Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in values seem high again ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm debating trading in My M3P for exactly the same car. I bought mine 2 years ago for 53k(£3.5k grant), so my trade in value is very good, think it works out about 14k deposit. If I order today I can get one in May. Twist or stick.....🤔

Tesla estimating trade in for my M3 LR (2019, Red, Aeros, 17.5k miles) at £43.1k vs £40.1k at Motorway, who I’ve sold through before with excellent results. Having just ordered a MY with delivery estimated July 2022, I‘m likely to head down the trade in route but will, I assume, need to resubmit it closer to the time as the final trade in values are valid for 60 days. At least I think that’s how it works.

Yup, that's basically right.. 7 days to apply to your order, and the quote is valid for 60 days. I did note that when doing a trade in quote yesterday there was some small print that said the quote could change at any point in that 60 days, though. Not sure if that's actually ever happened though, I've not seen it said.

It's kind of interesting. If you look at the market of used cars at the moment (the picture is M3 LR), there are 2 distinct groupings, one about 5-6k higher than the other. A bit of digging suggests the higher ones are mainly cars listed at Tesla and while Tesla has put EAP on all those cars, that doesn't completely account for the gap. It's hard to imagine anyone buying a 2019 M3 LR, red with black interior, EAP and standard wheels being worth £56k even if it is lowish mileage. That car has also been for sale for some time and new that car is £60k

I'm trying to work out the thinking, if they can sell cars for that much more than the competition then they can afford to give bigger part ex valuations, but if they can sell all the cars anyway, why not just pocket the profit? Maybe bigger price increases to come which will make the used cars more appealing, maybe supply is so poor going forward they know people will buy rather than wait. I'm not complaining, both are good for my cars valuation especially if I was looking to upgrade to a newer MY, it just seems unusual.

Untitled.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
WBAC are very very low currently. Must not be able to shift them
WBAC offers for my ICE car I am replacing has fallen through the floor in recent weeks too, it’s a good £1500 less than it was and about £2k than even a lowish equivalent being sold on Autotrader.

Maybe something going on with them, they have got too much stock or something.

Thankfully my lease company took my deposit on credit card so I think I will sell it privately.

Do you need hatchback or tow hitch? I find the M3 much tighter to drive - as in "Like hot hatch". MY a lot less precise

I agree with you on driving experience. Take the acceleration out of the equation and the Y is an altogether "loftier" and more sedate driving experience (in terms of height and feeling) than the M3. The lower slung M3 is planted so brilliantly on the road that you do feel that you can attack corners and enjoy it (safely of course) exactly like a "hot hatch", as you say. Although I say this after 2.5 years in my M3 and only 30 minutes test drive of the MY so I am sure that some fun can be had with it too, it's super quick after all. Just a different experience.

We are switching primarily for the hatchback, while the dog is now used to and very comfortable travelling in the rear seats of the M3, he is going to have to get used to getting stuck in the boot of the MY. I expect him to moan about this :)

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Anyone had a final offer recently? Got a £49,500 estimate on my Jun 2020 M3LR (8k miles) and am trying to bite their hand off, however submitted all photos etc on 6th March and it still says "Trade-In Valuation in Progress". As the MYLR I am trading it in for is due 5 May - 2 Jun, I am wondering if they are holding off so the 60 days covers the entire window, but worried that the valuation may drop as a result.

Anyone had a final offer recently? Got a £49,500 estimate on my Jun 2020 M3LR (8k miles) and am trying to bite their hand off, however submitted all photos etc on 6th March and it still says "Trade-In Valuation in Progress". As the MYLR I am trading it in for is due 5 May - 2 Jun, I am wondering if they are holding off so the 60 days covers the entire window, but worried that the valuation may drop as a result.
That sounds a very strong offer. I received an offer of £47,600 on my M3LR blue/black 19" on 4900 miles just 2 days ago. What options are fitted to your car - FSD?

Just about to push the button on a Model Y LR.

I agree, hence me wanting to get it finalised :)
Car cost £49,300 new. (Midnight Silver, 19"). Added EAP after the fact.
Interesting. When did you request the trade in? I'm wondering if its worth visiting a showroom to obtain an updated trade in figure.

What colour are you going to order for your model Y and would you consider another MSM? I'm probably going for the white as the 20" wheel contrast well.

Received estimate 2nd Mar. Added to order 6th Mar, still waiting for final offer. Going for MSM / 19" and may get the alloys powder coated. I wanted White / 20" same as you but was overruled :p
LOL! Thanks for the info.

I'm also at risk of being overruled. Both my wife and daughter don't like the white. However, I think it looks really good - this was the car I drove yesterday.

I've been told that it will be my car, so choose whatever colour I want. However, the underlying message from SWMBO was clear :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_1079 (002).JPG
    IMG_1079 (002).JPG
    562 KB · Views: 36
Order the "wrong" colour (the correct one for you), then when it turns up give the Tesla team advance notice of how you're going to performatively kick up a fuss about "how could you get my order so wrong?? I'll have to accept it now, jeez!" whilst winking excessively.

Problem solved. Then it's not your fault.