Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in values seem high again ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trade in estimate of £43,600 a week ago for my Sept 2019 Model 3 LR (Red/Aeros) with 17.5k miles.

Uploaded my photos on Friday. Trade in offer confirmed yesterday for £43,400. Slight decrease, not sure why, but I accepted it.

Trade in offer is valid until May 27th, my estimated Model Y delivery window is May 8th to June 5th so hopefully the timing works out OK.

Reactions: GT_M3 and Durzel
It is difficult to follow Tesla's logic. I had a a trade in estimate of £47,600 for my Dec 2020 M3LR on 5K miles. That seemed low compared to the offers received by others with earlier cars &/or higher mileages.
The car is as new or indeed better than new and has full front end PPF. The only defect on the entire car is on one wheel where I curbed 2 x 1".

Imagine my surprise when I today receive an offer of £46,536.00. Allowing £64 for the wheel refurb, that means they have reduced my trade in value by £1,000.

Feels rather like bait and switch from Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: squarepeg77
Well, we're in strange times.

Prior to COVID and the knock on effects to supply chain stuff I don't know if any of us could reasonably have expected such high trade in prices.

It's only been in recent times that people have received crazy prices, to the point where they can (and have) trade in for a 2+ year newer car for the same as what they paid before, or a nominal extra amount.

I had a £55,700 offer from Tesla for my March 2020 M3P at the start of March this year, the highest it has ever been. That has softened in recent weeks to £53,700 and more recently £52,800. I'm not sure I can really complain when that's still only ~£8k less than I paid for it 2 years ago (and I bought FSD).

I think we've been spoilt by these high trade in prices to be honest. I would put the £1k reduction in price as being due to the fact that presumably a lot of people have taken Tesla up on these offers, so they are modifying their offers accordingly (buyers market), rather than it being in any way related to your wheel refurb, or lack thereof.

Prior to COVID and the knock on effects to supply chain stuff I don't know if any of us could reasonably have expected such high trade in prices.

It's only been in recent times that people have received crazy prices, to the point where they can (and have) trade in for a 2+ year newer car for the same as what they paid before, or a nominal extra amount.

I had a £55,700 offer from Tesla for my March 2020 M3P at the start of March this year, the highest it has ever been. That has softened in recent weeks to £53,700 and more recently £52,800. I'm not sure I can really complain when that's still only ~£8k less than I paid for it 2 years ago (and I bought FSD).

I think we've been spoilt by these high trade in prices to be honest. I would put the £1k reduction in price as being due to the fact that presumably a lot of people have taken Tesla up on these offers, so they are modifying their offers accordingly (buyers market), rather than it being in any way related to your wheel refurb, or lack thereof.
Good job I took the 55.7k for mine - trade in completes tomorrow!

Reactions: Durzel

I agree to a point, but if a company offers a trade in figure (albeit an estimate) provided you respond within 7 days, then is it unreasonable to expect that company to honour that pricing, given that it is factored into the overall transaction?

A reduction was expected for the alloy wheel, hence my comment about the £64. However, Tesla have then taken more than a week to respond during which time the price appears to have reduced by £1,000. Ultimately, it is Caveat Emptor.

Ah right, apologies. I assumed you got a trade-in price some time prior and then elected to get the alloy wheel repaired, and then tried again. Didn't realise it was in the space of 7 days. Yeah, in that case it's a bit rubbish on the basis that you saved the trade-in price you were given.

Reactions: Andy718
Trade in estimate of £43,600 a week ago for my Sept 2019 Model 3 LR (Red/Aeros) with 17.5k miles.

Uploaded my photos on Friday. Trade in offer confirmed yesterday for £43,400. Slight decrease, not sure why, but I accepted it.

Trade in offer is valid until May 27th, my estimated Model Y delivery window is May 8th to June 5th so hopefully the timing works out OK.
better hope there are no more lockdowns in China but I would not bet on it I can't see even the Chinese being able to stop Omicron BA2 the way .
I am in a similar situation to you. Mine was also May 8th to June 5th then they changed it to May23rd which helps I hope.

better hope there are no more lockdowns in China but I would not bet on it I can't see even the Chinese being able to stop Omicron BA2 the way .
I am in a similar situation to you. Mine was also May 8th to June 5th then they changed it to May23rd which helps I hope.

I agree the 9 day Shanghai lockdown would present a challenge, my delivery is still showing May 8 to June 5, hopefully I manage to get it before the trade in offer expires on May 27. I’m hoping that having everything lined up and completed might encourage them to find me a car but that’s more hope than expectation and demand is high. Not much I can do about it other than sit and wait in true Tesla buyer style. My Model 3 delivery was right within their original date estimate so here‘s hoping the Model Y is on a committed production plan or boat 🙂

Now is the the time to sell if you are selling a car. I bought a car for £36,000 and sold it for £33,000 2 and a bit years later (could have gotten more but I didn't want to be greedy incase the market drops)

But it cost me roughly £100 a month for what was a very nice car, as I got a nice chunk of change back after the finance was settled.

Wbac gone up again, now only £1800 less than Tesla(was £4k less at one point...who knows by the time my MY is here they may have overtaken (or Tesla trade in will be higher), we live in hope
By the time you MY arrives your 60 day price guarantee from Tesla will have expired so you might need it

My WBAC price is still 4K under but it was 6K under last week so moving in the right direction.

Just in the way of additional data, I have had a trade in offer for my 6/21 M3LR red/black 19" with 3800 miles of £49,600.

I've not tried Motorway or WBAC etc as not looking seriously to trade, just interested in current relative value.

what colour and wheels did you go for, if you don't mind me asking please? I've got white with 20"s on order but really want the blue (but the wait time is too long to do trade-in which I have already triggered).