Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D Next Generation Seats Delivery Thread

P85D Next Gen Seat Retrofits

• Keep what I got - Non Next Gen Front + Rear - I want the $2k credit

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Keep what I got - Next Gen Front + Non Next Gen Rear

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Get the Next Gen Seats Front + Rear

Votes: 75 82.4%
  • Get the Next Gen Seats Front - Keep Non Next Gen Rears

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got my car back with the next-gen seats, but also found 2 issues. In order of importance:

1. Passenger seat's lumbar adjustment is broken (4-way buttons move but nothing happens)

2. None of the profiles I had saved have an impact on moving not only the seats (not so surprised) but also the steering wheel (more surprising) to the previously-saved positions. Side-view mirrors and display settings (controls, units, etc.) were retained.

Anyone else who got their seats replaced experienced either issue?

Last edited:
So I got my car back with the next-gen seats, but also found 2 issues. In order of importance:

1. Passenger seat's lumbar adjustment is broken (4-way buttons move but nothing happens)

2. None of the profiles I had saved have an impact on moving not only the seats (not so surprised) but also the steering wheel (more surprising) to the previously-saved positions. Side-view mirrors and display settings (controls, units, etc.) were retained.

Anyone else who got their seats replaced experienced either issue?

I have issue number 2 (not that it's anything more than reprogramming the profile,but I also wonder why the settings didn't carry over since they probably don't reside in the seats). I didn't even check the passenger seat, so I'm hoping I don't have number 1.

I can say that I LOVE the NextGen seats. One of my biggest complaints about our former P85 was the seats. I'm a pretty big, wide guy (6', 230) and I was a bit concerned that the side bolsters would be too much. Nope, they are proper seats for a sporting car (which is how I drive the P85D). Great support all around and they keep you planted through the corners. I guess people who are boulevard cruisers won't like them, but that's why they're an option...

Edit: Just checked the passenger seat, the lumbar works fine.

Last edited:
I have issue number 2 (not that it's anything more than reprogramming the profile,but I also wonder why the settings didn't carry over since they probably don't reside in the seats). I didn't even check the passenger seat, so I'm hoping I don't have number 1.

I can say that I LOVE the NextGen seats. One of my biggest complaints about our former P85 was the seats. I'm a pretty big, wide guy (6', 230) and I was a bit concerned that the side bolsters would be too much. Nope, they are proper seats for a sporting car (which is how I drive the P85D). Great support all around and they keep you planted through the corners. I guess people who are boulevard cruisers won't like them, but that's why they're an option...

Edit: Just checked the passenger seat, the lumbar works fine.

Thanks for checking! Glad to your passenger seat works fine. I'm hoping they just forgot to attach a wire or something simple on mine.

I had a specific conversation about the memory profiles with my Service Manager as my seats were being installed and was told the memory for the seat is indeed stored on a module in the seat. That being the case, it makes sense you would have to reset after replacement. I never tested if would return to the old seat memory as I adjusted my seat to my liking and then restored the profile so i can't collaborate #1. Same goes for the steering wheel...

Mike

Ranger coming out from Charlotte tomorrow to install the correct next gen rear seats (with subzero package). It only took a couple of weeks for them to ship the correct seats out after the mix up with the non-subzero package ones.

my order was confirmed on 3/23 -- right around the time they dropped it down to $2500 and removed the rear -- but i still paid the $3500 and had the rear NG seats pictured. whether they will actually be in the car or not? who knows. i'm scheduled for a late april delivery. i emailed the DS and he said he would be surprised at this point if the car did NOT come with the rear NG seats. he and the owner adviser are going to get confirmation within the next day or so (the car has not begun production yet)

Ranger installed my rear seats. Woot!

2015-04-03 11.49.07-1920.jpg

Just curious. How much warning are folks getting between notification that the replacement seats are on the way and when they arrive at the SC for installation? Is it just "surprise they're here!" or does the SC know a week or two in advance?

Just curious. How much warning are folks getting between notification that the replacement seats are on the way and when they arrive at the SC for installation? Is it just "surprise they're here!" or does the SC know a week or two in advance?

It's the latter (at least it was in my case). When the factory sources seats for a specific VIN, they seem to give a heads-up to the service center before they ship them to the SC. Then it's up to the SC to contact the customer to schedule the replacement.

It does take a full day to replace the seats, so the SC will need to schedule an appointment well ahead of time - in my case the earliest available was about 2 weeks after they called me, so the seats arrived 4-5 days before installation.

I have a question for those of you that have had the seats installed. I know some of you have had some issues with respect to the wrong seats being ordered, or glitches with things not working that should have been, that I assume are now fixed or soon will be. Not including those issues, looking at and sitting in your new seats, do you think you or anyone would in any way be able to tell that they were installed at a service center and not built with the car in Fremont? I guess I'm asking if you think as good a job was done installing your seats at the service center as would have been done if the seats were available when the cars were built.

Your answers aren't going to change anything for me, but if they are positive, as I expect they will be, (because I don't think anyone has written anything to the contrary yet,) then I'll worry a little less between now and the time I get my seats. But don't let that influence you. Please tell it like it is!

Thanks!

I have a question for those of you that have had the seats installed. I know some of you have had some issues with respect to the wrong seats being ordered, or glitches with things not working that should have been, that I assume are now fixed or soon will be. Not including those issues, looking at and sitting in your new seats, do you think you or anyone would in any way be able to tell that they were installed at a service center and not built with the car in Fremont? I guess I'm asking if you think as good a job was done installing your seats at the service center as would have been done if the seats were available when the cars were built.

Your answers aren't going to change anything for me, but if they are positive, as I expect they will be, (because I don't think anyone has written anything to the contrary yet,) then I'll worry a little less between now and the time I get my seats. But don't let that influence you. Please tell it like it is!

Thanks!

I can't personally tell that they were installed at a SC, but I really can't comment on whether there's a difference to those that were installed at the factory until I see them side by side.

But to answer your question in the abstract, I am very satisfied with the installation (after my issue with the lumbar "joystick" buttons on the front passenger seat was fixed).

I can't personally tell that they were installed at a SC, but I really can't comment on whether there's a difference to those that were installed at the factory until I see them side by side.

But to answer your question in the abstract, I am very satisfied with the installation (after my issue with the lumbar "joystick" buttons on the front passenger seat was fixed).

Thanks, Marc.

With respect to the difference, what you might notice is a difference between how these were installed at the SC and how your original seats had been installed at the factory. The fact that you don't notice anything is comforting.

Thanks again.

Thanks, Marc.

With respect to the difference, what you might notice is a difference between how these were installed at the SC and how your original seats had been installed at the factory. The fact that you don't notice anything is comforting.

Thanks again.

I had same worries you expressed. Bottom line, I cannot tell they weren't installed at the factory. I am 100% satisfied with the new seats.

Mine were done by Tesla Service guys in my garage - I watched everything they did. They taped every surface on the doors, B pillar and everywhere else that could possibly get scratched when they were removing the old seats and installing the new ones.

I would challenge anyone who didn't know to pick out anything that would indicate these seats were not installed at the factory.

Mike