Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm... Today My Tesla shows my car as "in production" still with a 2015-VIN!?

First non-north american car reported here I believe to be in production, but the timing is suprising I have to admit.

Edit: do I now "risk" getting a 2014-VIN?

My 2015-VIN car destined for Norway with a late February delivery went into production last night. It will probably not be finished until 2015, so I'm sure I will keep my 2015 VIN.

So we have 2 known D owners Kevin from LA area and our own Marc the best ! Btw, what were the other S parked next to yours at the delivery was it a Non D ??

So, once you see production complete, it does not say "shipping" or something like that on your dashboard once the car is on its way?

My 2015-VIN car destined for Norway with a late February delivery went into production last night. It will probably not be finished until 2015, so I'm sure I will keep my 2015 VIN.

My delivery changed from late February to March, not yet in production, guess Norway and Switzerland are the only direct delivery in Europe w/o reassembly in Tilburg ... have you guys the same colour? Grey here ...

Hope at least we get the heated steering wheel ...

Delivery yesterday at Devon (65007). Went smoothly....Thanks Bryan.

Impressions of the 'D' vs my P85+:
All this driving was done in 'sport' mode: (much of this has been said before)

Acceleration; Even in sport mode it is much quicker than the P85+

Handling: Very much like it is on rails; no 'bunny hop' in the back end with hard acceleration like the P85+ does at times; very balanced accelerating into or out of curves
Only dislike: Would like a little firmer 'feel' to steering wheel. It is akin to 'normal' vs 'sport' steering selections in the P85+

Braking: More regen braking evident; Regular brakes bite in quicker/harder

Fit/finish: Never had problems with my P85+ (Vin 10843) so this is just as good; Road noise does appear to be less though

energy use: Again using 'sport' mode: About 10% more than the P85+ on the route home from Devon, driving 'normally' (ie: no 0-60 launches)

stereo: My daughter is the audiophile in the house and she says it is vastly improved

Picked mine up 24 Dec in Decatur GA. Updated spreadsheet, sorry late post with holidays. I drove her back to Flordia 75 mph with spirited driving.
spirit.JPG
and one launch on the on ramp. Exhilarating to say the least.

My delivery changed from late February to March, not yet in production, guess Norway and Switzerland are the only direct delivery in Europe w/o reassembly in Tilburg ... have you guys the same colour? Grey here ...

Hope at least we get the heated steering wheel ...

MC red with black nextgen seats. I have ordered the cold weather package and expect to receive the heated steering wheel.

MC red with black nextgen seats. I have ordered the cold weather package and expect to receive the heated steering wheel.
Grey here with nextgen seats and cold weather package. Not expecting anpything in regards to a heated steering wheel at the moment. Most of my exitement has gone away in the last few days I'm afraid.

Still hoping, but not expecting anything.

Well, that's interesting.

I didn't have the benefit of a DS showing me this at delivery. I've read as much as I can here, and I read my manual. The manual gives instructions, and shows a diagram that is not in direct conflict with the above information, but is also not quite that specific with respect to the exact placement of your hands. The green areas in the diagram extend a pretty good distance inwards from "next to the lights", (and, in fact, don't extend out all the way to the lights) and does get pretty close to that center region you were instructed to avoid. (See attachment.) Granted, this is just the generic Model S manual, but if there are changes for the P85D, we should have a revised manual. I've noticed lots of little things that aren't exactly accurate as I've read through the manual, but this would be the first one that could cause a real problem if it results in our creasing our frunk hood.

View attachment 67203
The area I was instructed to use would be the farthest apart on those green areas.

Originally ordered an S85 and upgraded when P85D was announced (confirmed 10/28) entered production 11/27 finally completed production 12/28! Not sure if Brown color caused the extra delay (beyond what other initial production runs have experienced) or if my delay was because I told Tesla I wouldn't be able to pickup the car at the end of December due to traveling. Just happy to see the dashboard finally change.
That's great! Congrats!

I am glad you noticed it ... I've been waiting for years for the perfect occasion to wear this t-shirt :)

Yeah, I noticed the shirt as well... I want one. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Delivery yesterday at Devon (65007). Went smoothly....Thanks Bryan.

Impressions of the 'D' vs my P85+:
All this driving was done in 'sport' mode: (much of this has been said before)

Acceleration; Even in sport mode it is much quicker than the P85+

Handling: Very much like it is on rails; no 'bunny hop' in the back end with hard acceleration like the P85+ does at times; very balanced accelerating into or out of curves
Only dislike: Would like a little firmer 'feel' to steering wheel. It is akin to 'normal' vs 'sport' steering selections in the P85+

Braking: More regen braking evident; Regular brakes bite in quicker/harder

Fit/finish: Never had problems with my P85+ (Vin 10843) so this is just as good; Road noise does appear to be less though

energy use: Again using 'sport' mode: About 10% more than the P85+ on the route home from Devon, driving 'normally' (ie: no 0-60 launches)

stereo: My daughter is the audiophile in the house and she says it is vastly improved

Glad you got it, and early! :D

Do your friction brakes squeak at full stops? Mine seem to be getting worse. :-\

Do your friction brakes squeak at full stops? Mine seem to be getting worse. :-\

Have you tried bedding them?

- - - Updated - - -

If it is correct it would be nice if Tesla update the manual for the updated Frunk design. As it stands some DSs are showing one method, some are showing another, and some of us who are taking direct delivery are left to fend for ourselves, which means relying on the manual.

Elon Musk:
Any product that needs a manual to work is broken.

I'd add, any hood that needs a manual, special instruction, and a video demonstration, is broken. At least it's not as bad as the i8 hood :wink:

One quick refresh and BOOM! My car is finished Production! The positive vibes were the reason I'm sure!

@crazybrit take note...

Congratulations 3s! Just one day after mine. So now what? I think mine is still in CA, but cannot be sure. I had a discussion with my DS yesterday who was recommending the FOB Factory option. I told him to hold off on that decision until the end of the day, in case it got on a truck. Now I am not sure what is happening. I am leaving for two weeks on January 4th, so I may not see the car for a while. I may not get the tax break, I may have to wait until mid January to enjoy it, and it is a 2014 VIN. Sucks.

I really don't get the VIN Year issue. There are many model year 2015 ICE cars sold and delivered in late 2014. When they're later traded in 2017, say, it's a 2 model year difference, regardless whether they were placed in service in 2014. Likewise with Tesla. Even if you have a "2014" VIN, if you start using it in 2015, it's a 2015 model for later trade purposes. The future will tell for sure, but I think this is not as big a deal as is being claimed by some here.

I really don't get the VIN Year issue. There are many model year 2015 ICE cars sold and delivered in late 2014. When they're later traded in 2017, say, it's a 2 model year difference, regardless whether they were placed in service in 2014. Likewise with Tesla. Even if you have a "2014" VIN, if you start using it in 2015, it's a 2015 model for later trade purposes. The future will tell for sure, but I think this is not as big a deal as is being claimed by some here.

Seeing that Tesla doesn't use model years, I don't think you can just arbitrarily call it a 2015. Any discerning buyer would use the mfg year from the VIN, and if it's earlier than what you're claiming, you immediately come off as shady. Certainly would give me pause if I was considering purchasing your vehicle

Seeing that Tesla doesn't use model years, I don't think you can just arbitrarily call it a 2015. Any discerning buyer would use the mfg year from the VIN, and if it's earlier than what you're claiming, you immediately come off as shady. Certainly would give me pause if I was considering purchasing your vehicle

Nothing shady about it. If my car completes production on December 31 with a 2014 VIN, I take delivery on January 2, and offer it the next day, do I have a year old car or a 2 day old car? Any legitimate buyer would understand the difference, and the fact that Tesla doesn't have a model year makes the in service date all the more important.