Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D Next Generation Seats Delivery Thread

P85D Next Gen Seat Retrofits

• Keep what I got - Non Next Gen Front + Rear - I want the $2k credit

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Keep what I got - Next Gen Front + Non Next Gen Rear

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Get the Next Gen Seats Front + Rear

Votes: 75 82.4%
  • Get the Next Gen Seats Front - Keep Non Next Gen Rears

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the call yesterday ... my NG seats are scheduled to be installed here in Tampa on 5/12. I guess in this case the letter from Tesla (promising May) was accurate communication !

Happy to be at this point at last !

Got mine in today (didn't get to watch him do the work in my garage as I was away, but he mentioned it wasn't the easiest thing). Tech confirmed with me that I needed/expected both front and back. He did mention that they contacted a few owners to schedule installs, only to have the owners tell them they already had nextgen seats, so either Tesla has some holes in their record keeping of this issue (no surprise if so) or the owners thought the seats they have are NG when they in fact aren't. That wouldn't surprise me in some cases, and would be rather unfortunate if ever the case.

He did mention that they contacted a few owners to schedule installs, only to have the owners tell them they already had nextgen seats, so either Tesla has some holes in their record keeping of this issue (no surprise if so) or the owners thought the seats they have are NG when they in fact aren't. That wouldn't surprise me in some cases, and would be rather unfortunate if ever the case.

I'd really like to see Tesla asking owners that they thought needed Next Gen seats who think they already have them installed to take a quick picture and send it to Tesla for confirmation. You're correct that it could be a big and expensive mistake these customers are making, and I think Tesla owes them this extra bit of due diligence, since it was Tesla that caused the issue in the first place.

Finally... my car is complete! Ordered October 10th, Delivered January 27th, Seats May 6th (almost 7 months after ordering and a little over 3 months after delivery). No complaints as I LOVE my car and really love the new seats but it would have been nice to have the seats all the while. Still the best car I've ever owned by a long shot. :)

I heard today that my seats should reach the service center soon, and that I can schedule the installation for any time after June 15. I took delivery on December 24, so it will have been almost six months without my next gen seats. I'm not particularly bothered by this, though it would be nice if Tesla did a little something for those of us who had to wait.

Andy, did they call you or did you call them? I haven't heard anything and we were on the same time schedule for delivery.

I was corresponding with a service coordinator about the service I had received recently. The car had been in for the wind-noise TSB and to get my wheels changed over from the winter tires to the all-seasons at the same time. During that e-mail exchange I was informed that my seats were due in, and I could schedule the service for June 15 or later.

I was corresponding with a service coordinator about the service I had received recently. The car had been in for the wind-noise TSB and to get my wheels changed over from the winter tires to the all-seasons at the same time. During that e-mail exchange I was informed that my seats were due in, and I could schedule the service for June 15 or later.

OK, thanks. I assume my will be in "soon" as well. Good luck to you!

I heard today that my seats should reach the service center soon, and that I can schedule the installation for any time after June 15. I took delivery on December 24, so it will have been almost six months without my next gen seats. I'm not particularly bothered by this, though it would be nice if Tesla did a little something for those of us who had to wait.
Wow, a free of charge upgrade to your car. Oh wait, you had to pay for that before delivery? Ouch.
Hey, I'm getting a brand spanking new front motor, soon...
To stay a little more on topic... be careful when they install the seats, mine were misinstalled by the factory and where chafing the center armrest, additionally two of the fasteners weren't tightened correctly leading to some annoying noise when driving over bumpy roads (i.e., any road around here).

Wow, a free of charge upgrade to your car. Oh wait, you had to pay for that before delivery? Ouch.
Hey, I'm getting a brand spanking new front motor, soon...
To stay a little more on topic... be careful when they install the seats, mine were misinstalled by the factory and where chafing the center armrest, additionally two of the fasteners weren't tightened correctly leading to some annoying noise when driving over bumpy roads (i.e., any road around here).

Thanks for the advice.

The ability of the service center to install the seats as well as the seats were installed at Fremont has been one of my concerns all along, but others here who have had the installation completed seem happy, so I'm trying not to worry too much.

On the other hand, I do have some reason to be concerned.

When my car was at the service center that will be doing this for the wind noise issue, and to have my wheels changed over, it was also to have the rear spoiler replaced, under warranty. There had been an issue when the detailer that Opti-coated the car removed the protective tape from the spoiler, and some of the clear-coat had come off, in spite of the detailer having detacked the tape, etc. Tesla had agreed to replace the spoiler under warranty, and I had not been in a rush to have it done, but had waited until the car was going in for something else. Well, when I got the car back, I thought they had put on a used spoiler. There were marks and scrapes all over it. There was also glue left on it. My best guess is that whomever installed it scraped and scratched it, trying to get the glue from whatever had protected it in transit off, and then gave up, leaving the rest of the glue on. Frankly, it was a pathetic and unprofessional attempt, and for them to think I wouldn't notice was actually mind-boggling. They have, of course, agreed to replace the spoiler again. My point is that the way the spoiler installation was mishandled makes me wonder, at least a little, about everything that service center does.

(Here are a few pictures of my new spoiler. It's hard to tell from the pictures just how bad it looked.)

IMG_1779smaller.JPG
IMG_1783smaller.JPG
IMG_1785smaller.JPG
IMG_1778smaller.JPG

Last edited:
I received a call and scheduled my seats to be installed tomorrow. The tech will come to my job and install them. Said it should take approximately one hour to install. I'll let y'all know how it turns out and I'll be sure to keep dirkhh's comments in mind when reviewing the work