car was "placed in service".
9. They do include a front license plate holder. It drills in (they said they would install it for me, free, when I got the plates from the SoS).
10. They said a license-plate mounted I-Pass (tollroad transponder for other states that don't know it by that name) is best, followed by taping (!) it behind the nose cone.

It is really a beautiful car. I get why some of you are frustrated, it isn't an inexpensive investment... but I think it is totally worth it so far. This last weekend was my last tank of gas I will ever have to buy (maybe once a year for my snowblower). :biggrin:

@EarlyAdopter, congratulations on your new D! The car looks AMAZING!!!

Are both of those cars the same MC Red? They look different but must be the lighting.

@koreth, congrats and what color seats did you order/get?

Thanks!

Yep, both identical MC Red. They looked the same sitting there next to each other, so it's a trick of the lighting or contrast with the wheels.

The black paint on my P85D really shines compared to the same paint on the 2013 P85. The exterior really pops. It's a beautiful vehicle.

My girlfriend accidentally beaned the passenger door on a piece of concrete in the Mission District on Saturday and there was no paint chip. I wouldn't be surprised if they're better paint and application methods than previous iterations.