Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traction Control/Swaying under Firmware v4.2 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the upgrade yesterday. I drove the car in fresh fallen snow, doing several 0 to 20mph runs. I then parked and upgraded. I did the same runs. The acceleration was improved with both slow acceleration and flooring the pedal. It allowed the tires to slip a tiny bit more which was an improvement in snow.

In other treads and from my brother's auto engineering work I must say that the issue that William3 is talking about is most likely due to the choice of the differential which was chosen for simplicity and energy efficiency. Tiny differences in tire pressure or road traction will cause the issues he notes.

Maybe you guys are misunderstanding the situation. The swaying happens when I accellerate in a straight line, the steering wheel is perfectly straight the whole time. And don't flatter yourself by thinking it's just a result of the Model S having mountains of torque. This issue happens even at higher speeds, where the Model S couldn't spin the tires even in its wildest dreams. I'm not suggesting any sort of software fix (grandpa mode as you call it). I don't believe it is related to traction control at all. I think it is a hardware problem. I predict that the non-air-suspension cars will not have this problem.

I have a Perf model with 21 inch wheels and I have felt the same swaying while accelerating in a straight line. I had a BMW M5 before this car with similar power numbers and it did not display the same behavior. I haven't had the guts to take the Model S on the track yet, but this kind of suspension movement under hard acceleration out of a turn would be unnerving.

I wonder if this has something to do with the tuning of the active air suspension. Hopefully, the good folks at Tesla Motors will come up with a better setting for it after spending some time on the track themselves. It would be a shame for the Performance version of the Model S to lose driving enthusiasts.

That being said, I am no expert track rat. I have attended only four two-day driving schools on racetracks and still consider myself a beginner. My experience with high performance cars is limited to daily driving a 2002 BMW M5 for six years and a 2003 Mitsubishi Evo for three years before that. The swaying under hard acceleration in the Model S is no figment of my imagination; the cause is less clear.

Viranjit

update: having been on 4.2 for a week or so, i can say for sure that the swaying i felt when making speedy lane changes, is much less, if not even noticeable at this point. i made a couple high accel moves around slowpokes in single lane roads today and the car really does feel like it's sticking on rails. very confident and fun. most definitely different in a very good way from what i was noticing a few weeks ago... fwiw.

With 4.2, I've noticed the car spins the rear tires much more when flooring it. With 4.1, I could drop it and take off. With 4.2, takeoffs are quite a bit trickier as the rear tires slip quite a bit if I just drop the pedal. I liked 4.1 better in that regard.

With 4.2, I've noticed the car spins the rear tires much more when flooring it. With 4.1, I could drop it and take off. With 4.2, takeoffs are quite a bit trickier as the rear tires slip quite a bit if I just drop the pedal. I liked 4.1 better in that regard.
OTOH, that bit of slipping introduced in 4.2 is very helpful for driving in the snow. Further proof that Tesla should have multiple settings for TC: "Off" "Snow" "Sport"

I got my car a week ago and experienced what I think is being described as the swaying for the first time today. I was going about 60 when I decided to accelerate quickly to maybe 75 to pass someone. It suddenly felt like the car was abruptly shifting from side to side. The swaying was severe enough that I could not make the lane change and had to slow down. It was very unsettling. To be fair, it could have happened when I started turning the wheel slightly to get back in the lane rather than going straight-ahead, but either way, I would think the car should handle a high-speed lane change more smoothly. My old car, a RWD Infiniti G37S, would have had no problem with the maneuver. I love my model S but am hoping this is a software issue that can be fixed in subsequent releases. I have version 4.2 and use standard steering. Any thoughts?

I got my car a week ago and experienced what I think is being described as the swaying for the first time today. I was going about 60 when I decided to accelerate quickly to maybe 75 to pass someone. It suddenly felt like the car was abruptly shifting from side to side. The swaying was severe enough that I could not make the lane change and had to slow down. It was very unsettling. To be fair, it could have happened when I started turning the wheel slightly to get back in the lane rather than going straight-ahead, but either way, I would think the car should handle a high-speed lane change more smoothly. My old car, a RWD Infiniti G37S, would have had no problem with the maneuver. I love my model S but am hoping this is a software issue that can be fixed in subsequent releases. I have version 4.2 and use standard steering. Any thoughts?

I believe the stability controll was detecting a skid and was attempting to keep you straight. I believe this needs some fine tuning, and needs an ability to turn it off when driving agressively.

I wonder if the instant full torque has something to do with this?

No offense intended to anyone here but I think the problem is bad driving technique. You should accelerate then change lanes or change lanes then accelerate. But if you floor it *while* changing lanes you will cause the car to become unsettled. As mentioned above that's what 443ftlbs of instant torque will do. It requires some care!

I believe I've felt the swaying people are talking about here but I was attempting a lane change while laying on the accelerator... :)

Thanks all for your thoughts on my swaying. I think Lloyd is right that there is some limitation in the traction control. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I find torque hard to explain the problem for two reasons -- (1) I was already applying a fair amount of torque before I accelerated (I was going about 60) and (2) I drive a 60KW -- 317 lb-ft of torque -- which is not too far off from my previous car. As to mnx, I'm probably not the best driver in the world, but I have driven this way for a long time and never had a problem in my Infiniti or BMW.

No offense intended to anyone here but I think the problem is bad driving technique. You should accelerate then change lanes or change lanes then accelerate. But if you floor it *while* changing lanes you will cause the car to become unsettled. As mentioned above that's what 443ftlbs of instant torque will do. It requires some care!

I believe I've felt the swaying people are talking about here but I was attempting a lane change while laying on the accelerator... :)

None taken, but that's pretty much akin to saying that all colon cancer is caused by eating French fries. Flooring it in a straight line does the same thing, just not as pronounced. I still don't think it has a thing to do with traction control. Traction control notifies you when activated, with an indicator on the panel. It does not come on during this process. I still believe that it is a torque steer process, and related to suspension, not software.