Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D Next Generation Seats Delivery Thread

P85D Next Gen Seat Retrofits

• Keep what I got - Non Next Gen Front + Rear - I want the $2k credit

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Keep what I got - Next Gen Front + Non Next Gen Rear

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Get the Next Gen Seats Front + Rear

Votes: 75 82.4%
  • Get the Next Gen Seats Front - Keep Non Next Gen Rears

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure it is not the best place to form an opinion on this Dennis, but in the Design Studio, the Next Gen rear seat head restraints do in fact look even taller than the "old" seats...we had our P85D delivered with the Next Gens in front, and the old seats in the back...I think the old seats are high enough...given that we will rarely have any passengers in the rear seats, this could definitely change my mind on getting the Next Gen rear's installed (due to the reduced visibility)...before I decide though, I would like to see the actual Next Gen's "in person..."

I'm confused. Don't the new (not next gen) rear seats also have taller headrests than the original (2012-2013) rear seats? Are the headrests on the next gen seats even taller?

Much taller.

P1040593.JPG

next gen backseats are more complex to manufacure (more sewings ect) and some of the extra cost goes properbly to recaro. front seats have properbly same/simillar complexity as old performance seats. so I guess Andyw2000 have a point.
main difrence is labor due to coplexity/material - since both old and new have same tech.

Im from europe, and guess that I will recive my car with next gen in both front and rear.
but if Tesla offered it/ask, I would consider downgrade the backseats (at some discount.) - to me the old backsea (and front for that matter) seats was just perfect.

btw. I wish the middle headrest was same (low) hight as the old type, this way there would be more rear view visability .

If 'properbly' isn't an English word, it certainly should be! 'Properbly' combines the sense of 'properly' and 'probably' very nicely, as in 'ought to and likely to'.

We should change this thread soon to: those that have the P85D, did your seats get shipped yet?
I am still stuck in the 'black hole' but apparently my car has the regular seats. I for one will probably decline the rear seats because of the lip, rear visibility with the headrests and a concern over ingress and egress with the bolsters.
I just emailed Jerome suggesting we get offered the choice of taking the fronts only and asking what the credit will be.

FYI, my service center quoted me a delivery timeframe of March to get my next-gen seats. At least I got a chance to sit in their demo P85D that had them front and back (no I didn't get a chance to fold the back seats flat...)

I'm confused. Don't the new (not next gen) rear seats also have taller headrests than the original (2012-2013) rear seats? Are the headrests on the next gen seats even taller?

I have the non Next Gen seats in front and back and the back have the new very tall headrests. I sat in a car with the Next Gen back seats and the headrests seemed to me to have the same size headrests.

I have the non Next Gen seats in front and back and the back have the new very tall headrests. I sat in a car with the Next Gen back seats and the headrests seemed to me to have the same size headrests.

I agree. I believe every Model S built in the last couple of months has the taller headrests whether the seats are next gen or not. If someone has a P85D with small headrests in the rear, please post a pic.

The lack of rear visibility really bugs me so I now drive with the rear seats folded down. Most of my miles are alone or with my girlfriend so it's not an inconvenience generally speaking.

Would you (or someone else with the taller rear headrests) kindly take a picture from the driver's seat looking into the rearview mirror to show how obstructed the view is? Thanking the amazing TMC forum members in advance!

We should change this thread soon to: those that have the P85D, did your seats get shipped yet?
I am still stuck in the 'black hole' but apparently my car has the regular seats. I for one will probably decline the rear seats because of the lip, rear visibility with the headrests and a concern over ingress and egress with the bolsters.
I just emailed Jerome suggesting we get offered the choice of taking the fronts only and asking what the credit will be.
FYI Jerome did reply and said it was a very interesting idea and he would get back to me.

My DS called today to ask me how I was enjoying my P85D, and after a brief chat I asked him what the credit would be if I chose to keep my non-NG rear seats.

He told me a credit was not an option and implied that I would have to have the NG rear seats installed when they became available. He assured me the headrests were the same between the seats I have now and the forthcoming NG rear seats.

Has anyone heard this from their DS? Or to the contrary, has anyone heard of a specific dollar value credit for retaining the non-NG rear seats?

Since I rarely have rear seat passengers and liked the idea of it flatter if there were just one or two people back there, I had been looking forward to getting a credit...

-- David

Interesting...thanks for posting this!

My DS called today to ask me how I was enjoying my P85D, and after a brief chat I asked him what the credit would be if I chose to keep my non-NG rear seats.

He told me a credit was not an option and implied that I would have to have the NG rear seats installed when they became available. He assured me the headrests were the same between the seats I have now and the forthcoming NG rear seats.
Has anyone heard this from their DS? Or to the contrary, has anyone heard of a specific dollar value credit for retaining the non-NG rear seats?

Since I rarely have rear seat passengers and liked the idea of it flatter if there were just one or two people back there, I had been looking forward to getting a credit...

-- David