Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking short interest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I like a high short interest too as it does nothing but add fuel to a rally. You might be on to something regarding the Mercedes hedge, but whatever the case we are coming from a huge short interest, and the stock hasn't been budging to the point the shorts have been hoping for. We have only fallen below $200 for a short period in the last 10 months and the trend line is clearly going up. I think the short "community" is slowly breaking as they continue to be wrong about the stock and the story of Tesla is getting stronger by the quarter. The typical short argument of Tesla being "extremely overvalued" is slowing falling apart as Tesla ramps up production super fast, next year Tesla will only be valued at 4x revenue, and the year after 2x revenue, and that is high margin revenue. The shorts illusion is crumbling under the weight of reality and I think the trend of falling short interest (was 30mil a year ago) will continue.

Agree with your assessment, shorts are persistent but less and less so, they are slowly breaking and getting wiped with Tesla tsunami
big-wave.jpg

Short interest for 11/14/14 settlement date was reported today. Short interest up. Currently at 22.2 millions shares short.

This is about a 6% increase in the number of shares reported short two weeks prior...this is good news to me whenever short interest has gone up in TSLA. It just means more shorts have to unwind their short position at some point I the future.

What do your guys think about the short interest increase in such low price level? Does market (shorts) think TSLA will go to 180, 160 level? If it's true, then long time shorts in seeking alpha (Logic Thoughts for example) might earn money soon.

Last edited:
The last time Tesla had 25+ million shares sold short was throughout May. In May, the stock was also hanging in and around the $200 area. The Relative Strength Index (RSI) also showed Tesla to be oversold in May, and it bottomed at 27.87. Today, the RSI hit 26.54, so about the same level. The 200 day moving average and the 50 day moving average are touching for the first time since December of 2012. If tomorrow is an up day, it will be a REALLY bullish sign because that means multiple things:

A) The stock found support at $200
B) The stock will form a higher low from the previous low of ~$190
C) The stock has a rebounding RSI, which parallels the bounce in May as shorts began to cover and send the stock slowly up.
D) The bulls do not want to let the 50 and 200 day moving averages cross, which would make a bearish sign.
E) If it is up tomorrow, it will probably be a reaction to today's disclosure of short interest, indicating that the market thinks the short interest is too high.

Cross your fingers for an up day tomorrow.

Been a while since I posted an updated chart. Thought I would throw one out there since Short Interest is on the rise.

Capture.PNG

The interesting thing here is that while the Short interest is slowly going back up, it appears that they are mostly just keeping the overall cost to play at a steady value (The red line). Ever since 4/30/2014 the cost of the short's to continue to play the game has remained pretty flat... all things considering. With an average cost of $5.4BN (a low of $4.6BN on 5/15 and a high of $6.2BN on 9/15) A lot of the variance in the short value is because of the fluctuating share price (the high cost coincided with the high point of the share price and the low point was at the lowest share price) But as you can see from the line it seems like as the price goes down they pile on piece by piece and as the price goes up they slowly cut back, all to maintain this roughly $5.5BN bet against TSLA. I am sure some of the other bits in there is white noise since you have random investors piling in and out at the same time. But I am willing to stake that the majority of this cash that is floating this counter bet against TSLA is by only a handful of organizations.

Call me crazy... but that is what I am seeing in the data. If this is true... the only way you are going to get a pain point on this, is if the stock moves up VERY quickly. I am talking 10$ swings every day for like a week (so like between today and next Tuesday we hit 250). Otherwise whoever is controlling the vast amounts of shorted shares is likely to just rebalance their position maintaining a similar amount of money staked against the market. With days to cover sitting between 3 and 6 they are constantly rolling their positions anyway... which is why I am suggesting that to get a proper squeeze, the stock would have to move VERY quickly... Anything slower and they have plenty of time to flip out their position without causing a lot of drama to the price.

Interestingly enough Interactive Brokers has a short-able securities list which is not too hard to get. I see today there are 85,000 shares available to short for TSLA. I would love to incorporate more brokers but it might be interesting to track anyway between the more official NASDAQ updates or even just interesting to look at daily plots. I put in a script that will get the number daily and will post a few charts here once I have some data stored.

Interestingly enough Interactive Brokers has a short-able securities list which is not too hard to get. I see today there are 85,000 shares available to short for TSLA. I would love to incorporate more brokers but it might be interesting to track anyway between the more official NASDAQ updates or even just interesting to look at daily plots. I put in a script that will get the number daily and will post a few charts here once I have some data stored.

That is an awesome idea. If you have a server you could have the script write directly to a web page then just share the link. ;)

If you don't want to set it up on a web server I would be willing to run it on my server and host a page so it's automated. You would need to write the script though.

Wow, no shares available at IB as of now. 90K this morning. The lending rate hasn't gone up yet. If this is for real, then the rate should go up tomorrow. Otherwise could be just a temporary TSLA shortage at IB.

- - - Updated - - -

For reference, IB had 3.5M TSLA shares available on 10/28/2014. (I have the USA.txt list from that date). I'll try to post what happens to the lending rate at IB to keep everyone in this thread in the loop.

If you have an account at IB you can get this information by logging into Account Managment->Support->Tools->Stock Short Availability.

Wow, no shares available at IB as of now. 90K this morning. The lending rate hasn't gone up yet. If this is for real, then the rate should go up tomorrow. Otherwise could be just a temporary TSLA shortage at IB.
OK, I can actually track the fee rate as well. It looks like 0.4268%. Is that annual?

- - - Updated - - -

That is an awesome idea. If you have a server you could have the script write directly to a web page then just share the link. ;)
Hah, didn't think of that. I could easily set a table up but will try to plug the value into rrdtool as well for dynamically generated graphs.

- - - Updated - - -

For reference, IB had 3.5M TSLA shares available on 10/28/2014. (I have the USA.txt list from that date). I'll try to post what happens to the lending rate at IB to keep everyone in this thread in the loop.
Hmm, yeah, exactly why I want to do scripted tracking of this it will be interesting to see daily, weekly, and monthly changes.