Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, to help with the on-topic to off ratio:

My P85D was delivered 12/18 (and went straight to detail/paint correction/xpel ultimate).

Ordered (or tried to) the night of the P84D event (emailed that night to switch my order fromP85+)
Went into production 11/24, sometime in the first week of customer production I was told
Went from build to NVH testing around 12/6

At delivery. Hopefully the attachment scales reasonably.
IMG_0282.jpg

Well, to help with the on-topic to off ratio:

My P85D was delivered 12/18 (and went straight to detail/paint correction/xpel ultimate).

Ordered (or tried to) the night of the P84D event (emailed that night to switch my order fromP85+)
Went into production 11/24, sometime in the first week of customer production I was told
Went from build to NVH testing around 12/6

At delivery. Hopefully the attachment scales reasonably.
View attachment 67482

Well done! My P85+ was that color combo (except tan interior) and my P85D that I'm picking up on Wednesday is the same. Congrats.

I'm actually kind of curious who this 21 post, joined this month, forum troll actually is. Possibly a sock puppet account of some other member. Obviously not someone with a P85D or has ever been a party to the Tesla buying process and has no knowledge to go along with what they're attempting to argue.

For the record, after purchasing THREE Model S, my signature is on one single purchase-related piece of paper at Tesla (docusign stuff for service is not really part of this discussion), and that was accepting the trade-in value for my P85. Everything else was just accepted electronically, and is available for me to download and read, which I did. (Correction, related to the trade-in I signed a limited PoA for the title of the P85 also, so, two signatures)

The MVPA does not say "Autopilot Hardware" or "Autopilot Software." It says "Autopilot."

autopilot, n. a device for keeping [a vehicle] on a set course without the intervention of the pilot.

Pretty sure my car does not do that, yet. Therefore the update is owed by Tesla, under the law, under the terms of the MVPA.

I also welcome Tesla to provide the "specific repeatable test" that I can do to duplicate the numbers on the windows sticker (which is also binding under the law, by the way) so that I can independently verify the results.

Plus, I've never said I was unhappy with the car in general. The car is amazing, and I've said this multiple times around here as well as praise of some of the improvements made over my P85. The lack of efficiency is the only issue I have a real problem with, and it is an actual problem that regardless of what fanboys or forum trolls may think we as actual owners and drivers of the vehicle are allowed and not allowed to be displeased about.

The autopilot stuff is just another legal example, but we were all actually told and informed that it would take "several months" on the order page prior to ordering for these features to be available. This I agreed to, and I don't expect autopilot to work today or tomorrow. I do expect it to work as advertised within the next "several months" however. If it doesn't, then that will be a new problem.

Will they get it right eventually? Probably. Is it a problem now? Yes. Is anyone trying to make it seem like less of an issue helping anything? No.

Last edited:
Let's just have you tell all of us how we should feel about the cars we're buying. We'll all adopt your attitude. Sound good?

Yes, it does. Thank you. Will the whining stop now?

BTW, have you taken delivery of your P85D or are you just telling other people (from the sidelines) how they should feel about their purchase?

I'm happy with my P85, which keeps getting better and better. As will your P85D, unless you smash it up first because it makes you so mad.

It takes a lot of nerve for you to tell people how they should feel about what they were advertised, how much slack they should cut Tesla.

Yes, it does. It also takes a lot of nerve to whine endlessly about how your rich guy's toy doesn't quite measure up to how you think it should be and expect sympathy.

I think the request to get back on topic is quite reasonable. My apologies to all for letting myself get drawn into this silliness.

@ra-san the blue looked absolutely gorgeous in that light. Almost feeling jealous and regretting choosing grey:)

@Bet TSLA "rich guy toys" ? Did you seriously go there? Ah well, you just confirmed wk057 accusations a few posts above.

@mods Is there an ignore-funtion on this forum?

edit: found the ignore-function in profile-overview.

Last edited:
2) The range is less than the 242 listed on the window sticker. This is a whole different ball of wax. If the cars delivered to customers can't match what was on the window sticker then I think buyers have a complaint against Tesla. However, if Tesla resolves this proactively then I don't really think much will come of it.

I don't blame anyone for being disappointed by 1), but I'd be upset if my car has the issue described in 2).

Ive been messing around with this car for about 400miles with both shorter and medium sized trips. I can't see anyone getting 242 let alone much over 200 miles on a full range. Has anyone out there done anything that comes close?

I called Tesla HQ and they have never heard of the waiver. They are going to look into it further though. Does anybody actually have the waiver that they can email me?

Preilly44: Went through this convo not to long ago with the service centre. There is apparently a waiver which you can sign and then the centre can change whichever tires you've got. I'd suggest you contact HQ.

Hi everyone, after weeks of silently tracking this thread, I finally have something to contribute!

Picked up VIN 64845 at the Fremont factory today. Staff was very helpful and pleasant, though the gentleman assigned to do my walk-thru seemed to want to complete it as quickly as possible (really, bored already on a Mon at 9 am?). But he was nice enough...

Coming from an E36 M3, I'll echo the thoughts already posted here -- it's smooth and quiet, with on-rails handling and explosive acceleration.

Since I'm having my car detailed and coated later in the week, I signed the waiver to ensure that Tesla would not detail the car. Did a thorough walk-around with a high-power LED flashlight, and the paint quality was near-flawless -- no swirls or chips anywhere that I could see! Just a light coating of dust because they hadn't washed it. Here's a picture when I finally made it home safely -- whew, talk about nerve racking...

P85D-2.jpg

Saving the biggest surprise for last -- when I walked up to the car, I spied Tan NG seats front and back! I could hardly believe the good fortune:

P85D-1.jpg

When I tried a test-sit in the back seats, I noticed that the side bolsters are very subtle (as compared to the front, which fit snugly and wonderfully). From the pictures on the website I had been expecting these protruding triangles, so as an FYI, the side support in back is minimal. Not a concern for me but thought I'd pass that along.

In short, I'm very pleased!

-- David

Hi everyone, after weeks of silently tracking this thread, I finally have something to contribute!

Picked up VIN 64845 at the Fremont factory today. Staff was very helpful and pleasant, though the gentleman assigned to do my walk-thru seemed to want to complete it as quickly as possible (really, bored already on a Mon at 9 am?). But he was nice enough...

Coming from an E36 M3, I'll echo the thoughts already posted here -- it's smooth and quiet, with on-rails handling and explosive acceleration.

Since I'm having my car detailed and coated later in the week, I signed the waiver to ensure that Tesla would not detail the car. Did a thorough walk-around with a high-power LED flashlight, and the paint quality was near-flawless -- no swirls or chips anywhere that I could see! Just a light coating of dust because they hadn't washed it. Here's a picture when I finally made it home safely -- whew, talk about nerve racking...

View attachment 67493

Saving the biggest surprise for last -- when I walked up to the car, I spied Tan NG seats front and back! I could hardly believe the good fortune:

View attachment 67494

When I tried a test-sit in the back seats, I noticed that the side bolsters are very subtle (as compared to the front, which fit snugly and wonderfully). From the pictures on the website I had been expecting these protruding triangles, so as an FYI, the side support in back is minimal. Not a concern for me but thought I'd pass that along.

-- David
Ooh, that was interesting! More photos of the seats? Getting the black ones myself, but those look smoking:)

View attachment 67493

View attachment 67494

-- David

Congrats! I'm picking up Wednesday and ordered tan NG seats but am getting the old ones for now :(

First pic of the tan NG that I've seen though and they look great!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but those back seats are not next-gen.
The easiest to spot difference is the horizontal fold in the middle.
Compare and contrast:
attachment.php?attachmentid=66302&d=1418879261.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=67494&d=1419896981.jpg

My DS found a transport truck, so the car is currently making its way from Vancouver to Edmonton. Hope to have it sometime tomorrow. The excitement builds...
Great News!! So happy for you. Please send pics to hold me over for another week. LOVE the red/black combo - if it weren't that I was going to be using this to drive clients around, I would have gone with that combo for sure. I went into production the day you finished.

- - - Updated - - -

You're right Sceptic, thanks! They're pretty nice, though, and didn't notice any visibility probs out the back -- wonder if I should keep them and what the credit for a split set might be?
They look great front and back. I agree with perhaps leaving the back seats for a credit. The front in Next Gen look amazing!

So many threads, so, not sure the most appropriate place to post this anymore.

Got a brief response from Jerome regarding efficiency. It was somewhat along the lines of what another poster received. He offered to check out logs from my car and basically said that EPA testing is done on tires with at least 3000 miles.