Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking short interest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting comments at 1:22 Tesla Short Squeeze! | In Depth

" 34.72 % of Tesla shares are shorted shares " ... while only " 1% of Apple stock is being shorted "

2019 06 21 - 1-3 of Tesla are shorted  .jpg

I think there are a lot of longs loaning their stock out now, more than there used to be. Probably accounts for the low borrow fee.
Maybe, but something makes me think that stocks with low borrowing rates are seen as inherently stabler and companies have a safer / brigther future than stocks with excessive lending rates. 25 to 74% lending rates is a huge multiple to 0.99%, and the short ratio of those is maybe double that of Tesla.
My conclusion is that Tesla shorts can't be taken seriously. They seem to be either fake (short position neutralised/hedged by whatever means) or dumb....

Reactions: jbih
The updated short interest just came in, and it looks like we're at 22,752,621, which is a low point in the last 12 months.
Tesla, Inc. Common Stock (TSLA) Short Interest

Does anyone know how to get data from more than just the trailing 12 months? I'm asking because I'm thinking of putting together a graph like the one that chickensevil put together, but I'd like to do it starting with when TSLA went public and ending it now, so that I can see the whole trend of short interest over time compared to stock price.

The updated short interest just came in, and it looks like we're at 22,752,621, which is a low point in the last 12 months.
Tesla, Inc. Common Stock (TSLA) Short Interest

Does anyone know how to get data from more than just the trailing 12 months? I'm asking because I'm thinking of putting together a graph like the one that chickensevil put together, but I'd like to do it starting with when TSLA went public and ending it now, so that I can see the whole trend of short interest over time compared to stock price.

Using the wayback machine, you can only go back to Oct '19: Wayback Machine

Edit: Actually, if you're willing to comb the 201x investor/trading threads, the short interest was almost always referenced by someone, so it can definitely be pieced together.