Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did everyone who took delivery lately get the Tesla license plates holders? I just noticed my car has the "Emission Free" plate screwed directly onto the metal.

No license plate holders here, either, nor any other Tesla swag: that stuff must be up to the individual service center's discretion. All I got was a thoroughly competent snow car (we haven't seen dry pavement since I took delivery), even though it's still on the OEM Michelin Primacy all-season tires. Everything people have been saying about the excellent handling, ride and reduced noise level in the cabin is correct. Insane launches will have to wait...

Well, I've tried a couple of launches in Insane mode, but with subzero temps and mixed slush/snow/slop on the roads, even the D's excellent AWD traction control can't suspend the laws of physics.
I was promised it could suspend the laws of physics...?! :)

I'm in the same boat... when my car arrives there will be a foot of snow on the ground and likely I will not be able to launch for weeks.

Did everyone who took delivery lately get the Tesla license plates holders? I just noticed my car has the "Emission Free" plate screwed directly onto the metal. I like the Tesla bezel, little frustrated to notice it is MIA. Seeing most of the cars here have it nudges my opinion of the Minneapolis service center down one more notch...

They stopped installing them in MN because they are illegal (hide the tabs). Don't worry spv6, you will learn to love the Minneapolis team as you work with them more. There is nothing they won't do for you (within reason of course!).

Posted this on the black hole thread as well:

Just to bring this full circle.

I took delivery of my D this afternoon, my DS opened up the store for me on his day off. Super amazing guy and has been throughout this process.

I got the next gen seats in front, futuris in back, but as I'd expected no heated wheel nor yatch floor.

The car is awesome, but we know that already. I've got the 19's wrapped in Nokian R2s as my winter setup, compared to the test drives with the 21s, the 19s feel really floaty. Ofcourse I've got to factor in the huge difference in weather conditions as well as the state of the tires (brand spankin' new vs worn in).

Updated the spread sheet as well.

Complete thread lurker - got my P85D on 30 Dec at Fremont that was ordered mid Nov with a so so delivery experience, but the black next gen seats front and rear helped.
Terrific car, about 500 miles with 380 wHrs/mi with mixed driving.

Reason for posting is this seemingly pending delivery seen at the Hawthorne supercharger today:
image1.JPG
image3.JPG
image4.JPG

Identical to my car, except for the back seats that were split with a center console (no pics).

Also saw this which also had two seats in the rear with a center console:

image2.JPG

Complete thread lurker - got my P85D on 30 Dec at Fremont that was ordered mid Nov with a so so delivery experience, but the black next gen seats front and rear helped.

Reason for posting is this seemingly pending delivery seen at the Hawthorne supercharger today:
View attachment 68133
Identical to my car, except for the back seats that were split with a center console (no pics).

Also saw this which also had two seats in the rear with a center console:

View attachment 68134

Oh oh, more options that we don't have in our newly delivered P85Ds that will surely create a whole new feeding frenzy on the forums! :wink:

Congratulations on the new P85D. I picked mine up on the same day in Chicago and could not be happier.

@faughtz, you saw a Model S with rear seats that had a centre console and you didn't take any pics???!!!

I'd definitely like to see the rear center console... Anyone near Hawthorne who can go snap some interior pics?

- - - Updated - - -

I can't imagine any combination that wouldn't look good on this car. I'm particularly a fan of how simple the Tesla interior is. In looking at many other cars over the previous couple of years, I was surprised with how few interiors I really liked. Admittedly it can be a case of style over function - a few more storage bits might help but aesthetically I love this interior, whatever finish or colors.

I'm pleased for the most part with the selection options, but really wish Tesla would offer gloss carbon fiber trim in the Model S like they did in the Roadster.

Wow, bad time to be getting the jitters about your color combo :smile:
i think it's a great combo, I was surprised how many other people had the black. For me, I seem to have conservative tastes and I'm also a bit OCD about dirt on light surfaces. I had light colored seats on a previous car and I found that it gained a bluish tinge from my jeans which was hard to remove (I wear jeans a lot). I also have found that it was easy to get dirt on light colored headliners so I've now got the black headliner even though I know my car will look very dark.

I had ordered the white alcantra headliner in my otherwise all black P85D. I changed it to a black headliner today after noticing the picture in the gallery that showed a big black bar running through the middle of the pano roof even with the white headliner.

I had ordered the white alcantra headliner in my otherwise all black P85D. I changed it to a black headliner today after noticing the picture in the gallery that showed a big black bar running through the middle of the pano roof even with the white headliner.

I've ordered the white headliner too and would be disappointed if there were a black bar in the middle. Are you sure these images are not taken from an old car? As I understand it the alcantara headliner also wraps the middle bar. When clicking "View design" on "My Tesla" page the images show no black bar.

Another thread on these cars here: First S85D sighting

Check with Tesla but I believe that when you order the white/cream Alcantara headliner the middle bar is covered. When you order the cloth headliner the bar is black plastic. I believe it shows this in the Design Centre as well if you toggle between the two you will see it.

The current white alcantara headliner has the middle bar wrapped. White textile has the bar naked with black plastic.

When I got my early 2014 P85 the white alcantara headliner (at the time default on Performance) had the middle bar in black plastic.

I got into my P85D at 9am this morning to drive it to Tesla Burlingame after last night's warning light came on but it was completely dead. Roadside assistance sent Cal Towing to help. We jump started the battery and it eventually powered on with the front-motor warning still there. We tried to put it into neutral or raise the suspension but it also warned that the 12v battery had lost power and so the vehicle would be unsafe to drive. We managed to get it into tow mode before the car died again, this time for good.

Most disconcerting to me is that the 12V battery failed on this P85D. The 12V failed twice on my P85 and it's the only component that could lead to a catastrophic failure because it operates the drive computer. Thankfully in all cases so far, my vehicle was stationary in my garage when the failure started and I hope that they are able to substantially improve the quality of this component.

Owning a Tesla is a bit of a challenge at times, but after driving the BMW loaner car to my office today, I just can't imagine going back to a typical luxury ICE vehicle with their antiquated interiors. I hope the reliability improves and I am confident that it will and until my faith dies, I'll hang on to the car. I'll also point out that I had 2 Audis completely die on me -- one leading to a fire, and another to a total shutdown of the engine while turning into oncoming traffic.

I shot an email to elonmuskoffice@ with a picture of the dead P85D and I'm hoping that Mr Musk will pay attention to the quality problems of the sedans. I'm looking forward to when the car is repaired because it's just so fun to drive and is a huge huge improvement over my P85.

Fingers crossed that the rest of your deliveries go well.

How did this turn out? I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything, other than a post in which you wrote that you were still very positive about the car, etc. Just wondering what the problem turned out to be, what Tesla had to do to rectify it, and how long it took for you to get your P85D back, assuming you have it back by now.

Thanks!