Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, so you would give up possibly several months of driving and enjoying the car just because you don't particularly like the seats? I can't imagine. So you are almost completely delighted, but that's worth not having anything at all? I'm not questioning that you have that mindset, and you certainly have the right to be that way, but I can't imagine it results in much happiness.

Another reason I'm not in retail. If I were dealing with a customer with that attitude I'd give him his money back and refuse to to business with him in the future. I guess I have less patience with people.
Really?

Did you even read the part about the new seats being my main reason for ordering this particular model? Or that Tesla on two separate occasions confirmed I would be getting the correct seats _prior_ to delivery?

Blaming the customer parting with more than 130K USD of his hard earned money seems wildly unfair to me.

Really?

Did you even read the part about the new seats being my main reason for ordering this particular model? Or that Tesla on two separate occasions confirmed I would be getting the correct seats _prior_ to delivery?

Blaming the customer parting with more than 130K USD of his hard earned money seems wildly unfair to me.

Well, some of that I saw after my reply. No, I wouldn't blame you. I just wouldn't do business with you. Life's too short to try to make people happy who don't want to be happy. If "unfair" and not perfect ruin your day, you're going to have an awful lot of ruined days.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand the people who are upset that they paid for something they didn't get. I, personally, would focus on the positive... I can't wait to get my car... regardless which seats are installed.

Agreed. And if I thought I wasn't going to get something I paid for then I'd be upset too. But in this case it seems to me that if you trust Tesla at all then you should understand that you will get what you paid for, just not right away. And they'll do other things to try to make you extra happy. Not being okay with that is what I don't understand. If you don't trust Tesla, at least that much, why would you buy their car?

I read that part, but didn't take seriously that you would pay $30K+ extra to get certain seats.
Emphasis on _main_ reason ;) Not the only reason of course. But the seats more than sealed the deal for me since they were at the time and still aren't available on the standard D. I really disliked the old standard seats. The 1.5 seats are better but still not worthy of such a car at least not for me.

Personal reasoning might not make sense to everyone, but that doesn't make it not valid for the person in question. For me seats is a very vital part of a car since I am a tall guy with a bad back at times. The old seats were one of several reasons I did not end up purchasing my initial reservation from 2012.

I will live through this, and I have no doubt Tesla will fix it somehow. BUT it is still extremely disappointing being the only one in the delivery center not getting what I actually paid for. Especially since I inquired about this topic specifically both by phone to the Norwegian service desk and afterwards via my DS when I finally got a hold of him. Both times getting a clear confirmation in return that oh yes I would be receiving the nextgen seats.

This is one hell of an expensive toy and its missing one of the most fun parts.

Edit: getting a bit off topic here so I have no real interest in discussing my reasoning or "feelings" here any further;) I will post whatever turns out happening in the end though. Jerome has replied that he will "investigate"....

Last edited:
Emphasis on _main_ reason ;) Not the only reason of course. But the seats more than sealed the deal for me since they were at the time and still aren't available on the standard D. I really disliked the old standard seats. The 1.5 seats are better but still not worthy of such a car at least not for me.

This is one hell of an expensive toy and its missing one of the most fun parts.

Well, then, I'm REALLLLLLY glad you didn't "just miss" getting auto-pilot sensors.

Well, then, I'm REALLLLLLY glad you didn't "just miss" getting auto-pilot sensors.
I am fine with not getting items I didn't order or pay for. Missing convenience features such as parking sensors, ACC and foldable mirrors were some of the other reasons I didnt follow through with my original reservation... There is a reason why I jumped on the D-wagon;) almost my entire check-list got "fixed" overnight. AWD being the biggest feature I missed. HUD and overhead parking view is the only known features I think should have been there to make it perfect, but I can live fine without those.

Got my P85D in Drammen Norway this Wednesday.

My background is riding 200bhp R-bikes on road/track, tuning and owning sportscars (not supercars) and I consider myself quite the petrolhead and hobby mechanic. Being ambivalent to electric vehicles I´ve been wondering what I was doing, ordering a 100% electrical vehicle!?!

To make a long story short:

The P85D is the ****!

In snow, cold&wet tarmac, twisty roads.. it just rips!

Highway speeds, no problem, but above 70mph the power drops significantly compared to sub 60mph.
Keep it below 60mph and you´re proppelled instantly from where you are you to where you were just looking.

Can´t wait to get back into the car! Work hours is torture.

Last edited:
It's alive! I mean.... just took delivery, yesterday!!! :biggrin:

Won't bore you with details, everyone here has probably heard how awesome this car is way too many times already. Just one thing to note, the High Fidelity Audio is way better than I expected or remembered from my test drives, those who say it's not up to par really must be audiophiles. For me, pumping my Electronic and Hip Hop tunes, it's just outstanding.

As for the negatives, a part of me wishes I would've ordered the Premium Interior once the price dropped, $4,500 was insane, but I think $3,500 may be worth it, there's a lot of synthetic leather in the car. I read a post once which mentioned that Tesla owners rarely wish they would've left an option out, it's usually the other way around, very true.

With that said, I am trilled with my car and love, love, love it!!!

11043313_794309940618108_5027459415903162227_o.jpg

Won't bore you with details, everyone here has probably heard how awesome this car is way too many times already. Just one thing to note, the High Fidelity Audio is way better than I expected or remembered from my test drives, those who say it's not up to par really must be audiophiles. For me, pumping my Electronic and Hip Hop tunes, it's just outstanding.

As for the negatives, a part of me wishes I would've ordered the Premium Interior once the price dropped, $4,500 was insane, but I think $3,500 may be worth it, there's a lot of synthetic leather in the car. I read a post once which mentioned that Tesla owners rarely wish they would've left an option out, it's usually the other way around, very true.

View attachment 73756

Congrats!! I'm wishing my delivery date would come here sooner. What other packages did you end up going for?

View attachment 73756

Congrats! I agree the premium sound rocks IMO.

Congrats!! I'm wishing my delivery date would come here sooner. What other packages did you end up going for?

I got next gen seats, suspension, tech, pano and spoiler. I think that's all. Configured with pearl white, black alcantara and gray leather.

BTW, I almost picked blue, but i love my pearl white, words can't explain how beautiful that color is. It's really like the car is made of pearls, pretty awesome for sure.

I took delivery of my P85D on Friday and to say that I am delighted is an understatement. As others have said, the hardware advances and improvements in fit and finish since I purchased my Signature 2 1/2 years ago are impressive. Once you get behind the wheel that is overshadowed by the supercar levels of performance and handling of the P85D. The use of AWD to overcome the understeer inherent in a 2 1/2 ton sedan is uncanny.

Please let me explain about the custom color. My request was approved in late December just before Tesla decided to end the program. My assumption is that doing custom painting was slowing production, although I never got confirmation of that from Tesla. Hopefully when the new paint shop comes online later this year Tesla will decide to offer some form of custom paint. In the meantime I feel really lucky to have this car.

P85D%20HQ%20Front_zps8gzcpsq6.jpg

P85D%20HQ%20Side_zpsugtgk4lv.jpg

P85D%20HQ%20Rear_zpsdbba5vjv.jpg

Please let me explain about the custom color. My request was approved in late December just before Tesla decided to end the program. My assumption is that doing custom painting was slowing production, although I never got confirmation of that from Tesla. Hopefully when the new paint shop comes online later this year Tesla will decide to offer some form of custom paint. In the meantime I feel really lucky to have this car.

Congrats on the color. Been excited to see your car delivered for a while now.

I took delivery of my P85D on Friday and to say that I am delighted is an understatement. ...Please let me explain about the custom color.

Congratulations!

What do you call that color? It's an interesting brown.

Just wondering how things work with custom colors if you need a part replaced under warranty. For example, let's say there's something wrong with the side mirrors, and Tesla needs to replace one or both of them. How would that be handled?

Congratulations!

What do you call that color? It's an interesting brown.

Just wondering how things work with custom colors if you need a part replaced under warranty. For example, let's say there's something wrong with the side mirrors, and Tesla needs to replace one or both of them. How would that be handled?

The color is called Terracuda Pearl. It looks brown in the shade and golden bronze in the sun (a little more gold and less orange than these pictures.) The paint was developed by hot rodder Chip Foose as part of a line of 24 custom colors he did in partnership with BASF automotive finishes.

If anything needs to be replaced it would have to be painted by a body shop. Let's hope that doesn't need to happen!

The color is called Terracuda Pearl. It looks brown in the shade and golden bronze in the sun (a little more gold and less orange than these pictures.) The paint was developed by hot rodder Chip Foose as part of a line of 24 custom colors he did in partnership with BASF automotive finishes.

If anything needs to be replaced it would have to be painted by a body shop. Let's hope that doesn't need to happen!

Very interesting!

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, I hope for your sake you avoid seeing anyone at a body shop!