Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking units of electricity used.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evening all,

Car delivered to me on Friday so a few days into the experience which I am just so happy with, Tesla Wall Charger installation completed today so ready to roll.

The car is a lease through my business but I will be charging at home so want to track the units of electricity I am using.

I posted on FB and Teslafi has been suggested, is it any good.

Is there anything else I could consider??

many thanks

h

Tesla fi is only going to track the electricity used while driving. I don't think it will track the total used ( preheat, sentry etc) and even if it does it certainly wont pick up the charging losses.
At one time I was only using 2 chargers one at work and one at home both of which had software that recorded KW/h what I found was that the total recorded by the car was only 70% of what was actually being consumed. Charging losses on a 7Kw charger are typically 10% so the other 20% sentry, preheat etc.
unless you can measure what leaves the charger you will never know. If the Tesla charger is not smart and you really need to know you could get a wireless energy monitor like a loop that attaches to the cable

TeslaFi will tell you all you need to know, it's very good. You can get a 2 week trial too.

I have a Wattmeter installed in my charger and that agrees with Teslafi within + or - 2%. Obviously you need to add in cable losses but that shouldn't be more 2%.

Evening all,

Car delivered to me on Friday so a few days into the experience which I am just so happy with, Tesla Wall Charger installation completed today so ready to roll.

The car is a lease through my business but I will be charging at home so want to track the units of electricity I am using.

I posted on FB and Teslafi has been suggested, is it any good.

Is there anything else I could consider??

many thanks

h

This is what TeslaFi can offer. Info on each charging session plus a running total...

82E32DC5-794F-40D4-A95B-C2117AEEEE39.jpeg
5F03B58E-47DE-49A7-B20E-CAE6FDA8209F.jpeg

Teslamate will give you a close approximation, however this only estimates the charging & cable losses. For the most accurate data it's best to look at an external monitor, such as EmonPi which uses a CT sensor that you can clip over the Live/Neutral wire to monitor actual drawn current.

Personally I use Teslamate for it's data logging benefits, and EmonPi as my in-home power & environmental monitoring. I'm also installing an OpenEVSE charger soon which will provide live data into EmonPi too.

If there's a spare slot in the CU feeding the charge point then it's a doddle to install an energy meter in that slot. If you have a two module slot spare then that's slightly better, as the double module meters are easier to read than the single module ones (the single module ones have the display sideways). These meters cost around £15 to £20 and take maybe 15 minutes to fit. Can be done by a competent DIY'er who fully understands the need to comply with the regs, correctly terminate the conductors, etc, as it's not notifiable work under Part P. I have about 5 or 6 of these meters scattered around the house, recording things like the energy our heat pump uses, the split between solar and grid energy used by our water heating system, plus meters on both charge points.