Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. My car finished production almost two weeks ago but has not made it to the Toronto service centre for delivery yet. No firm ETA - it's just sitting at the border as it has for days, awaiting transport. It could move today, or next week. No one knows.

The buying experience has been poor for me, and a couple folks interested in ordering a Tesla who were following my purchase have written off buying one for now, saying Tesla doesn't have their confidence for such a large purchase.

"I keep expecting to see that Tesla in your driveway! Didn't you order that in October?"

"Yes"

"I thought it was coming before Christmas?"

"Me too"

"What's the hold up?"

"I don't know. I heard rumours about seat issues, about QC issues, but I haven't heard anything official. My delivery date just keeps getting pushed back."

"Wow. That sucks. Hope it comes soon! Hmmmm?"

I have this conversation every couple days. LOL

Their confidence will be back the first time you go around the block with them in the car. It's easy to fret about delivery timing, but shlt happens when a company moves as fast as Tesla. You have the added hurdle of being in Canada when the car is built in the USA. There are plenty of inferior cars your friends can buy that are sitting on lots right now, although a good friend would discourage them from doing so.

Their confidence will be back the first time you go around the block with them in the car. It's easy to fret about delivery timing, but shlt happens when a company moves as fast as Tesla. You have the added hurdle of being in Canada when the car is built in the USA. There are plenty of inferior cars your friends can buy that are sitting on lots right now, although a good friend would discourage them from doing so.

As great as the car is/may be, Tesla's communication is sub-par. Poor communication isn't a given in a fast-moving company, and I won't give them that excuse.

A few years ago I bought a vehicle that was twice the cost of a Tesla. A few months into ownership, we had an electrical fire while driving, with my kids in the car. Within an hour the president of the company called me personally, extended a promise to cover any costs outside of insurance coverage, and then followed up a few days later to see how we were doing. The cause of the fire was poor QC. When it came time to replace the vehicle, we chose the same company because their communications through the whole ordeal was amazing. I knew I could count on their word, and they made it as easy as possible. My point is that communication is key to having satisfied customers. You may have a terrific product but if the communication is poor, it's a mark on them. Explain why a problem happened transparently, and keep the customer in the loop, and many things can be forgiven, and a customer can regain confidence in that company.

Last edited:
Congrats!! Would you mind to post some interior pics? I have ordered a P85D for my wife with the same interior config (tan, black headliner, glossy obeche) but with pearl white outside ...

Some additional pics of blue under light and tan next gen seats, black headliner, obeche gloss.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420232316.346108.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420232332.603456.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420232348.275448.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420232368.068898.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420232380.642969.jpg
709e6f287868648fe68c31e352d8bfa8.jpg

As great as the car is/may be, Tesla's communication is sub-par.... A few years ago I bought a vehicle that was twice the cost of a Tesla. A few months into ownership, we had an electrical fire while driving, with my kids in the car.... When it came time to replace the vehicle, we chose the same company because their communications through the whole ordeal was amazing.

In a similar situation I'd prefer a company that made cars that didn't have fires, regardless of communication approaches or decisions. Yes, good communications is part of good customer service, but right now Tesla is making a choice between assigning people to get cars to their customers or talk to their customers. I respect their choice to prioritize using their people to get cars out the door. I agree with them that right now that's the best use of their time.

As time permits, I absolutely agree that better communication as one aspect of better customer service is important. I'm quite impressed by many other aspects of Tesla's customer service, but not all.

Of course it was just part of the decision, but the communication and transparency let us have confidence that the mistake was a one-off, and not to be repeated. They had us meet with engineers, and showed us the technology that would prevent a similar mistake. Excellent communication was a crucial part of how we were dealt with, and it allowed us to regain our trust (along with tangible evidence of the problem being eradicated in the future.) Without such excellent communication we could not have done that.

Without having intimate knowledge of their staffing, I can only offer an opinion that the staff that handles communication and the staff that handles delivery logistics are likely not the same people, or people possessing the same skill set. I don't really believe folks have been seconded to delivery duties from corporate communications. I think that communications are just not a very robust priority for Tesla right now. And to their detriment, in my opinion. I certainly am not the only one who has offered this opinion.

i had similar agonizing about color changes. I love all the colors and the dark grey was a close second - love the red and whites in all the pics but ultimately I went with the blue again too. Your pics definitely remind me why I made the decision. Great lighting for the chameleon affect too.

Thanks, makes me feel better about my decision :) I posted more pics elsewhere in the thread under more direct light as well.

Hi all, When I cancelled and reordered I noticed that the base price on my dashboard now includes the dual-motors and performance option -- so it's jumped from ~$70k to around $100k. That makes a difference in the licensing and insurance costs. I'm curious how the invoices look for those of you who've taken delivery.
Hi
my original configuration had the base price as about 74K (Cad) and then 25K for Performance model and 15K for the dual motor option. In my new configuration, all of these prices are rolled up into one base price called: 85kWh Performance Model S.
As my paperwork was essentially complete for my first car, I checked that paperwork and it appears it was broken out as $114,800 base vehicle price and 27,200 optional extras.

Hi my original configuration had the base price as about 74K (Cad) and then 25K for Performance model and 15K for the dual motor option. In my new configuration, all of these prices are rolled up into one base price called: 85kWh Performance Model S. As my paperwork was essentially complete for my first car, I checked that paperwork and it appears it was broken out as $114,800 base vehicle price and 27,200 optional extras.
Yep. I talked to the folks at Tesla HQ and got a great answer. a) the base price is now all lumped together, b) this is a Good Thing because it means that your insurance covers the whole car. So when I get in a crash and total the car, insurance will pay for a P85D, rather than something considerably less than that. So I've calmed down...

Yep. I talked to the folks at Tesla HQ and got a great answer. a) the base price is now all lumped together, b) this is a Good Thing because it means that your insurance covers the whole car. So when I get in a crash and total the car, insurance will pay for a P85D, rather than something considerably less than that. So I've calmed down...
Wow you're really planning on putting the car through its paces- planning for a write off. guess you just need the car now.