Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in US model 3 for Taiwan delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Family wants to be move back to Taiwan, but we love our Model 3 Performance.

Does anyone have experience finding a freight forwarder in US that is still willing to bring vehicles to Taiwan? Preferably from Texas or California?

If not, I have been thinking if it was possible to trade-in our US tesla for a Tesla in Taiwan; somehow telling the Taiwan dealership we will take delivery once we arrive there. Has anyone tried this before? Any other tips about getting our US Tesla to work properly in Taiwan (sim card, navigate on autopilot, FSD) would be helpful!

I thought Tesla's are "locked" to the original region of their purchase? Like, you can bring your Tesla with you, but a lot of features won't be usable. I think I read once about someone taking their US Tesla to Europe/Germany and they weren't able to use navigation. Tesla dealership in Taipei also suggested (about a year ago when I was asking) that you can't just ship Tesla's around as some things won't be functional, but maybe it's different now?

The vehicle tax and import procedures make importing vehicles to Taiwan very impractical. I had a colleague that moved back to Taiwan and shipped his Benz from CA. When all was said and done, he said it wasn't worth it. He should have just sold the car in CA and bought a used car in Taiwan. Cars are very expensive in Taiwan, but it's all due to the vehicle taxes. Importing a car sounds like a good way to save money except the fact that they collect the tax during import and now your total investment is the same as all the other cars that are already in the local market. Now add all the Tesla specific hassles and it's REALLY not worth it.

Last edited: