Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-in hell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in a similar position (submitted trade-in over a week ago but still "pending" online) with delivery set for 9/27. I then decided to call my local delivery center to verify I was set for delivery, which I was, but he also was able to tell me the value of my trade-in! Apparently it was just sitting there as "pending" because they wanted to see a copy of my title, but nobody ever told me that. So I emailed a copy of the title to the delivery center rep and I now see the value in my online account.

This story x2. I did the same thing and called the delivery center and mine was also in a pending state because they were waiting on a copy of the title. It'd be nice if the site actually said they needed it or had a place to upload it. Once I sent them that they got me a quote that same day. It was about 4K under what I expected...but at least they finally sent it.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Well, I finally received trade-in appraisal this morning. I knew the value would be lower than my loan balance considering I barely put any money down when I first purchased the vehicle. However, it was definitely a $1,000-2,000 lower than I was expecting, so I will be getting some written offers from a dealership and CarMax.

With that said, any offer would need to be at least $2,200 higher than Tesla's because that's approximately how much I'll save on sales tax by doing the trade-in at their current appraised value. Although truthfully, the competing offer would probably need to be at least $3,000 or greater than Tesla's, otherwise it's not worth missing out on the convenience of driving the vehicle to the delivery center and driving away in my M3.

I don't see a huge offer like that coming from anyone else unless I sit on the car and try for private sale, which I'd rather not do (also would like to avoid having to potentially make two car payments). Now I am mostly just looking to get comparative quotes to bump up Tesla's offer which serves the dual purpose of reducing my sales tax liability and covering more of the gap between trade-in value and loan balance.

My pick-up is scheduled for tomorrow, and I just got the trade-in offer from Tesla. I guess they are just got swamped with the Great September Delivery Push.

Certainly seem to be the case. IMHO their trade-in department should focus on states where the trade-in reduces the sales tax. On all other states they can send people to CarMax, except ifd they are trading-in another Tesla.

Reactions: neroden
If you are referring to me, yes. The KBB quote I got for my 2016 Chevrolet Volt was $16,842. Tesla offered $16,900 which is effectively $17,956 because of the sales tax reduction.
What was the mileage and condition of your Volt? I have a 16 with 25k, in very nice condition and I was hoping it was worth more than that!

I was in a similar position (submitted trade-in over a week ago but still "pending" online) with delivery set for 9/27. I then decided to call my local delivery center to verify I was set for delivery, which I was, but he also was able to tell me the value of my trade-in! Apparently it was just sitting there as "pending" because they wanted to see a copy of my title, but nobody ever told me that. So I emailed a copy of the title to the delivery center rep and I now see the value in my online account.

Same thing happened to us. We quickly sent in photos of our car as requested and told they usually came back with a quote within 24-36 hours. Waited and nothing and getting closer to our delivery date. No response to email sent. My husband called one of the advisors we worked with on our last car and he was able to look it up and tell us. Didn't understand why it wasn't posted to our account. Since we subsequently got assigned another contact to work with I think there were some personnel changes and we got caught mid-stream in them.

Thought I'd mention we went to Carmax, and ended up with the same quote. Talked about it and decided to sell it through Carmax in hopes it simplfied things on the Tesla end (more paper work for them and honestly we know they don't have extra storage space). BTW along with the photos, we sent them our title so in our case didn't matter. The Trade-in got corrected and now awaiting our delivery date to arrive.

I've always sold my cars myself, because it's so easy to do, and you get a far better deal than a trade. I sold my 2012 Volt within a day, just by sending out an email to my friends. Easily got KBB value.

Does you state reduce the sales tax in case of a trade-in? If it does, it makes trade-in preferable when you sell relatively new cars. There is always the convenience factor. especially for people like me that only have one car in the family.

Eh, good luck. I was told by my delivery guy the trade in people were backed up, so just go get a CarMax and they’ll honor it.

Two identical CarMax valuations of 14k later, I got 2 Tesla offers of 8k and no good explanation after a series of calls and emails.

Ended up selling direct to CarMax.

They won't match a CarMax offer on a Tesla. And CarMax offered me $4k more!

They're so friggon busy I'd blow off the trade in. Carmax is a couple miles down the road. I sold my Model S to Carmax then took a Lyft to Tesla, picked up my Model 3 and minutes later on on my back to the Cape...easy peasy. Btw Carmax came in at about 12k over Tesla offer so more than makes up for any tax benefit.
Wait!... Tesla bid your 2016 Model S $12,000 lower than CarMax? So now they do not even want used Teslas unless they can "steal" them. Interesting...

Terrible advice if you're in a state where the trade-in reduces the sales tax. I sent Tesla my CarMax quote and they matched it and posted to my account in about 24 hours (I didn't even ask them to evaluate a trade in offer of their own.)
Actually it is the right advice if Tesla offered $12k less for his Model S than CarMax offered. The 12k more than offsets the tax. But you are correct if he did not submit the CarMax bid to Tesla and try to get them to match the Car Max offer.

Terrible advice if you're in a state where the trade-in reduces the sales tax. I sent Tesla my CarMax quote and they matched it and posted to my account in about 24 hours (I didn't even ask them to evaluate a trade in offer of their own.)
Actually it is the right advice if Tesla offered $12k less for his Model S than CarMax offered. The 12k more than offsets the tax. But you are correct if he did not submit the CarMax bid to Tesla and try to get them to match the Car Max offer.
Frankly, I'm super busy(gotta make the dineros to keep buying Teslas!), Tesla was busier and the Carmax offer was nice so I went for it. If I had more time and patience I could have gone back and forth etc., and if somebody has the time it's worth a try.

Another motivator was once I received the Carmax offer(good for 7 days) my wife's 2 days old car was rear ended. With that fresh in my mind, I didn't want anything to happen to my Tesla cause I could kiss the Carmax offer goodbye. Now here's the interesting part. I drove about 70 miles to Carmax to take them up on the offer then shoot over to Tesla and pick up the 3. About 1/4 mile from the Carmax entrance I hear a "crunch" in back of me. I kinda freak but instead of my car being hit it was the car directly behind me that was rear ended. Anyhow, might want to keep that in mind if you get a good offer then drive around trying to get the best trade value etc.

FYI, when I took delivery in Dedham on Friday 9/28, they told me to park it and leave they key inside. No one examined the car and it was still in the same place when I left an hour later in my Model 3. The next day I got an email from the RMV that my old registration was cancelled, so I guess they did process the car eventually.