Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday at 4:00pm I pick up my late Christmas present - but on-time tax deduction! P65265 went into production on 11/27/14 with a delivery date changed from December to late December. I feel very confident that the P85D will meet my expectations, from what very little time I have had in the dry. Denver weather today has a high of about 2 and snow about everywhere. The one thing I can reiterate from this thread is that the traction control is incredible. There is no breaking the laws of physics, particularly when it come time to stop, but the get up and go is unmatched by anything else I have driven. Denver folks - the service center is packed with cars... guessing about 30 or so. Just waiting for the warmer weather coming next week! (No performance seats front or rear - they are thinking "about a month".)

After lurking on this forum for over a month, I finally have something to share. Took delivery yesterday of my P85D #66809, at the Seattle service center. Less than 24 hours with my first Tesla but so much fun.

I had always admired Teslas and appreciated the enthusiasm of a neighbor with an early Model S. AWD was important to me (having owned A6s and an A8) so I never considered one for myself. So everything changed when the D was announced. A few weeks later I found myself at a client meeting across the street from a showroom, and wandered in to check it out. I was impressed enough to set up a test drive, which was of course amazing for a first-timer. I hedged a bit though—could I deal with range anxiety? Would the wait drive me crazy? How would I get a 240V circuit to my detached garage from my 100-year old home anyway? All those things were on my mind when I spotted a nearly-new 2014 S8 at a good price near my home. The S8 is a great car, one of the best ICEs on the planet, but is ultimately predictable, and a little boring compared to the MS. I shared my thoughts with the Audi salesman who ultimately said, “Dude get the Tesla, they are so f****** cool.” Done.

So time to order. They discontinued the green while I was checking out the Audi (bad) but also made Alcanterra standard instead of extra-cost (good). I went back and forth on the premium interior (really $4k?) and dual chargers (would likely never use—no HPWC in my garage without a serious electrical upgrade). Ultimately decided against both and ordered the pano roof, upgraded sound, tech package, and spoiler. Seattle has way too many potholes for 21” wheels so I went with the 19” cyclones.

Then the wait and obsessively reading this forum for a month. Most of you have been there. I felt the pain of the black-holers, while my DS kept assuring me that production would begin the week of 12/15 with delivery still on track by year-end. With all the issues with seats, Monroney stickers, and everything else, this seemed impossible.

But it wasn’t. Production began on 12/16 and was complete on 12/20. I had a call from the DS asking me to take early delivery before MyTesla had even updated. We settled on a date that was later pushed back due to trucking difficulties, but still, I had a custom-built supercar in my possession 33 days after I ordered it.

Delivery was unremarkable. I was a few minutes late so maybe that’s why they assigned me the JV backup assistant DS, but he knew less than I did about many of the car’s features and rushed through everything. The varsity DS got involved to bail him out and that was better. They were incredibly busy so I’ll cut them some slack but it was not the white-glove experience others have reported.

So the fun part. I know many of you are on your 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] MS, but this my first so allow me to gush a little bit about things that you probably take for granted. The silence, the touch screen, the configurable dashboard, the full-time internet connection, one-foot driving: all amazing. And in case you haven’t heard, the acceleration from a standing start is quite good. Something about a g-force blast causes physiological changes that include cheek muscle fatigue, screaming of bad words, laughter, and joy. It is remarkable, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. The highlight of the evening was back-to-back hole shots with my 13-year-old son and 3 of his friends—they may still be giggling somewhere. I could sell tickets to this thing.

Other pleasant surprises included the interior. Gray seats (no Next Gen) and black headliner look sharp. I was worried it might be too dark but it’s not. Also I expected 3G to suck but it’s fine so far for navigation and internet radio, even with only a bar or two of service. The frunk was bigger than I expected and is quite useable. The sound system is impressive to this non-audiophile. One nit: there is no coat hanger in the passenger compartment, an odd Yugo-esque omission.

I’m still firmly in the honeymoon phase with my new toy--volunteering for errands and taking the long way home—but we’re off to a great start. Thanks to all forum members who helped make my wait bearable and provided such tremendous expertise. And happy New Year.

On the strength of the post today from JB, I have decided to go ahead with my scheduled delivery today at 4pm (talk about just in the nick of time). While I am
still at the mercy of a future delivery from Tesla for range (and seats) at least they have now made very firm public commitments for both. Looking forward to enjoying the car
with much less worrying !

Picked up car. Drove car (moderately hard, its raining here). Many grins. Many Wh/mile. Car now happily tucked into garage gaining charge for the next romp. Hoping for
clear weather tomorrow! This beats the hell out of waiting and worrying. I do hope they make good on the range benefit of "motor sleep mode" ... while my mission profile
is a short commute and local pleasure driving, once the wife gets used to the comfort, quiet, ride, etc in the MS our previous strategy of using the Lexus (a *very* nice ICE
car) for longer trips may be revisited ...

Step hane,

When did you get your "production complete status? Your car may arrive even sooner than mine.

I'd be surprised.
I've been "Production Complete" for some 10 days or thereabout, but when i last managed to get a hold of my DS, on the 27th, he said my car was still in California and that he would let me know as soon as it was on a truck or train...
No communication since.

Picked ours up today and just drove it back home in sport mode. Mine has the standard seats which are very comfortable for me and my wife. Will try out insane mode tomorrow. Nice to have gotten it before the end of the year. Folks at Tesla were great but it will take some time to really learn all the car has to offer. Our car has the standard roof and I'm tall at 6'6" and found that the head room in front and back to be fine with the taller headrests. With the shorter headrests my head would hit the roof if I leaned back even with the pano roof.

Congrats. I got mine powder coated and like the look of them much better.

+1 for powdercoating the 19" cyclones. Mine came out a great and I have no regrets not going for the 21s.

attachment.php?attachmentid=67127&d=1419644069.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=67132&d=1419644071.jpg

I picked up my grey P85D yesterday in Rockville (late afternoon). Four days ahead of schedule. The team and my DS did a great job with everything... loved it. I also met the owner of the brown car pictured in Andrew's photos. Great guy, I don't think he is on these forums. It is his second (first was P85+ and has an X on order). Sharp looking car with 21" wheels, tan interior and a black headliner. Didn't pick the red calipers as he "wanted to keep it low key"... :)

Funny thing, there was another brown car there for pickup also for another customer.

My quick review:

I really, really like my new Tesla (first). (It's been raining here in DC so no dry pavement.) I took a friend out today and punched it in Insane mode... He laughed out loud and said it felt like a carnival ride. I did not get the NG seats I ordered but do find the standard ones very nice. I'm going to the Tysons store in the next 30 days to check out the NG seats... may keep the current ones but am inclined to have the new ones installed once they are available.

As a matter of reference, my old car was a 2013 MB S550 on lease that finished in October. Really nice car also. But I'm so happy I made the leap (and a little leap in faith) for the P85D. It's just fun to drive a more sporty car, love the tech and it just looks great. And I have that "no gas" thing going for me... which is nice.

I'm a real music lover and the stereo in the S550 was stunning. The Tesla's upgraded stereo is very good. Not stunning but very good... Boy I wish they had a shuffle mode and would display album art in folder playback mode. With all that screen real estate it would be really nice. I've worked up a simple compromise that I'll post separately on an easy way to shuffle music on a flash drive but it's still more work than it needs to be. If Reus is available in the DC area again I'd probably upgrade... But I did find a thread that suggested some tunings which really made a positive difference in the sound. Basically: "1) Turn off Dolby. 2) Fade to the rear to -11. 3) Turn Bass up to +2. 4)Turn Midrange down to -3. 5) Leave Treble at +0. 6. Enjoy." Made a big difference in the sound stage.

I can't wait to get the rest of the autopilot features. I test drove the new MB S and it's ACC and lane departure systems were amazing. Flawless... (at least in my limited test drive). It will greatly enhance the car on long trips or heavy commute traffic. So glad the Tesla is software upgradeable.

My last purchase will most likely be the center console. I like the openness of the non-console design (and mine came with a yacht floor) but could use a little better cupholder and storage. We'll see...

Here's hoping that everyone's Tesla gets there delivery when promised and that your experience was as terrific as mine!

+1 for powdercoating the 19" cyclones. Mine came out a great and I have no regrets not going for the 21s.

attachment.php?attachmentid=67127&d=1419644069.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=67132&d=1419644071.jpg
Those look GREAT! In hindsight I should have ordered those as my winter set but I didn't know as they weren't offered on the configurator. Only the standard (5-spoke?) option was there.